Wiki Posts
Search

Beginner car for 540 Class

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcdude8
It's just a guy said to me never to get an RTR because it won't be competitive. Anyways I guess not everyone can agree on that. I am going with RTR and will replace the ESC.
Good choice. The RTR kit is competitive out of the box and you can always upgrade parts later if you want to race brushless motors, etc...

3Racing make all the upgrade parts you might need for later.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Tech Regular

get a used cyclone WCE, the money you spend upgrading cheaper cars will be more than just goin for the good stuff from the start. Its a very capable car, I drove it when I was still a noob and it worked great for me. Very durable too, although make sure you use the "hard" version steering knuckle and c-hub, I have only broken a few suspension related parts in the 2 years ive had the car.
Plus they are very easy to work on, and alot of pro drivers have used the cyclone (it was world champion after all), so there are plenty of setup sheets out there to get you started. Just remember, dont skimp on the important things when it comes to buying a car, or you will end up payying more in the long run. Good luck on your shopping!

Mike
Old 01-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Cyclone is a good car, but if you are going to replace the ESC anyway I would suggest that you get the kit version of the car....I think they sell the S in kit form.

What do other guys where you are going to race run? what kind of parts to they have at the shop...if any parts.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Adept

For around $600AU I can get all the gear I need to start whereas if I buy the kit it's going to cost me around $900. I'd rather have a cheaper intial fee and then pay more in the long run.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

any esc can be used with lipos, provided, as long as it can handle up to 8.4v (fully charged lipo) of input voltage.

you can also use one without a cutoff, provided, that you be mindful of your run time and stop before your lipos becomes fully drained. i've been racing this way since i got my first lipo and never incinerated one.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:46 AM
Tech Adept

Well I am probably going to replace the ESC later down the track anyway so I may as well do it now and then not have to do it later.

Kit is looking the better option ATM.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:19 AM
Tech Champion

When I got into the hobby, some 15 years ago or so, I got an off road car that was already prebuilt as it wasnt new.

I didnt understand how to take it apart and clean or repair it for a while without someone showing me, but if I had got it new I would have had a better understanding earlier on.

For me, that's why I would suggest anyone coming into the hobby and racing that they buy a kit, as they need to have first hand knowledge of how their car is built.

Some people may be more inclined to give up the hobby if they cant fix a car, but if they know from the start how a car is built it will get respected more, rather than something thats all ready to hit the track.

Don't get me wrong, not everyone enters the hobby and can't maintain a car, but i'm more than sure that it helps if you have some knowledge
Old 01-07-2009, 04:37 AM
Tech Adept

Well if I can get the kit for $125.99 I will take that option. Then I can source the parts and it will be all good.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:00 AM
Tech Champion

If you are racing, you will be spending some time with the car and therefore need to know how it works, hence a kit.

If you are bashing, chances are you wont need to fix it too much and an RTR might work out cheaper.

Also, buying a kit doesnt tie you down to the electrics supplied, as there are none Even if you cant buy the most expensive or preferred car, you can still buy better electrics from the start should you want to.

Downside is, if racing isnt for you and you got the more expensive stuff, then you've just blown quite a bit of money.

You've just gotta work out whats best for you, get yourself to a track a few times and see how things are, hang around for a chat with people and ask a few questions if need be
Old 01-07-2009, 05:06 AM
Tech Adept

I did do some racing back a year and half or so ago and really enjoyed it. It's just the car I had sucked and so I have just sold it, adding $200 to my bank account and into my savings for this hobby.

Hopefully I will get into the hobby more if I have a better understanding of my car and lets hope I can make it to at least 1 out of the 2 meetings each month. (My dad has to drive me there (40 mins) and we have to leave about 8am and don't get back til about 1 or 2pm so my mum doesn't let me do it often.)
Old 01-07-2009, 05:12 AM
Tech Champion

Well, whatever you choose don't rush into it

One thing I would not buy cheap on is a steering servo. Some have very poor performance and really hold back someone from doing well at their racing. If your car isnt turning quick enough into the corner, you are going to be going around the corners wider and loosing time.

Once you have the right equipment for you, my best advice is practice, practice and practice more You cna never put enough focus into being on the track and getting the car around it as quick as you can.

The less mistakes you make the quicker you are going to have a smile on your face when the car is going well, your race times get quicker and you're not replacing broken stuff.

Watch how the fast guys race, usually the line they take around the track is the quickest and easiest.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:23 AM
Tech Adept

Most of the guys in the 540 class are younger guys sorta like 11-20. I am in the middle of that range. Most of them are beginners like myself, but there a couple who could be a challenge in there .
Old 01-07-2009, 05:28 AM
Tech Champion

Well, once you've done well there, step up to higher competition and your racing will improve even more

Just like Micheal Shumacher didnt start off racing an F1 car
Old 01-07-2009, 08:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rcdude8
Most of the guys in the 540 class are younger guys sorta like 11-20. I am in the middle of that range. Most of them are beginners like myself, but there a couple who could be a challenge in there .

Some people just like the class, I personally don't care for the super fast classes, I have raced everything up to 1/8 on road, so it is not the speed for me. I like the spec classes because the speeds are more realistic and it awards smooth driving....a skill that will serve you well if you do move up.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Tech Adept

Well I have managed to get a Cyclone S kit for $225AUD, so its back to finding the electronics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.