Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default problem with ESC?

I was wondering if you guys could help me out,

car: TA04 with most hop ups
ESC: Futaba MC600C Pro Sport ESC
motor: 540 silver can
batterys: 3000 team orion stick pack x2, GP3300 Fukuyama stick pack x2,
charger: CDC V6.0B

symptoms: get on the track with a freshly charged pack, at first the car is punchy and goes great, but over time the car feels like it is slowly loosing power, it is very slow and linear, it does not happen in one go,

if I take the car off the track and leave it for a while then come back and try again again it does the same thing,

We have tried a number of things to try to isolate the problem,

3 different 540 motors, both with and without diode
different gearing,
resetting the ESC about 6 times
my batterys being charged on someone elses CDC charger
using other persons batterys charged on my charger
resoldering conections to Deans plug

running at my local track normal 540 4WD 5min race this is what my track time is per lap in seconds (I am going off what I remembered looking at the printout)

I have also spoken to at least a dozen pro's at my local track and most have no idea what it could be, some are pointing at the ESC,

could a bad solder connection cause this sort of problem?

what do you guys think?
Old 09-26-2003, 08:15 AM
Tech Addict

Sounds like a bad ESC... simple enough to check, just borrow one from somebody, throw in the same motor and same batteries. If the symptom goes away, the problem is with your esc... if it stays, maybe its your packs... try somebody elses pack.

Im guessing the esc swap will fix it.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Your gear mesh set correctly? Sounds to me like something mechanical and not electrical, make sure nothing is binding in the drivetrain, also check your bearings to make sure one hasn't come apart.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Hi holycow,

I have tried other peoples packs and is issue is still there,

I will try to arrange another ESC to test with,

Hi proudwinner,

I am using the same set of gears that I was using before this issue arose,

the car is fairly new and just went through a extensive hop up frenzy where I checked all the bearings,
Old 09-26-2003, 08:44 AM
Tech Regular

Default bad ESC

it's a bad ESC not doubt, i had an old Tekin that did the same in a 1/12 scale car. i put a new novak in it at all was fine
Old 09-26-2003, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

hes talking about the mesh not the gear numbers you are using, if it is too toght ur motor will heat up much quicker and drop your lap times.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:19 PM
Tech Addict

Im just having a hard time keeping my eyes off Rod's avatar... how beautifuly distracting

With the motor out of the car, does the drivetrian spin freely? If so... its the ESC for sure.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:49 PM
Tech Adept

Default Problem with Futaba MC600C

Hi Rod M,

Just want to tell you I have more or less same problem, or even worst, for a brand new MC600C.

Actually I run it on a silver can motor to break in my new TB Evo 3 SE. I run it very very slow for 3 packs of batt. As speed is so low, I don't realize any problem. After that I try to reduce the lap time with full throttle at strait. The first 2 laps, the MC600 works perfect. 3rd to 8the lap, you feel the car slow down and throttle refuse to response quick. Within 2 laps, the car totally stopped.

I just pick up the car and try to find out what happened on the working table. The ESC is hot (compared with MC800). After I let it rest for 10 minutes and cool down. The MC600 runs for another 2 lap in great performance, then ...... I totally tried 3 times, and results are the same.

Finally I change to MC800, everything goes alright. So the conclusion is problem is come from MC600 with no question.

It is really disappointted for a brand new ESC. Especially, it comes from the name of Futaba who give me good image on MC800.

Now ESC and money has all gone.

Anthony Yuen

P.S. Air Temperature ~ 30 C
Old 09-27-2003, 11:50 PM
Tech Regular

Hope I can assist in answering this question with some possibilites.

first of, I do believe since you've already tried the above the your ESC is at fault. Probably one or more of the internal mosfet is overheating to a point where it can't take any current so whatever goes in will only dissapate with some mosfet not functioning.

two would be your gearing ration might be too high causing the motor to overheat and loose it's magnetic force causing the slowdown of your motor. This depends on what you're geared at but seldomly the case.

The best suggestion I have for you is to get a smally accurate temp probe/gun first probe your esc, then run your car a few laps to a point where it'll slow down and probe to see what the temp it again. I really suspect your it's your esc so you migh even want to open up the esc case (warning!: warranty may void once open) and see if one or more of your internal mosfet is burned up. You can also tell if you open it up by looking at it and see if some of the solder is spattered around the legs. Good luck and hope this helps.

Jim
Old 09-28-2003, 12:51 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You might want to see if you can bum a speedo from a buddy for a run before you lay down the bucks for a new speedo. That should confirm your problem should it be the speedo.

edit - Silly me, I guess others have already said that. Either it's late (3:00am), or i was distraced by your avatar. Either way, oops!
Old 09-28-2003, 02:36 AM
Tech Addict

It does look as though it's an ESC fault.

Based on the similar problems others have had with the MC600, I would write to Futaba once you have definetely found the ESC is the problem, and ask them to fix it. Maybe offer to pay some extra and get an MC800.

In my experience ESC manufacturers are pretty good with waranty claims.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated

when running the car at the track for about 10 laps, I pulled it off and some of the local pro's checked the temp of the motor and ESC (by hand) they all said that the temps of both components were well below a dangerous level, (i.e that was not the problem)

I believe that it must be a faulty ESC,

time to return it to Andy at Hobby Mania (he does accept returns I hope)
Old 10-20-2003, 05:03 AM
Tech Master

Thumbs up

OK, it looks like the ESC was faulty,

I managed to pick up a Futaba MC330 and it is alll working fine,

because of my ESC problems I never got a chance to really test out the new Fukuyama cells I recieved last month,

my lap times have now improved on average by 1.5 - 2.0 seconds from before the ESC issue arose,