Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Shaft vs. Belt again >

Shaft vs. Belt again

Shaft vs. Belt again

Old 10-08-2003, 07:58 PM
Tech Adept

Ok, i think i'll get the T1r. I talked to the LHS owner and he recommended the T1R as well. What is the lowest price i can get it for? I don't have much money to spend because i want new cells and a new radio.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:01 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by JoshR 85
HeY!!!

Disaster mayb you're friend can't drive, or the track layout is rough on cars. the TC3 isn't fragile though.
i dunno about him, but from where i came from...we have a large smooth track and the only thing that keeps breaking are TC3...nothing else is everyone i know got ride of their tc3 and went to something else

besides, i believe tc3 is the only car with optional really hard bumpers and nerf wings! you dont see any other company makes hard bumpers and nerf wings for other cars!
Old 10-08-2003, 08:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Default T1R

I found mine on e-bay it was on an auction I got it for $185.00 plus shipping. My LHS sells them for $235.00 so Street price is in that range. Good choice you'll not regret it
Old 10-08-2003, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm sorry, but I can't help but laugh when someone claims that the TC3 is fragile. I've had mine for over 3 1/2 years, & I can literally count the number of parts(aside from CVD's when running a one-way up front) I've broken on it on ONE HAND. I even still have the original style front arms(no droop screws), simply because I haven't broken them in so long. Though I suppose I will change over to the version 2's soon, & I did finally install a graphite chassis(completed with the battery compartment mod) recently. I'm not saying the car's bulletproof, but it's no less tough than any other high-performance chassis I've run(& I've run a lot of Yokomos & Tamiyas before it). There are 2 simple thing you should do with a TC3 to keep from breaking things on such a regular basis, 1. get the RPM wide front bumper, it does a nice job of protecting the front arms from many angles), & 2. STAY OFF THE BOARDS, simple as that....
Old 10-08-2003, 09:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Shaft vrs. belt..I think alot of it depends on what type of track you race on and what class.In stock a shaft car seems to have an advantage,tight track, shaft car gets out of the corner quicker,in mod. the motor over comes any acceleration issues.just my 2 cents
Old 10-08-2003, 11:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by xxxkat
Shaft vrs. belt..I think alot of it depends on what type of track you race on and what class.In stock a shaft car seems to have an advantage,tight track, shaft car gets out of the corner quicker,in mod. the motor over comes any acceleration issues.just my 2 cents
I tend to disagree on this.... I'm running stock class on a very tight and technically track. But the shaft cars cant beat my Pro2, when it's about acceleration out of corners.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:17 AM
Tech Lord

Maybe your just a better driver,I have a few belt and shaft drive TC's and on a tight technical track I am faster with the shaft drive cars(by lap times).I would like to think that the cars I'm comparing represent the state of the art in touring cars.I tend to like belt driven cars more but for me the proof is in lap times,my own,not my lap times vrs. someone elses.When you do that it proves nothing other than you are a better driver than he is.I think with all the major RC company's switching to shaft drive cars says something.Theirs even rumors that the car Huddy is working on is going to be a shaft driven design.Both designs have their problems and good points,With all the RC company's trying to out do each other in the TC's,We are the ones that win.Better cars every 6 mo.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Default xxxkat

I dont know which cars you got, but comparing laptimes with two different cars, dont prove anything about transmission. Because there's a lot of other differencies in the cars, like suspension geometry and weight distribution.

By the way, I didnt say I beat all the shaft cars. There are 2-3 drivers (shaft), that beats me. But it's because they are better drivers than me. But when it's about acceleration, they cant beat me and my Pro2. Just like I cant beat them.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:07 PM
Tech Adept

With the low ratio pulleys in the XRay, the XRay accellerates as hard as any shaft drive car. Actually, it feels punchier than my old TC3, and I invested a lot of time into getting the TC3 freed up. At the last race (in stock class, on a very technical carpet track), I was lapping the TC3 cars repeatedly with my XRay. There is nothing magical about a shaft drive car. A properly set up belt car (even a double belt car like the XRay) can be just as free rolling as any shaft drive car.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Something I haven't heard anybody talk about is Backlash.

There is hardly any backlash at all (only between the pinion and spur) on a belt car, but plenty in a car like the TC3. The backlash in the gears, I believe, can cause some interesting characteristics with a shaft car when you need to be on and off power. Also, bull out a belt from a belt car, and try to stretch it. It won't stretch, if it does: its worn out, or you are REALLY stong.

I have a TC3, and am pretty fast with it, but I have been looking at an Xray for a couple reasons:
Battery distribution (weight dist. to reduce the side to side difference with the TC3 even though I did the battery mod thing.
No backlash
Those machined bulkheads look SOOO cool...
Old 10-09-2003, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Backlash would be negligible at best in a SD or any other quality shaft car. A lot of this stuff borders on nit-picky and the best thing to do is find a chassis that works for you and become familiar with it. A good driver is a good driver and can win with any properly setup, quality chassis like a yok sd or barracuda or xray, etc.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by PitCrew
Something I haven't heard anybody talk about is Backlash.

There is hardly any backlash at all (only between the pinion and spur) on a belt car, but plenty in a car like the TC3. The backlash in the gears, I believe, can cause some interesting characteristics with a shaft car when you need to be on and off power. Also, bull out a belt from a belt car, and try to stretch it. It won't stretch, if it does: its worn out, or you are REALLY stong.

I have a TC3, and am pretty fast with it, but I have been looking at an Xray for a couple reasons:
Battery distribution (weight dist. to reduce the side to side difference with the TC3 even though I did the battery mod thing.
No backlash
Those machined bulkheads look SOOO cool...
Pit, I just started running the xray evo2 after a year of running a tc3 and yes the balance of the chassis is dead-on. My car doesn't show any slack of acceleration and the car is a tank(yet light) so I doubt I'll see any tweak issues Another thing I like about the xray is the new shocks, they are externally adjustable so no more dump this oil and in with this oil(unless of course you are rebuilding).
Old 10-09-2003, 03:39 PM
Tech Lord

The touring cars I am compairing are a IRS TC-3,Alex R2 cuda,Evo III,and an Xray evo II(with the C hubs and low ratio pulley's,3mm belts and other hop ups),Yokomo MR4 TC SSG,G-Plus xxxs,and a 414MII.I would think that they represent state of the art in touring car design.For me the R2 Cuda has the best acceleration of any TC I own.But it's not without it's problems (in stock form it likes to munch on spur gears).As I said before it's only my opinion,the belt and shaft cars are so close in performance that I dont think their is that big of a difference,set up and tires/inserts make a bigger impact on performance.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by xxxkat
For me the R2 Cuda has the best acceleration of any TC I own.But it's not without it's problems (in stock form it likes to munch on spur gears).

That problem has now been fixed with the R3

-Dave
Old 10-09-2003, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
That problem has now been fixed with the R3

-Dave
Ain't nothing mo money can't fix eh Dave? Alex Racing PwN35 your souls hahaha, j/k

It'd be interesting to see what the R3 looks like. It's amazing how quickly Alex Racing refines their chassis. Heck HPI has been pimping the Pro4 for how long now?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.