Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo in World GT Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cammer
You two have to slow down a little and not start jumping on anything, cult, where the hell did that come from.

WGT is the BRCA designation and doesn't have to be everybodys. Will they build them? If current turnouts are any indication 200 MM pan is displacing touring car and every touring car has an update every year they will build them.

I think alot of peoples point here is why are we sticking with convention when it really is a clean sheet of paper. Let's look to the future and imagine what will be run in 3 years. Maybe I can keep my car for a few.

Cult????WTF
What you have is a cult; a few people who cannot agree on anything except a basic theme - go LiPo. You don't seem to care that there are a majority of people running NiMh and very happy. It doesn't even cross your mind that 12th is much bigger than GT10, and we have no trouble using and getting NiMh.

You seem to want to tell us we are living in the past and are wrong for not embracing your theme. I am pointing out to you that there needs to be an agreed set of Rules if you want to run LiPo (like the BRCA have) and that if you are in Europe it will be single cell. I am also asking you not to keep telling the vast majority of racers there is something wrong with them.

WGT is NOT the BRCA designation, that is GT10. Don't think I need to slow down, I think you need to speed up!!
Old 12-03-2008, 05:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
It doesn't even cross your mind that 12th is much bigger than GT10, and we have no trouble using and getting NiMh.
Excuse me, this is the 10 scale thread not the 12 scale thread. This is also discusion of lipo not Nihm. You keep refering to the past, we are all looking to the future. My club has already decided on 2 cell lipo with 21.5 brushless, no provision for Nihm or brushed motors, why, because we all had to buy new cars anyway. Why buy the car then have the rules changed a year later when people no longer want to run their old stuff in their new car.

I am still chuckling about the cult thing. Somebody is going to kidnap me and deprogram me from using Lipos.

Brushless Lipo cult, we could be bruli's an offshoot of the moonies who race rc cars. We hang out in airports and hand people Lilacs. (spec foam tires of course). I am having a hard time using my controller with my robe getting in the way. Do I have to shave my head?
Old 12-03-2008, 05:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Brushless Lipo cult, we could be bruli's an offshoot of the moonies who race rc cars. We hang out in airports and hand people Lilacs. (spec foam tires of course). I am having a hard time using my controller with my robe getting in the way. Do I have to shave my head?
ROFL

We have some at my local track that want to try LiPo, but the guys who go to race events are sticking to their guns on 4-cell NiMh. I don't really care one way or the other, but I try not to adopt a new standard before approved.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Excuse me, this is the 10 scale thread not the 12 scale thread. This is also discusion of lipo not Nihm. You keep refering to the past, we are all looking to the future. My club has already decided on 2 cell lipo with 21.5 brushless, no provision for Nihm or brushed motors, why, because we all had to buy new cars anyway. Why buy the car then have the rules changed a year later when people no longer want to run their old stuff in their new car.

I am still chuckling about the cult thing. Somebody is going to kidnap me and deprogram me from using Lipos.

Glad you got there in the end. Go on, you can tell us, you WERE a Moonie once, weren't you!!
Old 12-06-2008, 07:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
i'm not sure of all the brands of WGT chassis out there, but the CRC takes a 7.4 lipo, the BMI takes a 7.4 lipo, i'm hearing AE is coming out with a lipo chassis. here is my AE with a max amps saddle pack, one of the local tracks is talking about running 7.4 and 13.5 on a large outdoor track next spring summer,

i've talked to verndog about making a better mounting system for the lipo but hes kinda busy with tweak plates and lipo weights hes already making.
The car looks great with the lipos in. What Mah is in there?

DK
Old 12-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well I just got my 3.7 lipo pack today. This is my last time I will be running my 4 cell pack with the 13.5 in World GT. Thanks Danny at SMC for coming out with this battery (4000mah).I've got my reciever pack and a voltage regulator from Much More to install this week. Now there is no excuse for this class or oval and 1/12th not to grow. Brushless motors and lipos- I like this third generation of Motors and batteries!
Old 12-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Looking forward to your future posts BullFrog.

At the cutting edge...Kewl!
Old 12-15-2008, 09:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BullFrog
Well I just got my 3.7 lipo pack today. This is my last time I will be running my 4 cell pack with the 13.5 in World GT. Thanks Danny at SMC for coming out with this battery (4000mah).I've got my reciever pack and a voltage regulator from Much More to install this week. Now there is no excuse for this class or oval and 1/12th not to grow. Brushless motors and lipos- I like this third generation of Motors and batteries!
BullFrog, any updates on how the 3.7v pack/rx pack combo worked in your WGT? My track just got the SMC 3.7v packs in and I'm anxious to try one, but I haven't heard any results specific to WGT cars...only 1/12th cars.

