Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
VTA MMR Club Spec Racing >

VTA MMR Club Spec Racing

VTA MMR Club Spec Racing

Old 12-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony block
You guys don’t like it because all of you have 21.5 and lipos. You all know if you run the 17.5 motor all of you will get smoked because all of you know that the 21.5 lipo is faster. You can disagree all you want. All mmr is doing is make the playing ground even to bring in new drivers. He wants the sport to grow and that is the we to do it.
Please for your own sanity, read the entire US Vintage Trans Am racing thread, the whole rules section of the website and try to understand what's being done before you make any more judgments. I ask you again, why would anyone intentionally buy a 17.5 a brushless speedo and "new" old tech batteries just to intentionally drive 2 tenths of a second a lap slower? Think of it this way, what is the slowest way to race with new technology and will cost the hobbyist less in the long run? Its not about being smoked, beaten, trounced, defeated or any other word you can come up with. If you force the FDR up into the 5s you might see parity, but I doubt it because the rule set your so happy to try to embarrass everyone to buy into is tragically flawed. I'm personally sick and tired of buying new NiMH batteries to hold some sort of consistent performance with my 17.5. It just got plain old. I switched, I'm still a racer and I'm not out for blood.

MMR can run the MMR flavor spec at your local track in MN. Its still Vintage Trans Am. It will never be MMR.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You guys don’t like it because all of you have 21.5 and lipos. You all know if you run the 17.5 motor all of you will get smoked because all of you know that the 21.5 lipo is faster. You can disagree all you want. All mmr is doing is make the playing ground even to bring in new drivers. He wants the sport to grow and that is the we to do it.
Fine, don't rip off other people's work, call it something else, it isn't USVTA.

How does it grow the class, when your area splinters off?

Trying to bring in new people and level the playing field? You all are full of it.

I ran TC years ago, I know the work that went into maintaining batteries and brushed motors, that's hardly newbie friendly.
What are you guys going to tell the newbies after a few months when they start noticing they might need match packs to keep up, or a dyno and com lath to work on the motors.

If you're truly after a level playing, dump the ripe off name and call it something else. Then go out and buy hand out club motors like the Senior Spec guys in Frederick do. You hand the motor at the begining of the night and turn it in at the end.

One of the best things I heard and got me back in was brushless and lipo. I thought to myself great- as close to set and forget as it comes.

If your track was the only one near me, I wouldn't have got into it again. I remember all the BS of brushed and batteries.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by myrxseven
First I just wanna ask. How can so many people be so ignorant? Please tell me, and please try to tell me how ignorant you are not!

What is happening here from what I see is that a group of people got together tweaked with some rules so they would work for there local track or club. And if I remember right, they are not trying to change rules for everyone.

If anything people should be happy that there idea is being used and group of people got together and found a way for the Trans Am class to work better for them locally with there club.

And lastly why do you all care so much and trash talk this thread if your not even from MN, cause it obviously doesnt pertain to you!
Then have the thread moved to you your local track forum and not the main forum. The ignorance is apparent by the lack of general knowledge that a Minnesota forum exists. Why would the rest of the world take offense of local rules if the implication of the thread was to attempt to get others to join in this spec globally?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

You guys don’t like it because all of you have 21.5 and lipos. You all know if you run the 17.5 motor all of you will get smoked because all of you know that the 21.5 lipo is faster.

What is happening here from what I see is that a group of people got together tweaked with some rules so they would work for there local track or club. And if I remember right, they are not trying to change rules for everyone.
Actually, that would have been fine, and it would have still fallen completely into the USVTA rules. And they are indeed trying to spread it, offering "Club Support Packages" and branded merchandise for sale.

And lastly why do you all care so much and trash talk this thread if your not even from MN, cause it obviously doesnt pertain to you!
Hey, you brought it here, not us.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

ATTENTION ALL MMR TRANS-AM RACERS!
I have many killer 4 cell packs, 27 turn motors, an awesum Hudy Com Lathe in the silver case and tons of new brushes and springs for sale if you are interested. Just PM me.

