Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ko BMC Speedo

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Did you make sure that your speed control is setup for a Lipo cutoff, as I think the default is still set to NiMH, and if thats the case you could have discharged your Lipo too far. I've seen Lipos swell when they get over discharged.

Sorry I now see it was suggested already, but I'd triple check for Lipo cutoff. Or check the pack voltage when your coming off just to make sure the cutoff is working. Just because you only ran for 7 minutes doesn't mean you could be at the bottom of the curve. Maybe the pack didn't get fully charged too. Just throwing some ideas out there.

Last edited by Johnny Wishbone; 07-21-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Slow reader
Old 07-22-2009, 05:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Did you make sure that your speed control is setup for a Lipo cutoff, as I think the default is still set to NiMH, and if thats the case you could have discharged your Lipo too far. I've seen Lipos swell when they get over discharged.

Sorry I now see it was suggested already, but I'd triple check for Lipo cutoff. Or check the pack voltage when your coming off just to make sure the cutoff is working. Just because you only ran for 7 minutes doesn't mean you could be at the bottom of the curve. Maybe the pack didn't get fully charged too. Just throwing some ideas out there.
Good point
Old 07-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
It may not be that bad, but its not supposed to swell at all. I would go through the car top to bottom and check everything, bearings , belts, gears, motor and make sure that nothing is bound up and causing excessive ampdraw on the battery. It is possible that you got a defective pack, that happens from time to time. Or the pack got damaged unbeknownst to you. I run the Orion Lipos and have not had a single issue with them. Is this a hardcase lipo?
the car was super smooth so there's nothing binds. defective pack? The problem started when I starts to use Orion 6.5t and I don't think it's caused by the motor, coz it's slower than LRP X12 6.5t! Hardcase lipo it is.

Set to lipo cut-off, can't play play with this setting. Mostly 7+v after run. Checked lipo after charged ard 8.38 - 8.4v.

Originally Posted by kschu
what C rating is your lipo ?? 25c,30c,35,40c ?
4000mah x 35c, 5000 x 35c, 4900 x 35c all hard case

The problem stated when I starts to use the Orion 6.5t and profile changed to the Reedy Race mod settings.

So I'm just wondering whether the timing advance on the esc which is #2 or the high braking freq could have caused this or a faulty motor? Normally a Lipo would swell becoz of overly high discharge rate, in this case I don't think so.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jonest
the car was super smooth so there's nothing binds. defective pack? The problem started when I starts to use Orion 6.5t and I don't think it's caused by the motor, coz it's slower than LRP X12 6.5t! Hardcase lipo it is.

Set to lipo cut-off, can't play play with this setting. Mostly 7+v after run. Checked lipo after charged ard 8.38 - 8.4v.

4000mah x 35c, 5000 x 35c, 4900 x 35c all hard case

The problem stated when I starts to use the Orion 6.5t and profile changed to the Reedy Race mod settings.

So I'm just wondering whether the timing advance on the esc which is #2 or the high braking freq could have caused this or a faulty motor? Normally a Lipo would swell becoz of overly high discharge rate, in this case I don't think so.
By defective pack, I mean something was wrong with the battery right from the factory, mismanufacturered or out of spec.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Okay, hate to sound like a broken record, but the profile you mentioned is pre set to Nimh, so unless you specifically set it to Lipo after you did your write you might still be defaulting to the Nimh instead of Lipo setting. You also say 7+volts, but what is it, as I think the Lipo safe cut off is 3.6 volts which should make your pack at at least 7.2 volts. Can you snapshot a pic of your profile coming off the SC and post it in a pic? Might be something to look at.

Also it doesn't have to be a overly high discharge rate to swell the pack, it can be caused by going to deep voltage wise into the pack too.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

has Orion released the new v1.5 BMC? is there any news about this?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Okay, hate to sound like a broken record, but the profile you mentioned is pre set to Nimh, so unless you specifically set it to Lipo after you did your write you might still be defaulting to the Nimh instead of Lipo setting. You also say 7+volts, but what is it, as I think the Lipo safe cut off is 3.6 volts which should make your pack at at least 7.2 volts. Can you snapshot a pic of your profile coming off the SC and post it in a pic? Might be something to look at.

Also it doesn't have to be a overly high discharge rate to swell the pack, it can be caused by going to deep voltage wise into the pack too.
Will post it up in the morning. And don't think it's a defective lipo.

Btw, how do u guys keep ur lipos? I normally charge it full after race and will recharge it before using it. That's the practice right?

Thanks
Old 07-23-2009, 10:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Btw, how do u guys keep ur lipos? I normally charge it full after race and will recharge it before using it. That's the practice right?

Thanks
nope.. its not good to store lipos fully charged. you should keep them at 80% charge or lower. i dont remember the exact number.

im sure someone will chime in with the correct number.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks
they say if you are going to store them for a long time (months) to store them at 3.8 to 3.9 volts per cell, for just weekly racing i usually just leave it where it comes off the track (running stock only takes out about 2000mah) so thats almost 1/2
Old 07-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

What's the repercussion? Will it swell up or just deplete in terms of capacity? I normally store them fully charged up but I've been running them on weekly basis.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

weekly fully charged probably not too much a problem, i think the fully charged storage main loses capacity, your swelling is probably due to running mod in heat (malaysia pretty hot isn't it?), if the minor swelling of a mm or two goes back down after the pack cools back down i really wouldn't worry about it
Old 07-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Guys, I were using this profile + Orion 6.5t. Now I've changed autobrake = 50 & timing = 0, rests the same.
Attached Thumbnails Ko BMC Speedo-01.jpg  
Old 07-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Tech Regular

Can someone point me in the direction as to who is the head honcho on this thread as in who knows the most about these speedos?

Last edited by #88driver; 07-27-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by #88driver
Can someone point me in the direction as to who is the head honcho on this thread as in who knows the most about these speedos?
that would be the guy that has KOPROPO for a name. but maybe i can help i have played alot with this speedo.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by goop
that would be the guy that has KOPROPO for a name. but maybe i can help i have played alot with this speedo.
Sorry didnt see him but you sir will have a pm in about 3 minutes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.