Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question on DSM Pro & DSM2 compatibility on electric car

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Question on DSM Pro & DSM2 compatibility on electric car as well operation issues

Dear experts, I had a question on DSM modules need your kind assistance & advice. I am using Sanwa M11 with SM1001 Pro transmitter module. As for the receiver it is SR3001 DSM 3 channel Pro.

I had a problem which when I press the bind button on the Rx. The LED does not blink on the receiver end. But when I press the Tx bind button the LED blinks. It seem to binds the Tx & Rx only that the Rx has no LED blinking.

Another thing is glitches, it happens intermittently. I already oriented the receiver & antenna as far from ESC possible. What happens when I steer the car wheels to left & right. The motor starts to jerk/kick in for seconds, stops & then resume when I steer the front wheels.

When I swap with FM Tx & Rx module. It no longer happens.

On the other hand, I was thinking if Tx with SM1001 Pro binds with SR3100 DSM2 3-Channel Race Receiver. Will it work actually, anyone tried? Do I get the 3ms respond likewise when Tx & Rx are of the Pro modules?

SM1001 Pro Tx

+

SR3100 DSM2 Rx

= will it work?

Last edited by Toh WL; 03-12-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

must be in the water...lol..i just had this problem...the newer dsm rx's will not work with any of the older module or radios....i bought the sr3520 dsm2 rx and it WILL NOT WORK with my pro on my m11...the only current radio to use the newest dsm is the 3 by Spectrum
Old 03-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
must be in the water...lol..i just had this problem...the newer dsm rx's will not work with any of the older module or radios....i bought the sr3520 dsm2 rx and it WILL NOT WORK with my pro on my m11...the only current radio to use the newest dsm is the 3 by Spectrum
Never at all I play after rain using DSM. Last time I remember playing after rain with FM module before switching DSM I did killed my ESC. Expensive lesson learned.

You mean this: ...

How about this with the DSM Pro below? Will it work?

Old 03-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Tech Regular

Any DSM 1 receiver will work, the DSM 2's will not, they transmit a different signal. You would need to have a DSM 2 transmitter to use a DSM 2 receiver.
Upgrading to the DX3R is well worth the money though, I havnt had a single glitch the whole year ive had it now, NOT ONE!!!
Old 03-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Toh WL
Never at all I play after rain using DSM. Last time I remember playing after rain with FM module before switching DSM I did killed my ESC. Expensive lesson learned.

You mean this: ...

How about this with the DSM Pro below? Will it work?

The bottom pic is of the 3500 from the DSM 1 systems, so yeah it will work fine. I run those with my Pro module in my Helios. They are Pro as well, just a smaller format/footprint.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Tech Champion

ditto
Old 03-12-2009, 12:38 PM
avs
Tech Master

i have noticed that when holding the transmitter very close to the receiver, like when trying to bind or setup end points etc, i would get something like 'glitching'.

when this happens again, try taking a couple steps away from the car and see if it goes away.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Little_Mike,

Thanks for the clarification. What if my transmitter is DSM2 & my receiver is DSM? As for DX3R people also having issues. Not forgetting DX3S they have to sent the equiptment twice to Horizon hobby. More details on the discussion forum below:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/malaysia...3r-dx3s-6.html

Yeti35,

Since it's working well as tested. Thanks man... By the way are you getting quicker respond in comparision with the orignal Pro Rx.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by avs
i have noticed that when holding the transmitter very close to the receiver, like when trying to bind or setup end points etc, i would get something like 'glitching'.

when this happens again, try taking a couple steps away from the car and see if it goes away.
Yes man I got the exact same problem & u hit the nail.

1st case:
What happen when I stop the car at pitstop & lift it up on left hand. My Tx is with my right hand around 40cm away. When I press a bit throttle to sound check which spur got hit by small stones. That I notice the steering wheels did glitch.

2nd case:
When I put my car on setup board to measure the steer EPA. When I twist the steering wheel. The motor glitches & the car wants to take off. My transmitter is just 15cm from the vehicle.

So do you all think this is normal? Appreciate the feedbacks....
Old 03-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Toh WL
Yeti35,

Since it's working well as tested. Thanks man... By the way are you getting quicker respond in comparision with the orignal Pro Rx.
They are both the same as far as response, but I can't comment on the standard sized Pro RX. I have never owned one. I actually bought my Pro module first and was using it with the non Pro RX's. I gradually swapped all those out for the small 3500's.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Yeti35
They are both the same as far as response, but I can't comment on the standard sized Pro RX. I have never owned one. I actually bought my Pro module first and was using it with the non Pro RX's. I gradually swapped all those out for the small 3500's.

But anyhow the manufacturer claims. The respond is better than the original pro module...

Key Features

Only one third the size of the SR3000 receiver
Pro programming lowers latency by 1.3ms (2.6ms when used with Pro Module)
Lower operating voltage
Integrated voltage protector
Forward and backward compatible with all surface systems (except HRS)
Fuel and motor-spray resistant plastic
Old 03-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by avs

By the way anyone exprerience similarity as this? Thanks and appreciate the feedback.