Also, the more I think about lipo in WGT, the more I think 7.4v is the easiest way to go and possibly less expensive than 3.7v. Especially if we could get 7.4v batteries with 2000+mah in a case size similar to the SMC single cell. No need for rx packs, boosters, regulators or updated ESC firmware to work with the lower voltage of a single cell. I know a lot of the folks on this thread have stated they are running 7.4v lipos with several different motors. I would love to be the "trend setter" at my track and run 7.4v/17.5 or 21.5, but there aren't any hard cased 7.4v lipos to fit my Speed Spec II. Danny @ SMC, if you read this I'd love to be a Beta tester for a 2S1P 2000mah pack.....unfortunately my racing experience and lack of driving skill probably wouldn't help in testing/developing anything other than track barriers!!
Old 12-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The NiMh batteries are the single largest (maybe only?) in this class' growth. Less volts is always a step backwards. More amp draw to produce a given amount of wattage? How is that good for anything? Go 7.4v and the motor companies will make motors that produce the appropriate power for a class if they think there will be sales there. Same goes for 1/12th. Nimh is over.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've been wanting to get my WGT car built, the car I have is designed to use a 6 cell style pack, so I can use my 7.4v LIPO.

However, I'm thinking with the push toward a 3.7v lipo, maybe a 7.4 size pack rewired to a 3.7v output but in the long (6 cell size) case would be a good choice.

A 3200 or 3400 type battery redone in a 1s2p configuration would give you 6400 mAh at 3.7v and shouldn't cost any different than the 7.4 version...would give you 10 TONS of run time, and would fit perfect in cars designed for 6 cell or 2s lipos.

These could be built w/ ALL existing products, no re-tooling would be required except during the assembly to wire them in paralell instead of series.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PartTime
The car looks great with the lipos in. What Mah is in there?

DK

those are 4400 max amps (not a hard case)
Old 12-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I have been testing my SMC 1 cell with my 12th and WGT cars lately. I found in my 12th that the loss in weight from te batery wasn't much of an issue. however in my 10R5 my car felt MUCH better once I added weight back to the chassis on the battery. I had way too much off power steering. I will try a softer rear spring to see if I can get the car to work without adding the weight. The SMC weighs in right around 120 grams and a normal 4 cell pack comes in right at 300.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I still have not played with my car yet but I know what the car weight with 4 cell- 41 oz. and with the 1 cell lipo pack 180mah lipo reciever pack and much more voltage reducer the car now weights ready to go 36oz.I've got the weight ready to go to make the car 40.3 oz.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If there is a change the industry will have to absorbe it . But it seems we have enough enginuity to do anything we want to. Problem is most of the racers have other obligations in life other than just buying all new stuff t play speed racer once or twice a week.
Seems to me there has to be a "Formula" not unlike what the trans am guys do. I love that vintage stuff ! Problem is , no one wants to go slow. But then again they also want to keep their cars in one piece. I see in other forums people suggesting that the slowest GT3 class might be the biggest. Ok ok.. thats touring cars but listen up please.
Setting up races where everyone is close no matter what they run.
making cars slower to make it more of a drivers race .
acceleration standardized almost by .... historic at best motors or changing the voltage from the source pack. We have enough toys to play with , lets race then , and if you have a 12th car and u want to run 3.7v and a 13.5, whatever ! bring on your 380 mini motor monsters and lets go toe to toe . just come out and race. Diversity is not only out strength but also neusence. things were far more fun when everyone only had a 12i or whatever but we all had the same crap. There were like 20 or more of us all 4 cell and a 27 pos motor. Trans Am has an ansewr for almost any configuration. Kinda like MINI M03 but 4wd and not plastic! Figuring out how to win without the FASTEST car on the track sounds like the best racing around! My 4 cell 12R5 was Amazing last friday. felt a bit slow but 1st week out you know. For now lets race because most people wont like what another says we need to do. Spend more time on the track proving yourself wothy of an opinion about what others should be running. For one I like the motor size we have and I love Lipos. Efficiency or not a brushless motor canbe made to run about any speed imaginable. Lets remember the sanctioning bodies want to slow the cars down. Making the cars lighter will only change setup. but that will also make the cars faster . So how do we formulate a ligitimate seudo reality toy car race. Final drive .. wind .. volts.. tires.. whatever it takes. but then industry... who picks what tire... the tire manufacture? Us? Hmmm, What ever happened to that fair trade agreement ? There will always be faster cars... better drivers... lets find out by racing. not crashing , not breaking, everyone finishes .... every time. well almost
Old 12-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default LiPo should definatly be allowed!!!!!

My thoughts about the LiPo vs 4cell NiMh debate..... This past weekend, here in Seattle, we had round #3 of our NWIC race @SIR. I observed the following: there were 8 WGT entries, all were required to run 4cell. Two guys would have prefered to run LiPo, but switched to 4cell, (the TQ and winner was one who prefered LiPo), Two guys brought their cars but didn't want to switch to 4cell, so they didn't race. Myself and another guy would have raced but I refuse to buy new 4cell packs to do so. And, if I'm not mistaken, One guy got pissed off about all the equivocating and infighting and sold his AE car to Skypilot, (he didn't want to see the class go LiPo). A few days prior to this "Big Two day Race", I had our Race Directer tell me that he didn't care about the 2 power systems running together, BUT!, the advantage "had to go to the 4cell cars period". (kinda takes the fun out of it). So, to make a short story long, all I keep getting is "attitude", irrational "attitude", and to this I say, exactly how is this supposed to "GROW THE CLASS!!!". I think that there can be reasonable parody between the Two different battery types, and if it's not fair enough, then devide the cars into seperate classes, (but you know if that were to be done, I'd be willing to bet that the LiPo technology would suplant the 4cell cars in popularity in short order).

So the'res my .02, and more food for thought.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.