Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Orion or Maxamps 2 S lipo??

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Orion or Maxamps 2 S lipo??

I want a second battery and i have a friend selling both. Both are 5000 2 s lipos only run 4 times each.

I already have an smc 5000.

Any opinions on either of these 2 choices. or should I be looking at another brand
Old 11-25-2008, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fergup
I want a second battery and i have a friend selling both. Both are 5000 2 s lipos only run 4 times each.

I already have an smc 5000.

Any opinions on either of these 2 choices. or should I be looking at another brand
I haven't had an Orion but race with plenty that do and they are great. I've had MaxAmps 6000's and they have worked great. I personally would not worry about the performance of either. I probably would tend to lean towards the Orion because of the hard case and ROAR approval. I guess I would make sure the Orion fits in your car and that the top deck and/or bulkheads aren't in the way of the battery connections.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I have two of the Orion 5000 platinum2 Lipos and i'm very happy with them, but I'm told by people who I trust that the Maxamps will probably be the better pick.

I doubt you'd be unhappy with either one, but given the choice right now I'd take the Maxamps.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

great thanks....both are being sold for 80 bucks, with deans connectors installed so i guess either is a good deal
Old 11-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

If you plan to keep these packs for a long time GET A HARD CASE. I had a maxamps 6000 for a little over a year and slowly the pack gained a slight "bow" in its shape and the power loss was incredible. Some say that dents and bends don't affect lipo's and hardcases are pointless but I tend to disagree. I have replaced all my soft maxamp packs with trackpower gold bricks and it was the best thing I ever did. Also, the orion pack has great cells while we have yet to find out what maxamps uses Also, the bullet plugs on the hardcase packs make swapping out for fresh wire a breaze.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've had 4 MaxAmps lipo's (4k,5k,6k) in my TC, I like the 5000 2s1p the best. All you need do is Shoe Goo some lexan on the sides that touch. I also now have 2 Trakpower 4900's 25c and really like them.
Mod and 10.5 TC rubber.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Let me amend my original statement... if the Maxpower is not in a hardcase I'd avoid it. Sorry I didn't think of that earlier when I posted...