Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR 1/12 weight limit

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 09:02 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
I went ahead and italicized the operative word in your quote. 75% of what racers do is to soothe that beast raging between their ears. They THINK they need to do that crap. 90% of drivers I'VE seen would have seen better results had they snapped a pack in there and gotten a bit of extra practice. THAT'S what makes the difference. If you're running 8 minutes (or 5 as the case may be) clean THEN the additional couple percent more power really makes a difference. Until then, you're fooling yourself.
Sorry Scott, not at this track. These guys are good!

Me, on the other hand, never cut a comm every round. Maybe once a race day. Too much work, and never really helped me anyway.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I personally see that Lipo/Brushless can be beneficial to club racing where you don't have as much time inbetween rounds of racing, but in the same sense, at a big race, I have a lot more time inbetween rounds that afford me the time to do coms and batteries and tires etc.

It just seems like there is a real vocal minority that wants to overturn the apple cart all the time. 1/12th has been pretty much the same for the last 25 years, when 4 cell became popular and the norm, and thats why it keeps coming back in popularity, you can pull out that old 12L and know that its still going to be half decent out there, with a 4 cell battery pack.

Every frickin class is being attacked by the Lipo advocates, why can't they just leave it all alone. I personally believe that the Europeans specifically went to 5 cell just so they wouldn't have to concede to the Lipo technology. But thats just my opinion.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Hello...

If you're consistently running 8 minutes (or 5 as the case may be) clean THEN the additional couple percent more power really makes a difference. Until then, you're fooling yourself.
Amen! My car is just as fast as the new 13.5/lipo, 17.5 Mamba-whatever using a 5 year old hand out motor with five year old Putnam Propulsion brushes still in it. I still can't drive 8 minutes without hitting a bunch of crap, but I would rather spend money on sets of tires and bodies to get track time than a new motor/esc that will supposedly make the car faster. Yea, right! I got beat last weekend by a car that was .02 a lap SLOWER than mine because he didn't touch a board the entire run. I ran him down at least 5 times only to hit something and have to start all over again. Boy was that fun though! That same motor and brushes will be in there again this Sunday. Oh yea, and the slower car is about 4oz lighter than mine due to the lipo he's running.

Hmmm, maybe I do need to go BL/lipo. Might make me drive better.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

LOL Same ole Steve, some things just don't seem to change no matter how long your doing it - or - not doing it...............lol

Happy Holidays my friend
Old 12-31-2008, 12:01 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

And LiPo...anybody who tells me a LiPo pack is going to be easier at the same time it re-introduces receiver packs (honest to god quote: "they aren't so bad") leaves me shaking my head. I guess I'll wait and see what these booster thingies do and how easy they are to incorporate. I'm just looking SO forward to adding yet another electronic doo-hickey to my car that I'm lying awake nights like it's Christmas Eve all over again. I can hardly wait for St. Novak to come down my chimney and servo tape another transistor-fied bit of goodness to my car.
Just in defense of 1 cell lipo a bit, there are guys running them sans RX packs and not having any issues. There are certainly still some kinks to work out but it seems a lot of the initial problems were related to certain electronics and not all of them. As I think you know, I've been running 1/12th scale off and on for a very long time. I'm fully in support of lipos in 1/12th scale or some sort of alternative to NIMH cells simply because I think it's the only way 1/12th scale is going to catch on at my local track and grow as a class. Racing with an RX pack is a heck of a lot better than not racing at all.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Bump to this thread--- Sean C. mentioned in another thread that Roar weight for the upcoming 12th nats was gonna be 865, is this a variance, or the new rule??
Old 01-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

As of right now, this is a deviation.