Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starting Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thats what im saying, go with a use 007 or 008 you will get it for a good price.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Don't get a shaft drive car, any vehicle you could get now that is shaft drive is as good as any TC3 out there...

Get a type R.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

I just got back into RC myself after 3 1/2 years. since I've gotten back I had 4 different belt cars, I traded my last one for a T2-008 and never been so happy. The EU with the asphalt top deck works wonders on parking lot tracks, both prepped and non-prepped. My condo has the same type of sealed asphalt as the track so I set it up for that, when I get to the track we blow it off and put traction down I've since bought another T2-008 to run two classes
Old 12-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Tech Adept

When the XRAY T2R is relased in a few days it should be around the $250.00 retail.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Tech Regular

Wow. seems like Xray is the way to go so far.

Although with the Tc5 what is the problem with the Shocks? Do they leak? What isn't good about them? Aren't there hop up shocks you can add to use instead of the stock shocks?

Cody
Old 12-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minittrackmann
Wow. seems like Xray is the way to go so far.

Although with the Tc5 what is the problem with the Shocks? Do they leak? What isn't good about them? Aren't there hop up shocks you can add to use instead of the stock shocks?

Cody
I run a TC5R and I have no problem with the shocks. As far as I've seen they're just as competitive is al classes I've seen thhem run in. Honestly, buy what you like. Xray is great, AE is great, Losi is great. If I had to choose it would be what your LHS has the most replacement parts for. Definitely go belt drive though.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcterp
I run a TC5R and I have no problem with the shocks. As far as I've seen they're just as competitive is al classes I've seen thhem run in. Honestly, buy what you like. Xray is great, AE is great, Losi is great. If I had to choose it would be what your LHS has the most replacement parts for. Definitely go belt drive though.

Yeah, definitely get belt drive. I did like the idea at first either, but ive never broke a belt. And never seen anyone else break one. Also, belt drive is basically the future of on-road. They won't be coming out with much of any shaft drive TC's in the years to come. And i would suggest the TC5r, or even the TC5 in general. It was my first touring car, and everything on it is pretty much commonsense to work on, and a lot easier to tune and do other things than some other cars i had experience with. And also with Hebert winning lately, i bet Associated will be coming out with some cool new mods for the TC5. But you never know. Just give the car a try. I loved mine. good luck man.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 88crewchief
When the XRAY T2R is relased in a few days it should be around the $250.00 retail.
I hope this is the case, but im not so sure it will be. It certainly wont be $250.00 retail.(I hope Im wrong) Im thinking it will be sold in the $279.00 to $289.00 range but the price is still being worked out.

I would have no fear of a belted car as long as the surface is reasonably clear of debris. A TC5 would be a fine choice as well as the 007-008 xray. Whichever fits your budget and is avalible to you.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I have a t2 007 and i like it but i hate that none of my lhs have parts for it most lhs can get parts for the tc5 and the team losi type r. so if you dont like having to buy parts off the interet dont get the t2 (that is unless your lhs has part for them in that case go for the xray)
Old 12-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

It's all preference, you can pretty much make any car handle the same. It's all setup I just prefer the cars I have now cause of the ease of tunning and the the endless amount adjustments. Like anything else the more you practice the better you get.... sometimes. I came back into R/C with the attitude of just having fun, even if I don't win or not finish a race I still had fun with my friends

Last edited by bigkoitat; 12-04-2008 at 07:50 PM. Reason: spelling..
Old 12-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey there. I used got back into the hobby a month ago after a few years out of the game.

It seems these days, all touring cars are fairly similar, and all belt driven, just go with what you like. I have a Xray FK05 that i'm going to sell. X-Ray makes some great cars but it seems like they have a new kit at least every few months. And I kinda like having the latest and greatest and its a pain having to keep buying new cars to stay current.

I just bought the TC5R and am very pleased with it. But I mainly like that it's easy to find parts for and that its popular at my local track.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Definitely get a belt car, and buy a 008 over a 007. The 007 sux compared to the 08, it doesnt respond to set up changes at all.

If you're not an RC noob get a top kit. 416, cyclone, T2 008/009, TOP Scythe, Corallly RDX Phi, TC5R, etc, etc, and choose the one with the best support at the track because you'll need help with setup coming from dirty noisy stuff
Old 12-05-2008, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I just started into TC about a month ago with a T2 008. It's a very easy setup to work on as well as tune.

For a beginner in TC, the manual and all teh setup information is a big plus..

Also. I have not broke a thing yet.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Tech Regular

I have found that the HB cyclone is exceptionally good for rubber tire racing on carpet and asphalt, its got a bit much flex for serious foam though.
Alot of pros run it so you could find a setup sheet easy and get started quick.
Plus, in my 1.5 years of racing it, ive only broken like maybe 10 parts total, and i am not a crash proof driver lol, so it takes a beating.
But whatever is run at your local track is probably a good choice to for parts availability and help tuning from the fast guys.

Hope this helps, see you onroad!

P.S. Hit some pipes for me

Last edited by Little_Mike; 12-05-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minittrackmann
Thanks man.

I would go to the track and see what the popular thing to run is but the season is over and I will be getting a kit for X-Mass so I need to make a decision.
Try to find the forum for the local track or contact the LHS or club for that track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.