R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-30-2008, 06:24 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Lightbulb Project Vette...

Okay, so I've been lurking around various RC boards for a while and have never seen anything like this attempted. It's more of a "can I do it" project than it is serious. But so far its going pretty good.

I have a New Bright 1:6 corvette...lol.

I'm attempting to hop it up to being at-least a vaguely worthy opponent for mostly just parking lot races/small tournaments.

...I'm also attempting to do this as cheaply as possible. Just because it's more interesting.

I'm mainly just wanting opinions on what to use, calling me crazy, ect.

onto the build...

So, I've ripped most of the stock equipment out (well the board went when I fried it due to a water accident.) It's been replaced with a cheapie dollar general RC toy board I stripped out of RC buggy.

I haven't gotten around to a speed controller as of yet, but I allready have an idea how to wire one up with radio shack parts. (Using throttle on time instead of throttle positioning, as these boards do not support that haha. will be "interesting" to drive)

I already have it assembled, I'm just adjusting things as I go.

Motor: http://www.johnsonelectric.com/media...&IdProduct=493

Engine: 2x 12v cordless drill batteries in series to over-voltage that motor to 24v.

Board/Relays + steering: 6x AA (Soon to be replaced with a lightweight NiCd I salvaged.

The motor is controlled via relay to save the board since the power would be much for any type of "size-able" transistor network.

Right now I'm working on the gearing. It came with extremely short gears, 3 deep with one double geared. So I wont bother figuring out the ratio of them. I'm eliminating the second (double) gear to have a strait 2 gear setup. The rear axil is solid (ie. locked) so power-sliding well will be an absolute must.

All opinions are welcomed I'll post pics if anyone wants me to. I doubt to many care so I won't bother right now.

P.S. I already "had" to eliminate reverse so I can use the reverse signal to operate a engine brake. I also might add "band-drum" brakes onto the axil. I haven't decided if it will be needed yet.

Wish me luck,

After I get the gearbox modding done, I might go back to a 12v setup if 24v is heating the motor under that load. So far I'm not having any particular heat issues unless I stall it.

Last edited by killer7; 12-30-2008 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Notes
killer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
Tech Elite
Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

By all means post some pics!!

It may be a cool project.
Support your local tracks!--|--e-teamhobbyplex.com--|--corrc.org--|

NNFaN Paints - Add some pride to YOUR ride.
a_main_attendee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

Alright, I'll take a few pics when I get it reassembled, the gears for the cheap steering mechanism blew out on me so I've been tearing it down.
killer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

how about... You use those batteries with a MMM combo, and make it fly
HPI E-Firestorm - Tamiya TA05 racer (carbon chassis, 10.5 brushless etc) - LRP Blast S10 BX - Revo 2.5r truggy conversion (in progress)
joe of loath is offline   Reply With Quote