I have them for sale because I now run Lipo/21.5 in my sons and my T/A cars. They are very competitive in that battery/motor arena.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just wondering why everyone is so hell bent on having everyone who organizes trans am classes call it USVTA?

If they want to promote thier own Trans Am class under a different name let them be. Just an opinion

It's like any other class, It's identified by the body.

These boards are worst than a union meeting...lol
Old 12-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Francis M.
Just wondering why everyone is so hell bent on having everyone who organizes trans am classes call it USVTA?

If they want to promote thier own Trans Am class under a different name let them be. Just an opinion

+1
Old 12-04-2008, 05:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Francis M.

Then don't use their rules and logo as your basis.

It's called a rip off.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TwoTone
Then don't use their rules and logo as your basis.

It's called a rip off.
Uh...technically Doug did exactly the same thing when he created USVTA. Not judging, like Marty hindsight has made me warmer to the idea, but don't kid yourself that USVTA "invented" anything--they snagged an existing (and very workable as it was) idea and evolved it.

The USVTA banner? "Borrowed". Neat adaptation, though, and creates identity. Don't think they'll be pursuing infringement redress anytime soon though from anyone who makes further adaptation.

Doug--you HAVE heard someone observe that the 21.5/LiPo combination was demonstrably superior to the existing combinations, at least indoors on "normal" size tracks. It was not identified as "unfair", just that the supposed "parity" does not exist. I will re-send the pm sent in response to your RFI a couple months back if you'd like. If you made a decision to incorporate the new technology regardless the on-track situation, so be it, but don't rationalize that parity exists where it is easily demonstrated that there is not.

Our track has done pretty much what MMR are doing, and I'm sure there are a couple others. We have had (for us) ASTOUNDING growth as a club since creating Vintage TransAm as a class here. The BIGGEST reason any of these new racers identify for competing is the low cost of entry provided by being able to buy top-shelf brushed/NiMH equipment at pennies on the dollar from racers converting to brushless/LiPo. Will this always be the case? Probably not, but for now the "right" decision for our club is to limit the power combination to NiMH and 27T brushed. Next year we will probably break the class in two to offer a "Club Spec VTA" that stays brushed and NiMH and a full USVTA-spec class.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Unhappy

Guys, let it go.

The USVTA was developed and designed to keep fraction clubs and groups like this from doing their own thing, like the rest of the R/C world has done for so many years. Most of the country "gets it," but there will always be some who fail to understand the point of a strong sanctioning body and ONE organized set of rules for everyone to use.

They want to be out on an island, so be it. They can do whatever they want.

If we stop posting here, this thread will go eventually away. Or at least get moved to a Regional forum where it belongs.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Uh...technically Doug did exactly the same thing when he created USVTA. Not judging, like Marty hindsight has made me warmer to the idea, but don't kid yourself that USVTA "invented" anything--they snagged an existing (and very workable as it was) idea and evolved it.
I can admit if I'm wrong, just from my understanding, both places were developing very similar rules at the same time. Doug, just took and made a national level org instead of having 100 variations around the country.

Again this is just my understanding from reading and people at my track.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up

There was extensive trans-am testing done on a mini z track.

This sounds like a great idea-----------for me to poop on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56xkBGaJUxc
Old 12-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vtaripoff

Don't even have the balls to post under your normal user name. LOL
Old 12-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vtaripoff

Don't even have the balls to post under your normal user name. LOL
I think he was bagging on them saying that their testing was done on a tiny, tight track so it doesn't apply to USVTA as a whole.

Maybe so, but I'm not going to make fun of someone's track. We're all out there trying to have fun wherever we can with what we have. We're all lucky to have any track at all!

We were close to letting this thread drop off the bottom. We've said our piece -- let it go.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I can admit if I'm wrong, just from my understanding, both places were developing very similar rules at the same time. Doug, just took and made a national level org instead of having 100 variations around the country.

Again this is just my understanding from reading and people at my track.
You are 100% correct, and there in lies the beauty of USVTA.............

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.