Community
Wiki Posts
Search

on road(carpet)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 06:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Default on road(carpet)

i am new in the world of r/c racing. i got a traxxas rustler from a guy last year to just make it the last part of the season with. i tell people that have been racing longer than i have that i have a traxxas and i get the response that i should have bought a real truck. #1 what is wrong with my truck and #2 what is the best truck to race on carpet? thank you
Old 09-25-2003, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

traxxas is not the best racing truck because of tuning options along with durability. as far as tuning opitons go, you can get a better selection of aftermarket parts suited for the particular type of racing, oval, ect
Old 09-25-2003, 10:00 PM
Tech Addict

mavajo3,

There is nothing wrong with your truck. It's your first one and nobody should be slaggin' you for driving it. Some racers can forget that they started with that (entry level) type of vehicle and comment from where they are now...not what it was like in the begining. Granted...some people can afford to go right for the high-end race level stuff...but it shouldn't matter.

You can still learn a lot with the Rustler. You can take your radio and drop it into a more race-oriented vehicle latter on when you're ready to move up (if you want to).

As far as racing trucks on carpet go...well...there are none. Carpet racing any off road chassis (truck or buggy) will always be a compromise. Trucks ans other off road vehicles have suspensions designed for bumps and jumps. If you want to race on carpet (or asphalt) then you're better off getting a touring car or a pan car (1/12 or 1/10).

As long as there is a class for you to run a truck at your carpet track then run what you have. You can lower the truck as far as it will go, add some stiffer springs and heavier shock oil and go for it! The width of a truck makes it (nearly) impossible to get a body to go over the wheels (like a sedan car) so there is a greater risk of dammage when you snag a board or crash...but that's just the way it is with off-road chassis raced on road.

There's more to racing than having the latest, greatest racing car. As long as you are having fun at the track it does not matter what your running. Don't let anybody try and get you down for doing that.

Have fun and keep on racing!
Old 09-25-2003, 10:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah, don't let those other guys say anything bad about your traxxas. I started out with one and while it isn't the most race oriented car out there it still got me interseted in the hobby. Besides those other guys that spent more money on a Losi or AE truck just wasted the money if they'er racing it on carpet. Those trucks are designed for off-road use, so they won't have some huge advantage over your Rustler.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:08 PM
Tech Adept

dont take that crap about your rustler because i started out with one, beet out many of the big shots with one, one the cccc (capital city carpet challenge) with it. And now i have a xxx-t i run but i prefer to run the rustler because (i dont know how many people you race or hard hard your track is) i never break with it and every ody else almost always break there "fancy" xxx-t or there associated's i can almost always beat.

!*!*GO TEAM TRAXXAS*!*!
Old 09-26-2003, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

tell me who when and where and i'll take care of them for you !
Old 10-12-2003, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

Default Traxxas story for you

My daughters run Traxxas Stampede's indoor on carpet. Last week where we run, The track is on the second story. A road course with 2 jumps. My daughters are new to rc so they are not the best at controlling the vehicle yet, but the fire escape door was open. So here comes my 10 yr old daughter making the jump and proceeding straight for the fire escape door. OOOPS out the door the truck went, down a flight of metal steps to a halt on the concrete! I ran down to get it and check to see how bad it was damaged. At this point I figured the worst, only to discover aside from some scatches on the body nothing was wrong with it. As far as Stampedes go I am one to say These are some very durable trucks!!!