Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone with a TC3 try.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default Anyone with a TC3 try.......

Putting a rear shock tower on the front? Im racing carpet road course, and would like to know if there are any benifits to doing this. Also...how about running a one way in the front? or even the solid spool? Do they help on carpet? I will be running foams, not rubber tires like a few tracks do.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

you are kidding right!
Old 10-13-2003, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

no, i know some people who run a rear shock tower on the front on asphalt tracks, i think i read that Barry Baker or maybe Josh Cyrul have as well
Old 10-13-2003, 12:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by speedxl
you are kidding right!
Ovalnator, I think he is being sarcastic. This is old news, being done by people for a long time now. People in the TC3 forum thread can help you more.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

ahh, well, im an oval racer, lol. Tried out road course (1/12 and TC) a few months ago, thought id run it a bit more this winter.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

If you run the rear tower in the front you also need to run the new style 2 hole arms and use the Losi front spindle carrier's and front carriers,Losi part # A-1224.The stock TC-3 hinge pins work.By using the Losi carriers and rear tower it makes the TC-3 steer in to the corners better(as in more)it also seemed to make the car smoother. On carpet I like a one way(more steering).I dont really like a spool on carpet,way to much push off power,I know alot of that is how you set up your car but I could never get rid of the push and have the car driveable for me.On a large track a spool might work but most carpet tracks are not real big.I would stick with the diff up front and try Baker's set up(Rear tower up front and the Losi carrier's.)If you need to pick up some corner speed then try the one way.But you have to change your driving style when you use a one way..as in no brakes,and if you smack a wall you can damage the one way and gear.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

xxxkat, thanks for the info, does your shock setup change much when switching to the rear shock tower and losi parts, or does that basically stay consistent?
Old 10-13-2003, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

i wasnt trying to put you down ovalnator its just an old question and the way it sounded was someone tring to be funny.
i appologize.
a rear shock up front will take away steering in the middle of the corner alot of us use it on carpet when theres alot of bite to reduce the traction roll overs hence less traction. the further out the shock are out basic standing up mre you get less traction.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

accually the farther away the shock mounting is away from the arm mount the stiffer, not the more stood up the shock is the stiffer. this accounts for the shock tower and on the suspension arm(if you run the inner hole on the arm, front, the shock is stood up more, but it requires less force to move the arm, compression, so it will be softer). if you run the outter hole on the arm then the shock is further from the fulcrum point and makes the arm harder to move in the upwards direction(hence stiffer), but the shock is more laid down?

basically when the first reedy race was held with out one-ways, they were loosing a lot of steering that they wanted back. they started running the spool, but that didn't help much. then they tried moving the battery up front, but the car would role too much entering the corners, so they tried the rear tower on the front, which worked much better(with the battery and a spool up front). after the NTC3 came out and they figured out how to set it up and it was HAULING, the ae guys wanted to duplicate the setups on the NTC3 and run them on the TC3(if you notice, on the NTC3 the front suspension is a mirrored image of the rear suspension). so when running the rear tower, the shock mounts on the front were too close to the fulcrom point of the arm, in the rear the shock mount on the arm was too far away from the fulcrum point of the arm(front, too soft. rear, too stiff). so new holes were drilled and now those are the v2 arms.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I use the rear tower in the front for foams for better response. I did not change the front end parts to Losi, but have seen this done. I did however switch to losi rear hub carriers for less toe in. Don't use a spool or one way for foam. NOT a good Idea. If your car is set up well on foams you should have plenty of steering already. The one way will increase this and make the car very twitchy!
Old 10-13-2003, 02:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

bubblestc3,great answer.ovalnator,I tend to run about the same set up as I allways have(Bakers so. cal. set up).I'm running an IRS TC-3 thats very light so I run it a little light on the springs and oil.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by xxxkat
bubblestc3,great answer.ovalnator,I tend to run about the same set up as I allways have(Bakers so. cal. set up).I'm running an IRS TC-3 thats very light so I run it a little light on the springs and oil.
thanks
Old 10-13-2003, 11:40 PM
Tech Master

Actually if you lay the shocks in past the point where the shocks are at a 90 degree angle with the a-arm when bottomed out you are making the suspension progressive, meaning the spring and damping get stiffer as the a-arm travels up.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

yes, that is why on the TC3 you can not move the shocks so they are perpendicular to the arm. If you could, then you would have the action of progressive suspension as you said.