Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Should Stock Brushed Motors go away in higher level events? >

Should Stock Brushed Motors go away in higher level events?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should Stock Brushed Motors go away in higher level events?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joezjr
I run brushless 17.5 in both my 12th and TA car. I like brushless. But one thing I am so sick of hearing is that people complaining about working on brushed motors. In all honesty it makes you sound lazy.
I dont think it makes me sound lazy when Iwas doing nothing but turning comms and tuning motors for 4 cars a race day(2 mine,2 for my son). Hell I literally jumped up and did the happy dance when roar approved the 17.5 for stock!! It made my racing MUCH more enjoyable this year.I now no longer anticipate and dread race days.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:28 AM
Tech Legend

JimL
Sedan is doomed , will never be able to renew if a better system is`nt created ...

No beginner will pay to compete against racers who have years of
experience and thousands in equipment as it is now ....

Then there are the experience racers like me .
I won`t race a class designed for beginners and keep beating the same ....

Doomed ......

Better get that guy you said failed and start helping him, If you love this sport ...
Old 12-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
JimL
Sedan is doomed , will never be able to renew if a better system is`nt created ...

Doomed ......

Better get that guy you said failed and start helping him, If you love this sport ...
I'm not understanding what you're saying here. Last time i checked, the Novak race has a SPORTSMAN class, a 17.5 class, a 13.5 class, a 10.5 class, and a mod class. Pick your motor and experience level and there are plenty of guys there to compete with. And last time i checked as well (which was club racing LAST NIGHT) we had a sportsman class, a 17.5 class, and a 13.5 class. Again, pick your skill level and motor and there were enough guys there to compete, even on a day where we got almost 7" of snow!

As far as the money goes, sure, it cost me a bit to get into brushless as i have three electric cars, but i was also able to sell all my speedos and motors, and i was able to sell my APS Dyno so i made some of my money back. Not to mention when i went to Lipo, i sold ALL of my batteries except for 1 and made about half back of what i put into my three lipos. Definately a money saver there. Haven't had to buy motors or batteries in like over a year.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Francis M.
Can I ask why everyone is in such a rush to get rid of the Brushed Stock?

I don't have anymore brushed motors and don't understand the need to force a couple of people to buy brushless, especially in this economy...
+1
Old 12-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
JimL

Doomed ......

All your statements are not exclusive to sedan!!

Last edited by Francis M.; 12-24-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AssocRacer
Haven't had to buy motors or batteries in like over a year.
and that right there is priceless!!
Old 12-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Francis M.

Can I ask why everyone is in such a rush to get rid of the Brushed Stock?

I don't have anymore brushed motors and don't understand the need to force a couple of people to buy brushless, especially in this economy...
Rick Hohwart

+1
I was laid off of work a month ago... right after my friend (12th scale Miles C.) suggested I run Vintage Trans Am and break out my 4-year-old XXX-S, paint a vintage body and glue up some cool-looking HPI 5-spoke wheels and treaded tires. I won my first race after having NOT raced in four years.

It'd be pretty cruel to lead a thirsty old horse to water and then kick the trough over. All I have are stock brushed motors and a lathe... I don't have a magnet zapper and I don't do anything else to my motors except blueprint them and my stuff isn't slow. I never did do anything else to my motors and I was the sportsman stock racer to beat for quite a while at my home track. After four years off, I can come back relaxed and have fun getting beat by the guys I used to race with :-)~ ...even while doing a comm cut.

At the next race there was a threat of no Vintage class but there was something new called RCGT. I blew the dust off of a TC3 I had laying around, was given a set of pre-glued X Patterns and with a LiPo batt that someone else gave me and a 27t I qualified 7 out of 43 guys... I can't wait to race again!

I'm out of work, and things aren't looking too bright economically at the moment, but I can still run on Saturday for just an entry fee. I want to run brushed; it's simple for me. I don't have to change brushes every two 5 minute runs anymore either... and the car is still competetive.

I just want to run; just want to drive, to practice (but there's no place locally these days...) and to race... and for the next few months at least, with a 27turn!

Merry Christmas, racers!
Old 12-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a moment.

This thread was started by Dawn. Her purpose is to gather information to make ROAR racing better.

In the over one million anit-ROAR posts, one "suggestion" that keeps coming up is ROAR should run races like the independant races are run ie Snowbirds.

Now most of these national level non-ROAR races have gone brushless only. It's worth pointing out that there was little to no opposition to this decision.

