Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 12:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi, I just bought for a fare price an used A700 from one of the first generation (produced mid 2012 I think).
I have a few questions...

- is the rear toe link position (shorter) on the AM19 really affect the handling or no or if adjusted accordingly is about the same?
- is the lower deck behavior comparable to the EX/EXL, best outside or inside?
- this car was probably never updated with the newer plastic parts example P18/19 vs P01/02. Is other parts need to be changed to be reliable? AM23?
- from what I understand everything is the same geometry just less link positions on the AM01 vs the AM01-1...?
- Are the #3 damper usable in normal weather? I will change the OR07 to be certain. Are they working well with the soft spring?

Thanks!
Alexandre
Old 07-29-2014, 07:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daktulos
Hi, I just bought for a fare price an used A700 from one of the first generation (produced mid 2012 I think).

- is the rear toe link position (shorter) on the AM19 really affect the handling or no or if adjusted accordingly is about the same?
- this car was probably never updated with the newer plastic parts example P18/19 vs P01/02. Is other parts need to be changed to be reliable? AM23?
- from what I understand everything is the same geometry just less link positions on the AM01 vs the AM01-1...?
- Are the #3 damper usable in normal weather? I will change the OR07 to be certain. Are they working well with the soft spring?

Thanks!
Alexandre
can someone w/ Gen1 car experience chime in....
Old 07-29-2014, 08:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Hi Alexandre,

The following observations are based on outdoors medium to low grip.

The original chassis is 3mm thick and a little too stiff in my experience. Not by much but enough. I would suggest thinner if always running med to low grip.

Outdoors I always run shorter links, feels better overall and gives some camber gain.

The plastics are fine

AM01 is fine too it just a little different in setting up the rear toe links.

Soft spring with the original dampers are also good.

Cheers
Old 07-29-2014, 09:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

See responses in italics

MD > The original rear toe link position was shorter and seemed to induce more bump on compression. Once the new bulkheads came out I never went back to the original mount

MD > In its original form, the chassis without the flex slots didn't generate enough traction. Modified with a dremel and slots added - the chassis became quite competitive indoors and outdoors

MD > Plastics are have always been good. Many of my P01/P02 parts are still in use.

MD > Geometry is always a good improvement, many of the setups you find on PETITRC are still going to be really competitive.

MD > I have tried to make the #3 work outdoors but have always gone back to #6 with standard springs. It seems to generate good traction while not making the car feel over sprung or dampened. I would actually like to see even a #7 or #8 one day...

Thanks!
Alexandre
Old 07-29-2014, 09:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It may be more difficult to keep bump toe from occurring on the older version due to the shorter links as caster dynamically changes. If the links are short bump toe will change at a faster rate

Except for two differences the original lower deck is identical in shape and thickness to the EX/EXL. The original does not have a .5mm counter bore ( reducing chassis thickness to 2.5mm ) for the lower AT21 ball to sit lower. This counter bore allows a lower roll center. ( Add AT21S and it is .5mm lower so this combination is good if you want to lower your roll center 1mm ) Also, the EX/EXL chassis has cuts that increase flex. I noticed a difference, in my opinion the slight bit of added flex allowed the car to maintain better traction on all surfaces

There was a running change to ST16 that resulted in a significant increase in durability of the front and rear "CV" joints. If your axles were not rebuilt in the last year and a half , it would be good to change these.

I believe it was only the inner rear toe link position. I didn't notice any other changes

I haven't tested the #3 dampers nearly enough to have on opinion.

Thanks!
Alexandre
( edit : looks like MDawson and I were both typing out responses at the same time ! LOL , and used the same format too ! )

See my thoughts in Red above.

For sure, start using P01-P02 asap !

Jake D.

Last edited by Magnet Top; 07-29-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:27 AM
Tech Adept

Wow thanks guy's so with a dremel and some at21s I will be ok to start
More seriously in the future I may recuperate some important parts when I will convert my 700l to a ffg. But it seems that on it's original flavour the car is usable!
Old 07-30-2014, 08:58 AM
Tech Addict

Here's another take on it.

If you have the original car the dampers will be silver, in one piece including the sliding mount. They have completely different characteristics to the later darker coloured 2 piece dampers. The damping is stiffer and less linear.

Each to their own but I preferred the old car without the cut chassis as the combination with stiff dampers gave about the right amount of reaction.

When the A700L arrived a year or so later, with the new dampers and cut chassis I tried swapping the parts around in an attempt to separate and understand the effects of the cut chassis and new dampers. The cut chassis definitely produced more traction but also more steering response. The new dampers being slightly softer took away some of the reaction resulting in a great feeling car with more traction than its predecessor, which was a bonus especially on asphalt.

However, the original uncut car with a decent setup on carpet is still something to be reckoned with. Its still amazingly quick. The newer cars are quick in a wider variety of situations.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have the older chassis with the newer dampers. I would.like to cut my chassis. Is there a template for doing this? If so where to i find it?
Old 07-30-2014, 09:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

For those who are interested in, I sell a nearly brand new A700 first generation with parts, I'll post it in the F/S thread tonight, PM me if interested

Cheers,
G-rem
Old 07-30-2014, 10:19 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

When you refill the GD2 using the tubes syringe etc, do you remove the outdrives?
Old 07-30-2014, 10:33 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
When you refill the GD2 using the tubes syringe etc, do you remove the outdrives?
yes, as you must back out the pin and set screw.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
Yes
Old 07-30-2014, 02:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dragonracing
I have the older chassis with the newer dampers. I would.like to cut my chassis. Is there a template for doing this? If so where to i find it?
Way back when the team were experimenting with the cut chassis Oleg did have a schematic to help drivers cut the chassis in the correct place.

If you need to run long rear trackrods on the original car to reduce bump steer you can fix the links on the underside of the bulkhead using the same screw hole as the top deck attaches. Use a long grub screw. I believe John Doucakis first made the mod, it works well.

Last edited by hana166; 07-30-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Last edited by G-rem; 07-30-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hana166
Way back when the team were experimenting with the cut chassis Oleg did have a schematic to help drivers cut the chassis in the correct place.

If you need to run long rear trackrods on the original car to reduce bump steer you can fix the links on the underside of the bulkhead using the same screw hole as the top deck attaches. Use a long grub screw. I believe John Doucakis first made the mod, it works well.
Oleg, do you still have this schematic available?

my track rods are already done this way. but thanks for the heads up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.