Wiki Posts
Search

Just curious?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Just curious?

How many people are still using NIMH batts. aside from 1/12th scale, and where do you race?

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Tech Adept

I just made the switch from NIMH to lipo I can really notice a difference but ive only been racing for about seven months just recent to carpet onroad and am in love, I run dirt oval in summer at Adams Creek Raceway in Broken Arrow,OK
Old 11-27-2008, 12:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Goggles Paesan
How many people are still using NIMH batts. aside from 1/12th scale, and where do you race?

Thanks.
I am, just racing club/regional level in the UK.

See no reason to change - I'm not losing anything in performance, and the car is built for NiMH.

If the cars start to get built for LiPo first and NiMH as an afterthought, then I might change.

Although if Tamiya have their way be might all end up racing LiFe cells and slinging those LiPos in the recycling...
Old 11-27-2008, 03:15 AM
Tech Champion

I'm still racing with nimh at club level too, with a range from gp3700 to EP4600, I'd say its more important on a larger track to be using a brushless setup compared to the brushed equivelent as they tend to give better punch out of the corners, (and a fair amount more top speed when geared right).

On smaller, indoor technical tracks the difference is still noticable, but not as much,imho.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default ....

Still NIMH..agree with sosidge,still on par,when cars are built for them...will consider changing.M
Old 11-27-2008, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Got tired of babysitting my nihm cells. Got tired of wondering wich of my 5 packs was the the good pack, go tired of seeing cells blowing around me in the pits...

Dumped the load last spring and been running smc lipo since then, One single reliable pack run after run after run..... No toys,no games, babysitting....
Old 11-27-2008, 05:36 AM
Tech Elite

As long as the weight rules stay in place there is no need for purpose built lipo car. I think its a cop out to be honest.

Nicads and then nihms just got heavier and heavier and we never seen chassis built to suit the newest heavy cells. I dont see why we need a "LIPO CHASSIS" other then get rid of cell slots and have nice box retainers to hold the square packs im not sure why people think there needs to be a special chassis. With wiegh rules as they are you have to add lead to make weight so you slap the stuff ontop of the lipo pack or the battery side of your chassis till your car is balanced and you go racing.

If someone is really horny for a lipo built car, grab a Losi or a HPI PRO3
Old 11-27-2008, 06:13 AM
Tech Champion

I don't think there is a need for a whole new car to be developed for lipo, but a new bottom chassis/parts conversion, i've seen too many people use lipo and hope their glass fibre tape will hold it in place, when it won't.

When you have an easy to use battery holder (like velcro straps) on nimh then switch over to lipo, it is a PITA when you have to make your own holder imho.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

With my 007, i took the 4 corner guides for the nihm cell holders, and used my dremel to give them flat spots. My 4000 packs slides right into them, Before i even use my fibre tape the packs is locked in place. I have yet to have a pack slide out, i still see nihm packs hangin out the side of cars with battery bars broken at the track!
Old 11-27-2008, 08:16 AM
Tech Champion

Good to hear you've not had any problems, but some cars are packaged in the box without any fixings and rely on fixing tape, which can be a problem.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

NiMh here - but am ending my 1st season of racing. In off-road, racing B4 buggies, I think LiPo vs. NiMH not really too much difference if weight is the same. Much of it is driving skill. I'm not going to go LiPo until maybe middle of next season. My son and I race together so that would be a bunch of cash put out to get chargers and batteries. the nice thing about LiPo is their peak performance and now capacity. 30C 5000+ 2S lipos will be what most people will use in 1/10 scale off and on road - but there may be some die-hards.

If I remember right, the fastest guy at a local track we were at this summer used NiMh but others were running LiPo. But, the fast guys are those who do proper maintenance, don't crash at all and can hit the jumps properly.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I haven't changed simply because I don't need to! I have beaten someone using all the latest gear with my year old never equalised ni-mh's (grepow 4500's before you ask. not even top quality!). I charge with a one touch charger(ie just a box with a button and amp selector), have never had a cell go pop (I charge on an aluminium table and that takes the heat away well), and it would be over £100 to upgrade to lipo, when it might not even fit in my TA05 without spending more on a lipo specific bottom chassis.

I simply see no reason to fork out my hard earned cash on something that won't improve my lap times or give me any maintenance decrease (since I do none anyway and the cells are fine.)
Old 11-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I use both. LiPo in my TC5 and the Shark, and NiMh in the Yokomo SD. No need for expensive cells in the SD when I'm not racing too competitively.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Tech Champion

All our electric on-road classes in Pearl City Hawaii still use NiMh. The insurance at the LHS we race in front of doesn't allow LiPo so until we get our own insurance we have to follow that policy.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

So what about your Transmitter, can you run Lipos in them? or is that illegal also.