Wiki Posts
Search

How to increase efficiency?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)
Default How to increase efficiency?

Can anyone point me in a direction as to where I can learn to increase efficiency and power from an electric motor?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I think you may be referring to timing adjustment? Increasing the timing will give you more power and RPM, decreasing will give you the opposite effect and will let the motor run cooler and therefore more efficient. Also, the less brake you use, the cooler the motor will stay. Not always an option... but good to know
Old 12-16-2008, 12:03 AM
Tech Adept

-Increasing the voltage (decreases Ampere)
-shorten the cables
-lower Timing
-Motor Heatsinks
Old 12-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

More capacitors.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
Can anyone point me in a direction as to where I can learn to increase efficiency and power from an electric motor?
Throttle Control baby...
Old 12-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Der Dicke
-Increasing the voltage (decreases Ampere)
-shorten the cables
-lower Timing
-Motor Heatsinks

Just a quick correction.. Increasing voltage will increase your amperage.

To increase the effeciency of a motor, either decrease the timing, or decrease the friction of the armature. Use oil on the bushings, or replace the bearings with ceramic bearings. You can also use different spring / brush combinations.

Shawn.

Last edited by Shawn68z; 12-16-2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Correction of bad grammer.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Totally free drive train and set up that is very free and car not snug is a huge key..Chassie is always 60%+ the factor..But timing and shrter wires like spoke about are a part...
Old 12-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Small pinion and/or larger spur, but that will decrease your speed. The best way is to go higher voltage and lower Kv motor.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shawn68z
Just a quick correction.. Increasing voltage will increase your amperage
watts (power) are amps*volts. so for a 100 watt motor at 10v it's drawing 10A. so at 20v it will be 5A etc.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joe of loath
watts (power) are amps*volts. so for a 100 watt motor at 10v it's drawing 10A. so at 20v it will be 5A etc.

Geesh...

Amps=Volts/Resistance

The resistance of the motor does not change because you have changed the voltage being applied to the motor.

So, if you double the voltage you get double the amps.

Shawn.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

You know what they call guys with small wires?

Justin Lessard

Originally Posted by John Tag
Totally free drive train and set up that is very free and car not snug is a huge key..Chassie is always 60%+ the factor..But timing and shrter wires like spoke about are a part...
Old 12-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Shawn68z
Geesh...

Amps=Volts/Resistance

The resistance of the motor does not change because you have changed the voltage being applied to the motor.

So, if you double the voltage you get double the amps.

Shawn.

Well both of you are right......... but it's Omn's Law what he is tlaking about.. if you apply more volts then the amps will go up too in the same proportion..... And what others try to say is that if you run a higher voltage, to produce the same power ..... less amp draw will be needed.... so you can do it but have to limit power somehow.... To reduce amp draw....

For example (not real)

Using a Mamba 7700 at 7.4 V might be the same as running a 4600 at 11.1V.... Just that the last one runs cooler, because the less amp draw needed.......

See ya guys!!!
Old 12-18-2008, 02:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Is this the old efficiency v effectiveness debate?

If you want to increase the efficiency of the motor, do anything that helps turn all the available energy into motion, and not heat. When the power going into the motor is just turned to heat, it reduces the efficiency. The suggestions above on timing, etc. do just that.

However, no prizes are handed out for having the most efficient motor! Prizes are awarded for the person who most effectively gets their car to do more laps than anyone else! To make your car effective around the track might mean having a less efficient motor, but then again it is probably more to do with having a good chassis (handling and roadholding) and being godd enough to get the best out of it - having the most effective car.

Whatever the maths of it all, the question remains which is the quickest car/driver combination. I can hand my car to a better driver, and he will be more effective than I am over a race distance. He might change the motor settings to get more from his driving style, and he might make the motor less efficient as a result - but he'll still take home the cups and I won't!!

The question is - why do you need to make the motor more efficient? Then we can get you some answers, only a few of which might relate to the motor! HTH