R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   TC/Onroad Body discussion (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/257152-tc-onroad-body-discussion.html)

Davidka 12-01-2008 09:39 AM

TC/Onroad Body discussion

Being a newb to TC racing I am looking around at what the best components are and despite the numerous choices out there I didn't see any good discussion about bodies.

What are the best bodies for racing and why?

Tulsa TC3 12-01-2008 09:46 AM

well I have learned to pay attention to the fastest guys on the track and notice what they are running, chances are they have already tried the other bodies and components out there and they might even let you pick there brain about some of the stuff you have in question but be your own driver.

MikeXray 12-01-2008 09:51 AM

Since the ruling of only using GBS approved bodies this year your choices are limited.
For foam, the only 2 approved are the parma mohawk and Protoform R9-F, to me the mohawk has a more planted overall feel, where as the R9 steers a little more.

For rubber there are Mazda 6, Mazda Speed 6, and R9-R, and now the LTC-R which just got released. The speed 6 is by far the most popular, it has excellent balance of steering and rotation, the regular 6 will be more stable, and the R9 will be more aggressive. (*I have not actually run an R9-R myself, but have the others). The LTC-R is supposed to be a little better than the speed 6, we will see.

The bodies do make a difference, but it may take a while getting used to driving a TC before you can tell, over driving as most do at first will negate the small differences.

CREWMAN 12-01-2008 12:47 PM

it lookes like that in mod touring the favorite body was the new r9-f

mok 12-01-2008 02:58 PM

The Protoform MazdaSpeed 6 dominated the A-main at the recent Worlds in Thailand, thats gotta suggest something about that body.

My take on the bodies are as follows..

Stratus - stable, good for winding tracks with sweepers, doesnt rotate through turns very quickly
Mazda 6 - faster rotation through corners, seems down on rear traction over the Stratus
MazdaSpeed6 - more aggressive than the Mazda6, but otherwise similar characteristics
R9-R - very aggressive turning, similar rear traction to Mazda bodies
LTC-R - sits between the MazdaSpeed6 and R9-R in terms of corner/turning aggression, but has improved rear traction over the R9-R (makes it a contender for the best all round body IMHO)
DNA2 - fairly aggressive cornering, nice rear traction (definately suited to rubber on carpet as it was intended)

Anything else is either for foams or looks :P

-Mark

Syber Serulean 12-01-2008 03:03 PM

The DNA2 body is by far my favorite for rubber on asphalt. It steers well (quite aggressive) and i feel like i have plenty of rear traction so it feel planted and aggresive to me...so my vote goes there. Also...it has a nice unique look :)

The stratus, however, is a well balanced body and suggested to those starting out.

Foxxrocket 12-01-2008 03:25 PM

I used the the mazda Speed 6 and R9-R. The Mazdaspeed 6 has a perfect balance of speed and turning. The R9-R dose seem to be more aggressive, with a lot of downforce and turning. good for keeping the car center and in entering turns.

The mazdaspeed 6 gets my vote for being an all-around body.