R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Novak Havoc Spec Brushless System: 10.5, 13.5, 17.5, & 21.5 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/257683-novak-havoc-spec-brushless-system-10-5-13-5-17-5-21-5-a.html)

reenmachine 12-03-2008 01:51 PM

Novak Havoc Spec Brushless System: 10.5, 13.5, 17.5, & 21.5

This new system has popped up in a few threads so far, but I haven't seen one dedicated to it so here goes.

Novak Havoc Spec Website

It seems that the Havoc ESC is pretty similar to the (discontinued?) XBR.

The motors in the bundle are the regular high-end ROAR-approved SS Pro sintered rotor motors.

The kicker is that these bundled motor/ESC combos will sell for $150. I think this brings brushless down to earth price-wise and will make it possible for a lot of people to make the change.

They're supposed to be available very soon. The Havoc is nothing new and neither are the motors, so all they're waiting on is packaging.

I also don't think there's much of a disadvantage to the Havoc vs. the GTB for example with these higher-turn motors.

I'd expect to see a ton of these in USVTA with the 21.5.

Opinions?

PitNamedGordie 12-03-2008 02:16 PM

WOW! I like that they come with the SS motors...not a detuned motor. This will be great for new comers, VTA, and Slash guys.

liljohn1064 12-03-2008 02:22 PM

And there was much cheering and rejoicing! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

SpidarX 12-03-2008 02:27 PM

If I'm racing in a class where everyone is running the GTB and 10.5 motor, would I be as competitive with the Havoc system?

ta_man 12-03-2008 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by reenmachine (Post 5123576)
This new system has popped up in a few threads so far, but I haven't seen one dedicated to it so here goes.

Novak Havoc Spec Website

It seems that the Havoc ESC is pretty similar to the (discontinued?) XBR.

Except that the brushed motor limit on the XBR was "No Limit" (according to the box it came in) and a rated current of 480A in brushed mode. Yet the Havoc, with the same brushless motor limit has a 27 turn limit in brushed mode.

Did they change the programming so that instead of using all three brushless phases in brushed mode, they are only using one?

reenmachine 12-03-2008 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by SpidarX (Post 5123718)
If I'm racing in a class where everyone is running the GTB and 10.5 motor, would I be as competitive with the Havoc system?

Honestly, I would bet it would come down to how good a driver you are. I'm sure a pro-level driver would see a small difference in lap times with all other things equal, maybe a couple of tenths. Novak says right on the Havoc page that the GTB is the better choice if you're a serious racer.

But for the other 95% of us I bet it would be hard to tell.

reenmachine 12-03-2008 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by ta_man (Post 5123722)
Except that the brushed motor limit on the XBR was "No Limit" (according to the box it came in) and a rated current of 480A in brushed mode. Yet the Havoc, with the same brushless motor limit has a 27 turn limit in brushed mode.

Did they change the programming so that instead of using all three brushless phases in brushed mode, they are only using one?

I'll keep that in mind when I'm never, ever running a brushed motor again.

Interesting though. You know that at this price something had to go, and they've obviously concentrated on the brushless market with this one.

squearl 12-03-2008 02:45 PM

And yes one will be in my VTA. Can't wait:nod:

reenmachine 12-04-2008 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by squearl (Post 5123789)
And yes one will be in my VTA. Can't wait:nod:

Yeah, I bet this will become extremely common in the VTA pits. It would be nice to have it be the spec system, but that would have only been possible right when 21.5/lipo came into USVTA.

liljohn1064 12-04-2008 01:48 PM

I'm not tossing my GTBs! That would be painful.

I wish they would have come out before I built 3 VTA cars too. They suit my pocketbook better.

reenmachine 12-08-2008 01:59 PM

I asked Steve Weiss from Novak about the Havoc over in his thread -- sounds promising!

Originally Posted by reenmachine
OK, what can you tell us about the Havoc combos? Is this going to be the ticket for higher-turn, lower cost spec series like USVTA (21.5) and RCGT (17.5)?

Is one really sacrificing anything to the GTB with these slower combos?

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
Reen:

I think most people in most applications will not see a big difference between the Havoc and the GTB in the 21.5 and 17.5 classes you have mentioned.

On paper, the GTB definately has a lower resistance, which should translate to slightly more power, but the differences are very minute... the solder joints on your wires account for more resistance than the difference in the total RDS on of the system.

CCH1978 12-17-2008 10:14 PM

looks like a sweet alternative for the weekend warriors

reenmachine 01-02-2009 12:37 PM

You can back order these from Tower now, and the 21.5 combo says mid-January for availability.

They have a $20 off $149 coupon code 014E8 right now, so that's a brushless system for $129!

bigemike 01-02-2009 12:39 PM

coupons only work on in stock items, also if you are willing to pre-order, tell you local hobbyshop they might cut you a break since you are pre-ordering them

reenmachine 01-02-2009 12:41 PM

I just back ordered a Havoc 21.5 combo and used the coupon code. I ordered a body at the same time, and got this message about the discount:

Ad number promotion (014E8 - SAVE $20) will be applied when shippable item(s) reach the required dollar amount of $148.90.
That says to me that I will indeed get the discount.