Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR 1/12 weight limit

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sean Cochran
If ROAR is contemplating bring in 1 cell lipo it needs to be it's own class with it's own weight limit. No more throwing everything together and then later trying to sort out how to make it comparable speed wise. I have seen the 1 cell in action and they are "similar" to a 17.5T 4 cell but they are not the same, especially if they are going to have a 65 gram weight break. The big difference I saw was the extra torque of the 13.5t along with the lighter mass of the car accelerating out of the corners, the straight speeds are comparable.

Just my 2cents.

bravo.

+1
Old 12-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I agree that LiPo should be in a different class whenever it makes sense. The only time they should mix 17.5 4 cell and 13.5 LiPo is at club races where there aren't enough racers.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A seperate class would be great and I hope the weight minimum would be done so all cars and reasonable electronics will be able to make the weight.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theisgroup
bravo.

+1

+2
Old 12-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

+3
Old 12-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!

Really, guys? more classes at big races?
Old 12-23-2008, 03:49 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

A note here ROAR is looking at single cells for oval and to provide approved cells for testing and experimenting we are a long way from repowering 1/12th cars. The reality is the voltage is just different so it is not just a simple drop in. While on club level many things will work they do not always transpire at the national level.

Amazing a wt typo became a lipo discussion.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:24 AM
Tech Lord

I think once we come up with a single cell 1/12 class you will see the 4 cell class go away.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Can we get single cell to replace an existing 1/12th class? Perhaps... offer the following:

Mod - Single Cell or 4 Cell Nimh. Keep weight limit at 794.
Super Stock - Nimh 13.5 (Weight to 865)
Stock - Lipo 13.5 (Weight at 794)

Advantage goes to only having one motor for both Super Stock and Stock, reducing the costs overall. Want to run both? Throw a nimh in, and you can run in both SS and Stock classes.

Just my thought for the day.

Paul
Old 12-24-2008, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Sean Cochran
I have tried for the last 2 years to bring up my concerns with weight in 12th scale. This was a problem even before brushless came along. The big problem I see with a weight limit being set too low is it causes racers to spend unnecessary money to make their car lighter. Usually as a consequence of the lighter car something will probably break easier, aluminum screws. Raising the weight limit to a reasonable level costs the racer almost nothing. Seriously, how much is a couple squares of lead?

If ROAR is contemplating bring in 1 cell lipo it needs to be it's own class with it's own weight limit. No more throwing everything together and then later trying to sort out how to make it comparable speed wise. I have seen the 1 cell in action and they are "similar" to a 17.5T 4 cell but they are not the same, especially if they are going to have a 65 gram weight break. The big difference I saw was the extra torque of the 13.5t along with the lighter mass of the car accelerating out of the corners, the straight speeds are comparable.

Just my 2cents.
Perzactly!

1. The brushless supporters want the weight limit to be up at 865 grams for everyone. Then in a year, these same people are going to want the weight limit put back at 795 when the LiPos come out.

2. I don't care how "even" everyone says a Lipo/13.5 will be compared to a NiMH/17.5. One of them is GOING to be faster. It just will. Is a 17.5 brushless the same EXACT speed as a 27T brushed? Nope. Was a 10.5 BL the same EXACT speed as a 19T brushed?

Whoever is on the "losing" end of the arguement isn't going to be happy. If the BL/Lipo combo is faster, then we'll hear 'get with the times/it's taking over" etc. If BL/Lipo is slower, then those people are going to demand a change in the motor spec.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:41 AM
Company Representative

I know of some tracks who have very poor turnouts in 12th scale as racers who have used Lipos in Sedan or other classes simply don't want to buy and deal with sub-c cells anymore.

I think for this year tracks should allow 13.5/single cell to run against 17.5/4 cell and starting next season do seperate classes and I'm sure the Lipo class will be way more popular than the 4 cell class.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:24 AM
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
I know of some tracks who have very poor turnouts in 12th scale as racers who have used Lipos in Sedan or other classes simply don't want to buy and deal with sub-c cells anymore.

I think for this year tracks should allow 13.5/single cell to run against 17.5/4 cell and starting next season do seperate classes and I'm sure the Lipo class will be way more popular than the 4 cell class.
The only way possibly running them together will even be close to fair is if both types run at a fair weight limit for both types of cells. 794 grams is not fair for the Nimh. As I stated before giving the lipo cars a 65-70 gram weight break isn't right. I understand that a lot of people want to run lipos but at a race to determine a National Champion you can't just throw another variable in this class that is currently one of the most popular in the US. Club races can do what they feel is best but lets leave the Nationals alone for this year and them try to implement the lipos in next season. If ROAR wants to allow single cell lipo to run in Mod I'm ok with that, with a fair weight limit, but not in stock.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by a_main_attendee
Really, guys? more classes at big races?
Why don't you read the WHOLE post not just the ONE line about more classes
Old 12-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
I wonder how many racers got turned off on sub-c's because of the IB fiasco of dead cells in packs, cells blowing up, etc. I'll consider running lipo's once SMC has competition in this marketspace. Hopefully, a workable solution can also be found for those wanting to stick with T-bar cars as well.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'm with Sean on this one - make a class for LiPo and then run it. If that takes over from NiMh, then one class lives and one dies - that's life. Nonetheless, remember that by far the vast majority of 12th drivers use NiMh, and to keep pushing something that means they all have to invest money in something new may mean 12th loses more drivers than it gains.

Seems to me that most people over there in ROAR are liking 3.7v/13.5, so why don't you push for that class, and get on board with it? If you did that, and were able to give advice and support to people who want to run it, you'd get more drivers in to it. All the arguing about equivalence is a waste of time, there isn't any.

I hope Sean's views prevail, it seems to me that if there was a 3.7v/13.5 BL class, there would be more 12th drivers...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.