Wiki Posts
Search

yokomo bc-ss charger

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 11:42 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default yokomo bc-ss charger

anyone here have the yokomo bc-ss charger could give me some idea what settings i should use for charging GP3300 cells?
im charging at 6amps and i tried using 20mv delta peak and it makes the cell way way too hot, then i lowered it to 10mv, a little better, but still really hot, but 0mv false peaks!! should i follow the intructions and charge at 4.5-5 amps, or charging the way i was charging was fine?

thanks
Old 09-22-2003, 06:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've been charging at 5 to 6 amps with the 20mv cutoff for my GP's with no problems. If you think they're getting too hot then try using the temp cutoff while your charging. I believe the ideal temp is around 125 deg but I don't know what that is in celsius like the charger reads.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:28 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by Matt Howard
I've been charging at 5 to 6 amps with the 20mv cutoff for my GP's with no problems. If you think they're getting too hot then try using the temp cutoff while your charging. I believe the ideal temp is around 125 deg but I don't know what that is in celsius like the charger reads.
when im charging at 6amps 20mv cut off, my cell temp goes up to 150F+ that is more than 60C which is way over the recommended temp! and if i use the temp cut off, it only puts around less than 3000 mah into my 3300! but if i use the same set up with my pitbull charger, the cell gets to around 113F or 45C and it fully charges it!! im really stumped!
Old 09-22-2003, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

are you doing the Yokomo Charge or the regular Peak charge?

I found that the Yokomo Charge makes the packs heat up really bad. I use only the Peak Charge now. Also Yokomo reccomends that the Yok Charge you do 1.5 amps more then regular. I charged a discharged old 3300 pack at 6.5 and within 10min the cells were too hot to handle.

Peak Charging the cells using just 6amps get my cells around 130F

Mike Webb
Old 09-22-2003, 08:48 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by mike_Webb
are you doing the Yokomo Charge or the regular Peak charge?

I found that the Yokomo Charge makes the packs heat up really bad. I use only the Peak Charge now. Also Yokomo reccomends that the Yok Charge you do 1.5 amps more then regular. I charged a discharged old 3300 pack at 6.5 and within 10min the cells were too hot to handle.

Peak Charging the cells using just 6amps get my cells around 130F

Mike Webb
how many amps are you charging? im charging at 6amps are peak charge and it makes the cell really hot!! but i dont have that problem with my other chargers!
Old 09-22-2003, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

I charge using the Peak Mode at 5 and 6 amps. I did the Yok charge at 6.5 amps and it got way to hot. Any Charge using the Yok charge and they got way to hot. I did 5amps on the Yok charge and they got way to hot.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:53 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by mike_Webb
I charge using the Peak Mode at 5 and 6 amps. I did the Yok charge at 6.5 amps and it got way to hot. Any Charge using the Yok charge and they got way to hot. I did 5amps on the Yok charge and they got way to hot.
hmm, then it might be my cells then! never tried using the yok charge yet! knowing that the normal peak charge toast my cells already, i wonder if yok charge would acutally melt them!
Old 09-23-2003, 06:31 AM

Originally posted by disaster999
hmm, then it might be my cells then! never tried using the yok charge yet! knowing that the normal peak charge toast my cells already, i wonder if yok charge would acutally melt them!
At 5-6am with 20-25 cut off should not be a problem BUT you need a fan blowing directly to the batteries. If not, the batteries will get hot and your battery is not properly/best charged.

My advise, sell it and get pulsar for better performance. The yoks BCS is not worth the money and you will get problem in the long run (error...this and that). Of course if you could get ProTrak or GFX it would be nicer.

This is just my opinion based on using, selling as well as receiving complains and reimbursing customers. Sure there are a lot of yoks die hard out there still.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

you don't want a fan blowing on the batteries...this is a good way of killing your cells...you want a fan on them when you are discharging but not while charging. Friend did this last year and ruined 2 new packs.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Yokomo BCS Charger

125 Degrees F = 52C on the charger.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I temped my batteries as they were peaking this week and with by BCSS they were peaking at around 50 deg C.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:07 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by Matt Howard
I temped my batteries as they were peaking this week and with by BCSS they were peaking at around 50 deg C.
i think this gotta be the batteries problem, but i charged a pack of pro matched 6 cell with the yok charge setting at 9 amps since it told me to charge 1.5times the usual amps i charge at...so i did, left it there while im racing and stuff, after it finished charging, i took it off the charger, thats when i felt that the battery was a LITTLE bit too hot! i got my friends temp gun and it was freaking 250F!!!! i was like..holy SH*T its hotter than my F*CKING engine running lean! tossed that into the fan for a while...man they are toasted!
Old 10-21-2003, 12:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

YOU XXXXXX
WHO TELL YOU TO CHARGE MY PACK AT 9AMP. No wonder you have to put it on the fan. Yo if that's how you do things, I'll start sticking labels and send you tons of post it reminder note on all my stuff that is within your reach.

LUCKILY that pack is dying~~~~ Next time use common sense. I think i read somewhere Yok charge charge as if was few amps higher than it was preset, not setting it to 9AMP or 1.5 time higher than normal charge rate. Also Promatch recommend 5amp charge rate, you know what, I'll be asking you for $$$ for my next 6cell pack.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 264 (100%+)

Charge at 6 amps with a 8mv cut off. your packs should peak out around 145 to 155 deg F.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by disaster999
i think this gotta be the batteries problem, but i charged a pack of pro matched 6 cell with the yok charge setting at 9 amps since it told me to charge 1.5times the usual amps i charge at...so i did, left it there while im racing and stuff, after it finished charging, i took it off the charger, thats when i felt that the battery was a LITTLE bit too hot! i got my friends temp gun and it was freaking 250F!!!! i was like..holy SH*T its hotter than my F*CKING engine running lean! tossed that into the fan for a while...man they are toasted!
jeeze....9A? That's 3C on a GP3300 pack, and will kill it without a second thought.

At 250F you killed it. Sorry man...

All:

Never charge GP3300s at more than 2C, or 6.6A. Ever. For that matter, you probably shouldn't charge any battery at more than 2C.

NiMH cells are exothermic when they charge. That means that the chemical reaction that's being driven backwards while you charge them gives off heat as it runs. The faster you charge them, the more heat gets generated. You can see where this is going...

This has been a public service announcement.

-dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.