So ROAR is considering going brushless only at Regional and National events. Only considering mind you. And already there are more posts complaining about it here than in all the other threads.

I believe Dawn shares my opinion that at the local level the track should do whatever it takes to get as many people racing as possible. If there are a handful of guys who want to run older brushed motors let them! There's no discussion here about not allowing brushed stock or super stock motors at the local level. Each track has to decide for themselves how best to run their program.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a moment.

This thread was started by Dawn. Her purpose is to gather information to make ROAR racing better.

In the over one million anit-ROAR posts, one "suggestion" that keeps coming up is ROAR should run races like the independant races are run ie Snowbirds.

Now most of these national level non-ROAR races have gone brushless only. It's worth pointing out that there was little to no opposition to this decision.

So ROAR is considering going brushless only at Regional and National events. Only considering mind you. And already there are more posts complaining about it here than in all the other threads.

I believe Dawn shares my opinion that at the local level the track should do whatever it takes to get as many people racing as possible. If there are a handful of guys who want to run older brushed motors let them! There's no discussion here about not allowing brushed stock or super stock motors at the local level. Each track has to decide for themselves how best to run their program.
+1
Old 12-25-2008, 03:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

I vote no to brushed motors at large events.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:31 AM
Tech Addict

Hmmm... Ban brushed motors... Grow the sport/hobby... I guess it can't be questioned in the long run brushless is less expensive. However, some people can't afford to just choke out $250 on an esc/BL motor combo. Kids and entry level people looking at getting a car, electronics, charger, etc. it turns them away quickly. I have a guy who is going to start racing at our club because he can pick up some quality equiptment at a good price. He's a beginner that won't be able to drive as good as the equiptment he's buying anyway. What you do at the top levels does effect the lower levels. I say let them run and let the different mains sort them out.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:33 AM
Tech Lord

A kid or someone coming into this hobby for the first time is not going to the regionals or nats. And if you are going to a regional or national you're going to spend money anyway on tires, parts, and anything else you have that's near it's life cycle. You're not going to go to a big race with less than your best.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jiml
A kid or someone coming into this hobby for the first time is not going to the regionals or nats. And if you are going to a regional or national you're going to spend money anyway on tires, parts, and anything else you have that's near it's life cycle. You're not going to go to a big race with less than your best.
+1..It's not like we are talking about banning brushed at a club level here.That would be silly for a while longer.I can see no problem with going brushless only for regionals and higher levels of competition.And on the real, with BL systems getting cheaper by the day, how much is it to set up a BL car to run either stock or mod?
129.99 novak havok system with 8.5
74.99 novak 17.5
-20.00 discount from tower
184.98 shipped and you have a 17.5 for stock and an 8.5 for mod.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
+1..It's not like we are talking about banning brushed at a club level here.That would be silly for a while longer.I can see no problem with going brushless only for regionals and higher levels of competition.And on the real, with BL systems getting cheaper by the day, how much is it to set up a BL car to run either stock or mod?
129.99 novak havok system with 8.5
74.99 novak 17.5
-20.00 discount from tower
184.98 shipped and you have a 17.5 for stock and an 8.5 for mod.
Totally agree, and now that companies like Losi and Traxxas are actually making ther RTR's come with BL systems what's the problem here? You can get the Traxxas Rustler, which is an entry level car, for $279 from tower, RTR. Hell, it's getting harder and harder to actually find brushed equipment in the hobby shops now.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by OvalDude99
Finally, someone who looks at this hobby like I do. The best part of this hobby for me is spending time tinkering with motors and such to get more performance. I am tired of the laziness that has come into this. What is wrong with cleaning and working on motors during the week? I say let those of us who like tuning brushed motors and maybe aren't ready to go brushless keep running a stock brushed motor. If it's not competitive, that means you have to work a little and try to get better.

A fast car and the latest equipment will NOT make you a better driver.
My point in all of this is that reading a lot of the posts in many of the forums, it seems everybody is talking about how to get a car to run faster, yet nobody says anything about getting a car to handle better. It's so simple to get a car to go fast in a strait line, but if you can't get it to turn, it's pretty much useless. If people would take a look at the fastest guys, they would notice that it's corner speed that will win the race.
Also, I would like to say that just because everybody at a big event is doing things one way, doesn't mean I am going to play lost sheep and follow their lead. I prefer to do things my way. If it's not competitive, that's my problem.
Somebody please tell me, where has the fun gone is all this. Win or loose, I enjoy racing period.
I have seen a lot of racers come and go because they have lost sight of the fun factor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.