Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
VTA MMR Club Spec Racing >

VTA MMR Club Spec Racing

VTA MMR Club Spec Racing

Old 12-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joezjr
I have heard many racers all around say they are quitting usvta because how unfair 21.5 lipo is.
I'd love to hear from ANY of them. To this point, I have not heard one person complain about how "unfair" the 21.5/lipo combo is. Anywhere. Period.

Except now from 3 guys in Minnesota, who may or may not even race Trans Am cars yet.

I never thought I would hear anyone complain that USVTA cars were too fast for "normal human reaction pace."

Nice logo, by the way.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I feel even "dumber" having read all this. I can't get that time back.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Look why dont you just remove the VTA logo and call it MMR spec racing @ whatever place you race at...I will tell you why you wont cause racer want to run this class...Why couldnt you just post on the USVTA thread and say the common combo for you guys is 4cell/27t? You created a change for your tracks FDR for 21.5/lipo so your allowing this option under your cats out of the bag B.S all this is stated allready in the USVTA rules...These are the reasons for the negative posts...youve taken no time in creating an original Idea you just jumped on some coat tails....who knew you could spell HACK...w/three letters MMR....
Old 12-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joezjr
We are mostly talking 17.5. And not allowing 21.5 and lipos. We just want to equalize the speed in the class. I have heard many racers all around say they are quitting usvta because how unfair 21.5 lipo is. This class is about tight racing. We tend to keep it that way.
You guys are the ones doing the hobby a huge dis-service.

I want to know what are you going to recommend to a new person coming in that needs to buy almost everything?

Buy dated equipment for very little saving over all or recommend Brushless and lipo, but not allow them to race?

27t/NiMh route

Min 3 packs @ $30 = $90
27T motor $30
Now to do it right and maintain the packs
Discharger $30
Balance tray $30
Esc $50

Total $230

21.5/ Lipo

Havok System $140
1 Lipo $50-90

Total $190- $250

Chargers not much difference

So where is the savings? We all know the lipo and brushless will require much less maintenance over all, so which is more newbie friendly?

Having all the motor choices is good. Someone can come in and try it out with old stuff they had laying around. But anyone that has old stuff laying around knows no matter what, old 27t and batteries will still get smoked by a tuned 27t and new batteries.

So once the person decides the class is for them, instead of wasting money on new NiMh and a new 27t, they can step to Lipos and brushless.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I believe that having any class structure that allows for some traveling is in the best interest of r/c racing. This gives everyone a chance to test their skills against more racers. However it is also a safety net should any local facility/track close. If I'm racing a national class with established rules, I'll always have somewhere I can drive to and race at without having to buy new equipment.

We all accept that local tracks will tweak rules to suit the needs of their racers. However the approach that is being taken here is short-sighted since it excludes racers from traveling and running under your rules. While a large number of racers in VTA (new and old) are moving towards 21.5/lipo, you are going to exclude them because you feel that combo is too fast (based on the 4.2 FDR). I know my brushless speedo can run a brushed motor. However, to run under your rules I'm going to have to borrow/buy or use old NIHM batteries and a different motor. On the other side, what if your racers want to travel? The basis of your rules state that they are at a disadvantage, and won't be able to compete against 21.5/lipo. Not much incentive on either side for growth or travel in my opinion. In affect you are making yourself an island.

Ultimately each track must do what is in their racer's best interest. However, I feel that it is in ALL of our best interests if we try to get there together.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Lol your not popular are ya?

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=237035
Old 12-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TwoTone
Old 12-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TwoTone
Sweet.

By the way, I don't think we've discussed the different motor options enough.... anyone care to give their opinion?
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

FAIL
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Default USVTA

DOUG, IS THIS NOT COPYRIGHT INFRINGMENT? SUE UM I SAY, SUE UM. MICKEY DS WOULD NEVER STAND FOR THIS. THE BANNER AND THE T-SHIRTS ARE JUST PLAIN UGLY.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There's nothing wrong with trying to improve the parity between the lipo and the other powerplants, or changing the fdr. But it looks like you are trying to establish your own brand of VTA. That is why so many seem intolerant.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Guys, please step away from the key board and think before you type.

These are toy cars.

We PLAY with them for fun, and maybe a bowling trophy.

Now here are my comments for what they are worth. As stated above, there is room built into the USVTA specifications for tracks adopt the motor / battery combination and gearing they see fit. There is no need to start a new set of rules.

May I suggest, The propper way to introduce the world to the MMR "sub-set" of USVTA racing is to post on your home track forum and on USVTA forum stating this is the way we run USVTA at our track, period.

This bickering and ruffled feathers is similar to what happened when Doug evolved existing Vintage Trans-Am rules from Trackside to the USVTA "NATIONAL" concept. The loyal Trackside guys felt someone had stolen their bicycle. The local Trackside guys and the USVTA supporters got into it on the USVTA forum and it started to get ugly. That was until cooler heads prevailed.

I welcomed the USVTA ideal once I thought about it and spoke with Doug and opened my horizon. Fantastic idea and exicution by the way. Now we are all one big happy family and Trackside runs USVTA rules so visiting racers know what to expect and can be included. This is why USVTA is the fastest growing class of sedan racing in years.

Please learn from others past mistakes and don't let this get personal. We all love playing with toy cars and should act accordingly. Put aside the egos and work together on this to make RC racing stronger.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fig865
I feel even "dumber" having read all this. I can't get that time back.

funny stuff there
Old 12-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (99%+)

You guys don’t like it because all of you have 21.5 and lipos. You all know if you run the 17.5 motor all of you will get smoked because all of you know that the 21.5 lipo is faster. You can disagree all you want. All mmr is doing is make the playing ground even to bring in new drivers. He wants the sport to grow and that is the we to do it.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

First I just wanna ask. How can so many people be so ignorant? Please tell me, and please try to tell me how ignorant you are not!

What is happening here from what I see is that a group of people got together tweaked with some rules so they would work for there local track or club. And if I remember right, they are not trying to change rules for everyone.

If anything people should be happy that there idea is being used and group of people got together and found a way for the Trans Am class to work better for them locally with there club.

And lastly why do you all care so much and trash talk this thread if your not even from MN, cause it obviously doesnt pertain to you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.