Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In 2009 ROAR goes to 6 Minute electric races

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:11 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by c1 racin
RC Racing Xtreme that puts on the Bass Pro Shop Series in Jackson, MS ran 7 minute heats and mains all year this year, without any problem. It was a 13.5BL / 27T class. No problems, so much so that next year the class is going up to 8 minute heats and mains!.... .... The Daphne/Mobile, AL HobbyTown track, Mobile RC Racing, went to the BIG CHILL race that was put on last month there and liked it so much that they now are going to run the same time .....
We are also dropping the wieght limit of the cars to 1425. With lipo accessability and reliability, everyone is joining in on the fun. 7 min was no problem and I dont see 8 being one either especially with the 100 gram drop in overall chassis wieght.

Good move by roar. Now lets take some lead off of em.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

For those of you asking for a lower weight in TC, we did. Weight for T2 (Touring Car) will be 1500gr.

As far as what classes will be 6 min. everything electric, except 1/12th, 1/8th Off Road, and Oval.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by schurcr
For those of you asking for a lower weight in TC, we did. Weight for T2 (Touring Car) will be 1500gr.

As far as what classes will be 6 min. everything electric, except 1/12th, 1/8th Off Road, and Oval.

Thanks for the update, 30 grams does make a big difference and IMO it is smart to reduce to the weight to match IFMAR....
Old 11-25-2008, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Krio
First off the races are never 5 mins on a decent sized offroad track. With onroad, lap times are in the mid to low teens indoors, but with ifmar qualifying the races are are closer to 6 minutes (last car starts 20 seconds after the others and then has a 12-5:26 for a total of 5:46. Also, its 20 heats minimum. Plus consider the 2 full novices heats that have times literally 6 minutes if they squeak in that extra lap

it usually beaks down like this:
20 to 24 heats @ 5:45 min heats w/ a strict 2 minutes between. Racing doesn't start right at ten. More like 10:30 and there isn't any way to start earlier. They are literally putting in names from before 8 am till the racing starts. Starting with 22 heats brings us to 2 hours of racing and 40 mins between those races. There is a quick (5 minute) sweep midway though the round to bring traction back for the mod classes plus a thorough (10 minute) sweep and water at the end of each round which brings us to 2 hours and 55 minutes. Basically 3 hours. 4 rounds becomes 12 hours and something is bound to go wrong in that amount of time. If everything goes like clockwork we could be done at 10:30 at night, but we are usually done between 11 and 11:30

I am far from complaining though...This "all day" event is the best way I could think to spend 24 hours of my life. Sleeping and racing
Your talking about washtenaw!! Just for the record I voted for 2 -6min. qaulifiers with a 6 min. main at the first race.but majority wanted 3-5min qual. and a 5 min. main so there it is.I was unable to make it this week end due to my radio crapping out on me,but i will be there for the next one!By the way if you get there when the doors open at 8:00 its' more like 8am to 12 midnight +.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would rather have one less heat and extend the heats and mains by a couple of minutes if it were up to me. I think what Roar has done is great.

The longer race times put gearing, tire heat, etc back into play. Also it takes a lap or two for me to get back into the right mind set so more racing at one time beats the same amount of racing broke into smaller time spans.

JMO.

Last edited by Gain Time; 11-25-2008 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Cant get my internet Acronyms straight.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

thank you for dropping tc weight thats another great move keep up the good works
Old 11-25-2008, 09:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

make the quals 4 min
and the main 6

'bout time I ran 4 min with 1200's now I have 5000 lipo
Old 11-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I second that shorter qualls allow 3 quals in a shorter period and then longer mains. makes the main more exciting and requires a bit better battery motor managenment. along with gearing and trigger pull choices.

Then the 12 hour day becomes 10 or maybe 8 or 9...

3 minute quals with 6 minute mains would have a significant saving on a 20 - 30 heat day.

20 5 minute heats to 3 minutes would save 40 minutes per round, 3 rounds would make a beter day for everyone from race controll to end racer.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

wow.. pretty close to the entire Executive Committee making comments on this thread.. LOL

Ruben, Andrew, JD.... I'm sure Shawn is reading this..
Old 11-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

We've put shorter qualifiers to a vote (or eliminating a round and offering bump ups) and its shot down everytime. We have come to expect the long days and make the most of them, if not downright enjoy them. You regularly see kids with playstations and xboxes hooked up to tv's and some jerry-rig a satelite feed and catch college football.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Good God!!!! Damn if you do, and Damn if you don't.

Look, most tracks do not have the problem of 150 entries for a club race... So if this is your problem, you can find a way to make it work, run more in a heat, 15 cars (most software can handle 20 cars, and most tracks can handle 12 to 15 cars on the track at the same time. Yes, some drivers that ram though the heat will not like this, but hey this is good time for them to working on driving skills, Or you could run less qualifiers, run less time, whatever you decide, so be it.

On ROARs part, EXCELLENT move, personal from that we have experienced at Bass Pro, adding a few more mins of run time, does not make the day longer... because the biggest problem is getting people on the track for the next heat or Turn Marshalls, NOT run time. And we run Nitro (3 classes), with added time to the mains, and do not have a problem. In fact many people, just like here, bitched at first, then ran the first race, and LOVED IT. I would say try it, then if you still have something to say, come back and share your experience.

But give it a try, you just like it.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by bvoltz
Good God!!!! Damn if you do, and Damn if you don't.

Look, most tracks do not have the problem of 150 entries for a club race... So if this is your problem, you can find a way to make it work, run more in a heat, 15 cars (most software can handle 20 cars, and most tracks can handle 12 to 15 cars on the track at the same time. Yes, some drivers that ram though the heat will not like this, but hey this is good time for them to working on driving skills, Or you could run less qualifiers, run less time, whatever you decide, so be it.

On ROARs part, EXCELLENT move, personal from that we have experienced at Bass Pro, adding a few more mins of run time, does not make the day longer... because the biggest problem is getting people on the track for the next heat or Turn Marshalls, NOT run time. And we run Nitro (3 classes), with added time to the mains, and do not have a problem. In fact many people, just like here, bitched at first, then ran the first race, and LOVED IT. I would say try it, then if you still have something to say, come back and share your experience.

But give it a try, you just like it.
Yeesh...all I did was praise ROAR for the increase and then explain why it hasn't worked at my local track. I never said I was against it. There is another track nearby that has run 7 min mains for a while and everyone is all for it.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Krio
Yeesh...all I did was praise ROAR for the increase and then explain why it hasn't worked at my local track. I never said I was against it. There is another track nearby that has run 7 min mains for a while and everyone is all for it.
Sorry if you felt it was directed at you... My post was directed at all the people that do not see this as a postive move and why. Based on your track, this may not fit and you have explained why, and I get it...
Old 11-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

how about this to keep it simple..

1st qual.... 30 seconds
2nd qual.... 1 min.....
3rd qual..... 2 min....
Mains.....14.5 min... lol.............

I'm glad that ROAR implemented the extra minute on heats.. Weather you guys do it locally is up to you guys. I'm also really glad ROAR reduced the min weight by 35 grams. I'm just waiting for someone to reply that the weight should be reduced to 1100 grams minimum...lol
Old 01-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Here's the 7 min A-main from the '08 Big Chill race at the RC Racing Xtreme Bass Pro Shops Series ... Thanks to flatspunout
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.