Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rear-end Spool?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 11:06 AM
Tech Addict

Default Rear-end Spool?

I read that a rear spool can give the car some amaizing steering characteristics... but it would of course scrub off some speed too.. has anybody tried this?
Old 10-13-2003, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Havent tried it, but I cant see the point... wouldnt it be better with a one-way diff?

However, it should be easy to try out: Remove the balls from the rear diff, and tigthing it very hard.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

Default Rear-end Spool?

holycow;

A tighter Diff or Spool in this case, causes that end of the Car to have less side bite, but more forward grip under power.

(Guys correct me if I'm wrong here)
Old 10-13-2003, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

a rear spool will cause the car to have a real bad understeering problem.
on drag cars they use spools and in the pits you see them trying to turn and you see the cars not turning well .
they lauch great but dont turn worth a sh!@. if you own a spool put it on the front like you normally do make a slow speed figure 8 with max dual rate then put on a regular diff and do it again then you see how the size of the figure 8 gets smaller.
so it realty if you arent drag racing dont think about it in the rear!
Old 10-13-2003, 01:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

1:8 track cars use a spool in the rear and on-way in front.. They don't have any understeering problems
Old 10-13-2003, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

different cars react different thats why they use the oneway so when they let of power the car rotates harder causing the car to over steer but then again they usually dont run on tight tracks almost every 1/8 scale track is a very smooth and flowing track with flowing turns. and did i say big like over 200ft straight aways!
Old 10-13-2003, 01:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nitro guys have been doing it, well it is called a solid rear axle, same thing. It works well if you have a smooth trigger finger.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by speedxl
a rear spool will cause the car to have a real bad understeering problem.
on drag cars they use spools and in the pits you see them trying to turn and you see the cars not turning well .
they lauch great but dont turn worth a sh!@. if you own a spool put it on the front like you normally do make a slow speed figure 8 with max dual rate then put on a regular diff and do it again then you see how the size of the figure 8 gets smaller.
so it realty if you arent drag racing dont think about it in the rear!
but then again they are running wide tires in the rear and very skinny tires up front, our 24mm ones have less traction(less footprint), so the traction would be evened out front to rear. some nitro guys do this in sedan and 1/8th scale(with a one-way up front)

personally i asked someone(i forgot who, Josh, Torrance, Cory? oh well, one of the fast guys) right around the time of the reedy race about a spool in the rear, and they said that the car would have no stability what so ever, and would not help much but possibally hurt more with just no rear traction.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

i said its what i noticed in full scale cars i dont know how the 1/8 guys do it but we also dont carry the wieght they carry or the horspower either these are two different beast altogethr
i say go ahead and bolt one on and see for your self alot of guys like my self try things that would work in a real cars as far as i know no one road races with a spool in a road racing car and its only used for drag racing, i know a lot of full scale theory does not apply to model cars you never know go ahead and try it and report to us what happens.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Default Rear-end Spool?

Guys;

With Gas/Nitro Cars set-up for a large Track, you are trying to set-up the Car to be able to stay on-power almost all the time.
The Front One-way PULLS the Car out of the corners under power and actually will reduce the amount of on-power steering. You then install a Rear Spool to get the Car to rotate better and get even more forward bite (under power).

If the track is small and/or tight that requires alot of slowing or Braking in the corners. Then Diffs at both ends is a better, easier to drive arraignment.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:48 PM
Tech Regular

I have tried this before(more than once). I found that I had a sizeable push going into and thru the corner, and was seriously loose coming out (dougnuts). If you want to try something scary put a oneway in the rear.-Jeff
Old 10-15-2003, 04:05 AM
BG
Tech Addict

Out of interest I actually tried this. i found that the car turned in and through the corner at a faster rate. Out of the corner the car had a little oversteer. But it would be perfect if the grip was up. But damn you can generate so much steering. It realy responded to acceleration. I actually had a one way in the front, awesome to drive but it was definetaly slower due to lack of control.