Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
VTA MMR Club Spec Racing >

VTA MMR Club Spec Racing

VTA MMR Club Spec Racing

Old 12-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (99%+)

Originally Posted by vtaripoff
There was extensive trans-am testing done on a mini z track.

This sounds like a great idea-----------for me to poop on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56xkBGaJUxc
that track you saw is an 1/18 scale track. we do not race 1/12 or 1/10 on that. the normal track we race on is 80 by 35. so know your facts before you talk.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony block
that track you saw is an 1/18 scale track. we do not race 1/12 or 1/10 on that. the normal track we race on is 80 by 35. so know your facts before you talk.
I do like that quarter-pipe corner. Looks like fun.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Its an awsome 18th scale track. The size of tracks we have for TA and 12th scale are at leat 75x48. That video was just andrew messing around, most likely. And this is a bit off of topic, andrew has more rcp so he can make a decent size track and let me tell you that the rcp is pretty awsome when he lays it all out.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

It's not the vid linked to, but there is one of the T/A cars running on a small, tight track. With bottom-end rip being so key and no long straight I can see how the 21.5 would rule.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

I would be willing to be that the 21.5 would be the dominant choice on pretty much any track with a straight less than, say, 100 feet. The further below 100 feet the more pronounced the difference would be. And really, how many indoor carpet tracks are that long? Not very many. We usually run 40 X 65 feet which isn't a particularly small track and the 21.5 / LiPo combo will make the others look sick.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

MMR Challenge 2008 Trans AM A-Main

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTF8JLDgzl8

This is not a mini-z track layout...
Old 12-05-2008, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Centerline Racing
MMR Challenge 2008 Trans AM A-Main

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTF8JLDgzl8

This is not a mini-z track layout...
Yeah, that's the one I was talking about though. To my eyes, it's tight and technical, with narrow lanes and no straight.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

That's just one out of four tracks the minnesota group races on. We also have the superior track wich is 95x48, the tcorc track wich is 75x48, and we have the st cloud track that is 105x48. You can always count on andrew making a tight and technical track. On the mini track he always makes a layout with at least 15 corners.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Martinsville is tight, too. NASCAR drivers who like Atlanta, Tallegega, etc., still race tight tracks.

Remember, it's the same for everyone.

Allan
Old 12-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

I got back into racing for the very reason MMR is complaining about.

The fact that I KNEW I could get into a brushless lipo No maintenance setup and run with the guys spending hours a week on brushed Nimh voodoo sold me on it.
I quit 12th scale a few years ago largely after being sick of seeing what a battery war it had become. Our fast club guys usually were pretty good about saving the killer packs for the big events, but you could bet as soon as you started catching them the big cells came out.
I remember when I could put a fresh set of NIMH in my 12th and see 7 or 8 tenths.
I'll say it again - brushless and LIPO brought me back to racing.
Any track that discourages it just doesn't get it.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:58 AM
Tech Master

Lipos and brushless ARE allowed at all the regional tracks here, in other classes.

VTA is a "spec" class. Race it within the rules or put your lipo in a sedan and have a ball.

The point of us "getting it" just rubs some of you wrong because you want speed. We "get it" because VTA is not about speed, it's about driving skill. I'm sure that when the 12th scale lipo is released, it could be added to the rules as an option.

It doesn't matter what motor you run, VTA is not about 7.4v.

Allan
Old 12-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Lipos and brushless ARE allowed at all the regional tracks here, in other classes.

VTA is a "spec" class. Race it within the rules or put your lipo in a sedan and have a ball.

The point of us "getting it" just rubs some of you wrong because you want speed. We "get it" because VTA is not about speed, it's about driving skill. I'm sure that when the 12th scale lipo is released, it could be added to the rules as an option.

It doesn't matter what motor you run, VTA is not about 7.4v.

Allan
Now you're the one bagging everyone else for running within the posted NATIONAL rules. Enforce what you want at your local track for competition. I'm running the lowest maintenance, cheapest in the long run setup. If my 21.5 and lipos hold up for a year, I'll be ahead of the game money wise. I will still be within the posted rules, spending more time practicing and not wasting money on replacement 27 turn motors and NiMH batteries and as an added bonus I will still be within the National rules. 21.5 is much slower than you care to admit. Yes it does have more punch that a 17.5, but I've crossed that bridge and will not go back. Not when I can get a battery that charges 400 times more for a few dollars more and runs as good on its 399th charge as it did on its first. What I would like to know is why do you feel you need keep fighting this battle?
Old 12-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have to ask. You guys keep saying it's about the driving. Well anyone that raced rc for longer than 6 months knows that brushed motors and NiMh batteries need a lot of work to keep them at their peak. Brushless/Lipo you just run.

So how is it your spec is about the driving?
Old 12-13-2008, 10:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Martinsville is tight, too. NASCAR drivers who like Atlanta, Tallegega, etc., still race tight tracks.

Remember, it's the same for everyone.

Allan
Yeah, you're exactly right, it is the same for everyone, but if it's a very bad design, it's not fun, even though it's still the same for everyone. I, for one will not run on a track that's shaped like a BIG H, or a BIG M, or one that splits a straight in half. I will just leave. Not fun. Switchbacks, Carousel corners, Keyholes, Teardrops, and one loooong straight. 99.9% of tracks have at least one loooong straight.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

why is this important?...run whatever you desire, but before long if you really want to even your racing up this combo aint the answer....invest in the 21.5 Havok system and make your guys run 3600 lipo or smaller.....I promise you that "MOTOR GURUS" will take advantage in the long run...also do whats best for your local racers....but drop the logo...I think thats where your heat is hottest.....

we race Trans-am....but we are slowly moving to VTA...whether you like it or not,...the system that these guys came up with works..we just got lucky with the change in fdr to match the USVTA speeds...just try it...$150 isnt alot if you plan on racing over a 6 month period or longer...you will save in the long run ...trust me....I ran brushed all summer and am running BL now and what a difference in my time and money...just my $150.00

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.