Wiki Posts
Search

Beginner car for 540 Class

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 05:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Beginner car for 540 Class

I am a brand new to all this stuff and was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance to what might be a good car to start out with.

I am specifically looking at the 540 class because the club nearest recommends this for beginners.

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Cyclone S. i think they are a 150$ and very capable and upgradeable down the road.

We run a 540 spec class bassed soley on box stock Cyclone S chassis. Our local a-main winner took it out to our 13.5 class just to prove its capability. First night out with just a tire change and motor change, he placed the car 2nd place. This was with no track time and no setup or hopups. 150$ vs 500$ cars that nite. It was just nice to see that cheap does not equal slow.

Other considerations are full out pro level cars, buy once. TC5,Xray 007-009,cyclone TC ect ect
Old 01-01-2009, 05:50 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks man. I am looking for the cheaper end of the market. Are those prices US?
Old 01-01-2009, 05:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

My advice is - get used top car. Many people found it here as great choice. You can get great car with most needed tuning or modifications this way.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcdude8
Thanks man. I am looking for the cheaper end of the market. Are those prices US?
yes us prices. Of course used will get you more bang for your buck, but i tell you i much rather build a kit
Old 01-01-2009, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

My request for anyone rookies are these 2 tub cars, of course you could add graphite low deck if you prefer:

TA05 easy to drive and setup in any conditions

TB03 took advantage against belt drive cars in the transmission, less maintenance due also to be shaft drive, but i don't think i could be s nice as Ta05 if race on tight and slippery tracks

So the matter is "where will you race".
Old 01-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

TA05 or 2nd hand top level car. Both are good choices, both can be easily had for less than $150
Old 01-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcdude8
I am a brand new to all this stuff and was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance to what might be a good car to start out with.

I am specifically looking at the 540 class because the club nearest recommends this for beginners.

Any help is much appreciated.
If you are not a serious racer and just take it for fun, here I saw a guy selling Tamiya TB02D for $140. It is a shaft driven car but already has some upgrade in it like TRF shocks(this is the most attractive part) and aluminum drive shaft, plus it has 540 23T motor in it which you might be able to use in your local race. It is not a popular car at the moment but you can still find parts somewhere, search for the price for TB02D on the internet (it is not normal TB02), you will find 140 is very cheap.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I just finished my first 6 week "540 silver can series". My best advice (if it's in your budget) is to get a new car and build it yourself...pay extremely close attention to the manual. The build experience is really valuable when you have to fix something.

I ran the Tamiya TA05 IFS-"R", which is a great car. Wanted more precision and accurate tunability, so just sold it and am putting two used xray 007 chassis together. You don't need to get the "R" version, BTW. If you're just using it as a stepping-stone car, get the regular TA05 or TA05 IFS.

Don't be afraid to ask questions at your track. Pay really close attention to the consistently fast drivers. If your track is anything like mine, there will be no shortage of valuable advice!

Oh yeah...have fun!
Old 01-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by 05forfun
If you are not a serious racer and just take it for fun, here I saw a guy selling Tamiya TB02D for $140. It is a shaft driven car but already has some upgrade in it like TRF shocks(this is the most attractive part) and aluminum drive shaft, plus it has 540 23T motor in it which you might be able to use in your local race. It is not a popular car at the moment but you can still find parts somewhere, search for the price for TB02D on the internet (it is not normal TB02), you will find 140 is very cheap.
140 is a good deal....I just bought TB03D for $210 on ebay....and its just the rolling chassis... man, my pockets getting lighter
Old 01-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TXwasabixx1
140 is a good deal....I just bought TB03D for $210 on ebay....and its just the rolling chassis... man, my pockets getting lighter
Here you go, this is the link. I don't know if he has put this car on ebay. To be honest dude, you can beat 140, plus it is not a normal TB02 but TB02D
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...2d-others.html
Old 01-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by 05forfun
Here you go, this is the link. I don't know if he has put this car on ebay. To be honest dude, you can beat 140, plus it is not a normal TB02 but TB02D
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...2d-others.html
killer deal....i wish i knew about this sooner Man, really i paid like $165 but the shipping from HONG FREAKIN KONG to US was like 45 bucks.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Regular

If you are all new I would suggest you buy a car and build it yourself. It will teach you the in's and out's of your car...how everything works. It is much more difficult to try to figure out what someone else has done to a car if you have no experence. With a fresh box stock car you know where you are starting from.

As far as the high end cars go, don't waste your money. Sure there is no question that they are better, but the only people that can get that much out of a car are the people that you see in the magazines. And to tell you the truth any of those people would stomp the best club racer with a TA-05 or cyclone S.

You need a car that is good at the club level is going to take some pounding, you will be on the boards quite a bit as you get up to speed.

See what kind of parts are local available at the place you are going to race, you don't want to break a part that will put you out of the evening. And you always break the part you don't have. If they don't stock parts get something that you think you will like.

Personally I think the worst thing to do is buy a used top level car, you need to start at the ground level, and it is a very good feeling when that TA-05 passes that guy in the $500 Xray.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

There are people that advice to buy new car because you have to build it on your own and teach yourself how it works. I think it's quite obvious if you buy used car that you'll disasseble and build again just to check if everything is ok (at least I did it with every used car I bought - no matter who was selling it to me). Also experience from our club is that some people bought Tamiya's here and despite lots of tuning (in the end probably more expensive than top car) it didn't perform as they wanted. Then they bought used top cars and they improved their times immediately. They didn't have problems as before anymore. That's just my experience and opinion.

And yes you probably won't feel difference between 2 newest models, but you'll feel difference between new budget car and used top car.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cherokee
If you are all new I would suggest you buy a car and build it yourself. It will teach you the in's and out's of your car...how everything works. It is much more difficult to try to figure out what someone else has done to a car if you have no experence. With a fresh box stock car you know where you are starting from.

As far as the high end cars go, don't waste your money. Sure there is no question that they are better, but the only people that can get that much out of a car are the people that you see in the magazines. And to tell you the truth any of those people would stomp the best club racer with a TA-05 or cyclone S.

You need a car that is good at the club level is going to take some pounding, you will be on the boards quite a bit as you get up to speed.

See what kind of parts are local available at the place you are going to race, you don't want to break a part that will put you out of the evening. And you always break the part you don't have. If they don't stock parts get something that you think you will like.

Personally I think the worst thing to do is buy a used top level car, you need to start at the ground level, and it is a very good feeling when that TA-05 passes that guy in the $500 Xray.
True, when you see, for example, your Cyclone S passes others' Cyclone TC, you know your better than those who only know buy expensive kits

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.