R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #1936
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Good idea on the antenna wire, but keep in mind that what you have built there is an air-core inductor, a few tents of a micro-henry by the look of it, and even though its not doing anything bad for you in the way you have it, it IS possible to bundle the thing up in such a way that at a certain signal strength (a certain distance from the transmitter, may be two inches or two miles, but most likely never) and a certain frequency, it will blind out your signal and you will have a badly working R/C airplane instead of a car. I'm a little bit of a stickler for this stuff, and its almost certainly no problem, but for the asthetics its not a risk I would take. I just string mine up through my front suspension and body post holes.

Hey, they made me learn this shit in school, I might as well use it for this as I certainly don't use it for my job.
RC Tech needs more posts like this. Very good insight, thank you.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #1937
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Good idea on the antenna wire, but keep in mind that what you have built there is an air-core inductor, a few tents of a micro-henry by the look of it, and even though its not doing anything bad for you in the way you have it, it IS possible to bundle the thing up in such a way that at a certain signal strength (a certain distance from the transmitter, may be two inches or two miles, but most likely never) and a certain frequency, it will blind out your signal and you will have a badly working R/C airplane instead of a car. I'm a little bit of a stickler for this stuff, and its almost certainly no problem, but for the asthetics its not a risk I would take. I just string mine up through my front suspension and body post holes.

Hey, they made me learn this shit in school, I might as well use it for this as I certainly don't use it for my job.
I use the exact same antenna "bundling" technique. Is there a way of cancelling out this effect? Such as, if I run the end of the antenna through the wrapped antenna would that cancel it out?
erchn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #1938
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erchn View Post
I use the exact same antenna "bundling" technique. Is there a way of cancelling out this effect? Such as, if I run the end of the antenna through the wrapped antenna would that cancel it out?
Like I said, its not a big deal unless you hit the wrong combo right on the head of the nail, so don't worry, its biggest drawback would be limiting your range, but isn't a problem if you just run indoors and never have the car more than a hundred yards from you. Definitely not a suggested setup for airplanes.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. CRC Xi, Xti, and Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model, and B4 Buggy.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #1939
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Here is the best I could do. Didn't come out as well as I had hoped . I ended up having to add 45g of weight to the outside edge to get the car to balance and the car is still significantly lighter than my TC6.1 was (where I only had to add 30g).

Wires in the servo we re-routed out the other side and switched to black wire. Same for the Tekin RS. Replaced the PT wire with black. Painted the Seis fan wires black.

Also removed the nub since someone gave me a hard time earlier . Now to finish setting it up and paint a body so I can race tomorrow.

or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #1940
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Here is the best I could do. Didn't come out as well as I had hoped . I ended up having to add 45g of weight to the outside edge to get the car to balance and the car is still significantly lighter than my TC6.1 was (where I only had to add 30g).

Wires in the servo we re-routed out the other side and switched to black wire. Same for the Tekin RS. Replaced the PT wire with black. Painted the Seis fan wires black.
Run your power wires over the top deck, and push the battery under the top deck, this will let you use a lot less weight to balance, then just add what you need to make min down the center. Put the sies fan in front of the motor below the tekin, this will redistribute its weight a bit to help.

I only have 10g on the left side for balance, but the LRP is a little heavier than a tekin.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #1941
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
Run your power wires over the top deck, and push the battery under the top deck, this will let you use a lot less weight to balance, then just add what you need to make min down the center. Put the sies fan in front of the motor below the tekin, this will redistribute its weight a bit to help.

I only have 10g on the left side for balance, but the LRP is a little heavier than a tekin.
Do I just rely on tape to hold in place or how do I keep it from running into the belt? Maybe I missed something.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #1942
Tech Champion

Quote:
Do I just rely on tape to hold in place or how do I keep it from running into the belt? Maybe I missed something.
If you use an xray center weight, that works, I have screws in the center holes, and dremeled plastic nuts to act as stoppers. You could shoo goo a small piece of carbon or plastic as well.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #1943
Tech Champion

Just redid my car:
Old 06-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #1944
Tech Lord

Quote:
Here is the best I could do. Didn't come out as well as I had hoped . I ended up having to add 45g of weight to the outside edge to get the car to balance and the car is still significantly lighter than my TC6.1 was (where I only had to add 30g)
Do you prefer that look over moving your electronics in closer to the middle and placing those weights flat on the chassis? You could cover them with a CF sticker. Or what about stacking them up behind your servo on their side? It would be kind of like having a normal length servo, but you've got the room.

I've never seen a competitive car with weight hanging off the side like that. Never.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #1945
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Do you prefer that look over moving your electronics in closer to the middle and placing those weights flat on the chassis? You could cover them with a CF sticker. Or what about stacking them up behind your servo on their side? It would be kind of like having a normal length servo, but you've got the room.

I've never seen a competitive car with weight hanging off the side like that. Never.
I planned to lay them flat between the motor and esc but couldn't get it to balance there without making the car overweight. Also you've seen plenty of competitive cars with weight hanging off the side. Just look at the battery side.

Last edited by or8ital; 06-02-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #1946
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

E4RS. this is not nearly as clean as i would have liked, but it was an experiment really. got TONS of sleeving and heatshrink to try again later.

valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #1947
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nowhere near as ugly as my car, thats for sure.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. CRC Xi, Xti, and Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model, and B4 Buggy.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #1948
Tech Lord

Surprised none of you are sporting this yet:

http://driftmission.com/active-hobby...eceiver-shell/
Old 06-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #1949
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

Esc shield would make more sense to me. Much more money to get smashed. Doesnt seem like a worthwhile purchuse for onroad cars though.
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #1950
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Surprised none of you are sporting this yet:

http://driftmission.com/active-hobby...eceiver-shell/
Hey Syn,
Send me one and I will switch to Futaba just to try it out! Blue please.