Wiki Posts
Search

Major races would fewer be better?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Francis M.
I don't really see the amount of big races as being a problem. I travel when I want to and when it is convenient for me. I tend to travel to more Nitro events since I know there is only two classes which will guarantee at least 6 full heats for each class .... Sedan and 1/8th scale
True, but for gas its much simpler...its .12 engines across the board for all 200mm sedan. but imagine if nitro was split up with:

200mm sedan .12 class
200mm sedan .15 class
200mm sedan .18 class

and on top of that several 1/8th classes

Classes would be more diluted and less attractive to some.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
its because every1 wants a chance to win in a class they like or that their track runs. if big races were foam heavy, u'd see a drop in asphalt club tracks. if it was rubber, then prolly the opposite. big tracks cater to faster motors, smaller to slower 1s. its all in tryin to cater to every1.

12 scale is easy because its all foam. perhaps WGT (foam) and VTA (rubber) can help with stability. however, things were much nicer both in terms of classes, club races, and even readin results in the mags b4 internet..............when it was stock and mod. thats it.

R
yep...gotta keep it simple...Rubber tires for asphalt and carpet for all classes But realistically, there's is huge group of carpet foam racers in TC and they'd object to this. but that's a minor issue.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
True, but for gas its much simpler...its .12 engines across the board for all 200mm sedan. but imagine if nitro was split up with:

200mm sedan .12 class
200mm sedan .15 class
200mm sedan .18 class

and on top of that several 1/8th classes

Classes would be more diluted and less attractive to some.

You pretty much just made my point as to why I choose to travel to a nitro race vs electric race....

I like the Reedy race of champions format... one spec class and an open mod class. even with a smaller turn out there was more than enough competition for each class....
Old 12-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

hey all: Even when the economy was relatively good most racers couldn't get enough time off of work attend all the big races anyways. As was stated already limit the classes at the big events such as
tc prostock(19t or 13.5) mod(brushed or brushless)
12th pancar prostock and mod same as tc
maybe vta and or worlds gt
Thanks
Old 12-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There are only too many classes because we don't have enough racers left. What we need the most is new racers. From what I've seen the classes are at a point where new guys can't handle stock/17.5

Class speeds that make sense and a stock class that's new racer friendly are what we need.

We need more emphasis on racing and less on speed.

We need some kind of change to slow the cars like we had back in 91.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

what about splitting some of the so called big races into regionals to cover that area. Make four regions, two major regionals per year and then a nationals.

Limit it to three sedan classes and three pan cars nation wide
13.5 foam sedan
mod sedan
VTA racing or 17.5 rubber

1/12th scale
17.5 1/12th
mod 1/12th

200mm 1/10th pan car
13.5 spec tire
Old 12-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

None of the independent promoters will come under ROAR, as it is not in their interest to do so. There are also a lot of people who are not interested in ROAR racing.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Thanks Aaron...can't wait to hear Scotty's opinion on the matter. If someone can get this moving its Scotty
I sent him a private message after I posted. Will have to wait till he has a chance to check this.

Originally Posted by teammidget lilB
If the US had a series like the Euro series that would be amazing! Scooty is deffinally one that can make it happen and the best race promoter there is!
Yes it would be amazing, but the us is more spread out than europe. Well atleast where the euro races are held seem to be closer together.

yep...gotta keep it simple...Rubber tires for asphalt and carpet for all classes But realistically, there's is huge group of carpet foam racers in TC and they'd object to this. but that's a minor issue.
I would keep it too rubber tires like the euro seies. Foam tire racing for tc's seems to be out unless it is a big race. The only foam ever raced at trackside is either for 1/12 or a series race that comes.

Originally Posted by Francis M.
You pretty much just made my point as to why I choose to travel to a nitro race vs electric race....

I like the Reedy race of champions format... one spec class and an open mod class. even with a smaller turn out there was more than enough competition for each class....
Exactly how I would setup this big series. Two to maybe three classes would be all.

Originally Posted by bigemike
what about splitting some of the so called big races into regionals to cover that area. Make four regions, two major regionals per year and then a nationals.

Limit it to three sedan classes and three pan cars nation wide
13.5 foam sedan
mod sedan
VTA racing or 17.5 rubber

1/12th scale
17.5 1/12th
mod 1/12th

200mm 1/10th pan car
13.5 spec tire
You wouldn't see foam results in this area. They tried to make a comeback with it again here and it failed. Everyone else has said too many classes. Your listing is almost as much as the big races. I would do something like this honestly.

Touring Cars
13.5 Super Stock Rubber
Modified Rubber

Then either it would be 1/12 in some fashion or World GT. I probably would say 1/12 instead. I see 1/12 seems to be picking up better than World GT.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 12-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

then that right there is the heart of the problem. it would be like people in daytona only running 3 or 4 nascar events a year and the rest of the races being privately promoted. Nascar wouldn't last long, and neither will r/c if they don't do something to combine some of these classes.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

I know some of these carpet races are really diluted with classes...

You get 400 people signing up but can't get more than 3-4 full heats in anyparticular class...
Old 12-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Food for thought

More classes equals more entrie$ per driver.

Less classes equals less entrie$ per driver.

As a race promoter what would you do because you too have bill$ to pay.

Just having less classes to enter isn't going to increase attendance. Now before anyone asks me...I don't have the answer.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kraig
Food for thought

Just having less classes to enter isn't going to increase attendance. Now before anyone asks me...I don't have the answer.
Kraig you do have a point to your madness. I just used what I have either seen or have read is the most popular. I don't have any direction answer to all of this either. I am just adding what I can think of.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 12-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kraig
Food for thought

You are talking about guys that are spending 5 days travelling to race cars. So yes, You can cut the classes to the more popular ones and guys will just sign up to one of those instead of some obscure class specific to less than 20 people...

You will still end up with about the same attendance but people signing up for a different class as a 2nd option and IMO a better experience since these specific classes will be bigger....
Old 12-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wicked-Wayz
Kraig you do have a point to your madness.
No not at all. Just looking to possibly play Devil's Advocate.

I don't think having something bigger is always better.

I have to take the kids to the sledding hill so I will have time to gather my thoughts so that they make sense.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Hmmmmmmm, If I remember correctly,we use to have the Triple Crown series for carpet on-road back in the day. Cleveland was one stop and usually the Trintiy Shoot Out on the East Coast somewhere and the Halloween Classic in Ohio. It worked because there were only three classes for each scale car; Stock, Masters and Modified 1/12 and TC. Once they started adding a few rubber tire classes, F1 or WGT the turn outs starting dropping and then other races started turning up like Vegas and the Novak and the Birds started including on-road, etc.

Bottom line is that it damn expensive to travel to a major event no matter where you live once you figure in entry fees for two or three classes, hotel, air fare/gas, food, new parts, ect. and most people now a days just plain can't afford it. I quit racing four years ago due to the cost and time that it took to be "competitive" and to travel. I would love to get back in but figure that it would easily cost $5,000 to $10,000 per year to do it all like I once did. I know, that's just my opinion and there's a lot of people out there that will disagree.

With the ecconomy being what it is and for as long as it's going to be, I doubt there is a simple solution to the problem. My opinion is less is better. If there were only four or five big races a year, people could save up for whichever ones really excited them. If you have unlimited funds, by all means go to everyone of them, but give the average guy a chance to afford the sport. They are after all the ones that keep it alive. Even the factories have cut back and are spending less.

SteveL now stepping off his soap box.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.