Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Old 03-31-2014, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dizzy1
What upper ballcups and balls are everyone using? I miss the ability to put a wrench thru the ball cup to loosen up the ball to change shims. I see in the pic a few posts up it has what I want.
A few of us are using TOP racing ball cups and balls.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecaptain
Yes that's what im asking, specifically to that rear castor. I can easily modify the front steering, castor blocks to assume the position of just the c hub in that rear. A dremel and some sand paper would see to that. Now would having permanent castor in the rear. That would affect the rear tires slip angle constantly yes? Yes they are fine tuning options that why I am looking to try these. I appreciate the responses and information, trying to negate my ignorance towards this.
Am I thinking of this wrong, but using a front castor block on the rear will not give you dynamic caster, just static, which is the same as moving a wheelbase shim right?

Even with with A700, if I set rear caster to 2dg, the wheelbase is static, I'd have to use shims under one link to get dynamic.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 177 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeXray
Am I thinking of this wrong, but using a front castor block on the rear will not give you dynamic caster, just static, which is the same as moving a wheelbase shim right?

Even with with A700, if I set rear caster to 2dg, the wheelbase is static, I'd have to use shims under one link to get dynamic.
Right it would just be static castor, I feel like thats not right, but once again im not entirely sure. I feel like it shouldnt really change the wheelbase, however it would change the tire slip angle. It would make the tire lean(give it castor), which yes would change the wheelbase slightly, and also put the rear tire on an angle. So im not sure, I feel like there isnt a huge data base of information about this specific subject.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
Rear Caster - used to adjust wheelbase, no other effect that i'm aware of.

Rear Bump steer - used to increase or reduce rear toe as the car leans into the corner. I've played with this a little but not enough to say it's beneficial setting. If the link is angled upwards it increases tow in as the arm lifts, link flat less to no toe in change in on arm rise, angled down decreases toe on arm rise.

Reactive Caster in the front - same theory as 12th scale reactive caster. As the arm lefts caster will be removed. Info from 12th scale setup guide.
-Increase the angle – Make the car react quicker & offer more steering.
-Decrease the angle – make the car easier to drive smoothly into corners.
I personally like this setting and use it on both my cars, gives the car more overall steering through out the entire turn.
I don't know if I "buy" the rear caster only effects wheelbase. I'm pretty sure it effects camber as the car squats. With all of the adjustments on this line of cars -- I just keep rear caster at 0.

I'm a HUGE FAN of the rear bump steer adjustment. Adding more shims between the am23 and ball stud frees up the car in the corners. I much prefer to make that adjustment vs reducing static toe.

Thankfully there are a lot more Awesomatix drivers now -- probably nearly 100 more in the USA -- so as people try things hopefully they will post up here.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
I don't know if I "buy" the rear caster only effects wheelbase. I'm pretty sure it effects camber as the car squats. With all of the adjustments on this line of cars -- I just keep rear caster at 0.

I'm a HUGE FAN of the rear bump steer adjustment. Adding more shims between the am23 and ball stud frees up the car in the corners. I much prefer to make that adjustment vs reducing static toe.

Thankfully there are a lot more Awesomatix drivers now -- probably nearly 100 more in the USA -- so as people try things hopefully they will post up here.
Oleg has posted on here before that the other effects besides wheelbase are negligible. I personally think its another good option to play with, shorter WB is more aggressive, longer is smoother. I had 4* caster shortening the WB at horsham in 17.5 saturday
Old 04-01-2014, 07:53 AM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I was also thinking of how rear reactive caster can change quite a few things on the rear of the car mid corner when the suspension is loaded. You are able to affect rear toe gain/subtraction, and you can have the wheelbase actually shorten or lengthen in high load corners via that. Could be a pretty dramatic affect on the car.

Not sure where you'd want any of that, but like the rear bump steer adjustment, its something unique to these cars.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Gd2

Has anyone tried a Gd2 in front with 1-2.5mil?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:53 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I've only used a gd1 with 2.5m. I still prefer spools.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by haywood
Last month the 2014 Roar Carpet National Champion , Kody Knudtson , used a GD2 with 2.5million in the front to win the mod title.

See his setup here :

http://www.awesomatixusa.com/p/setup-sheets.html

Jake D.

Last edited by Magnet Top; 04-01-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by haywood
I have as well,

I like the GD2 ( XRAY gears) with the 2.5M in it.. I have also tried the GD1 but to me It just never felt right on the track, I tried it a few times and every time I did I went right back to a spool, until I tried a GD2.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (98%+)
Default Damper chart??

Guys
Local track owner showed me a damper chart which shows all possibilities based on our shocks and had 4 different charts based on Spring and also I or II configuration. He left town for a few days and mentioned it was on Petite RC but I couldn't find it????

Anybody know where I can find it? Love to have it in my pit box!!!!
Old 04-02-2014, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Dampner chart is in the back of the manual that comes with your car. If you have not seen this I'm guessing you bought your car used and did not receive a manual. I believe Hanulec has an electronic copy of the manual on is website. Go to awesomatixusa.com. Oleg probably has it on his website as well.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (98%+)

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
Dampner chart is in the back of the manual that comes with your car. If you have not seen this I'm guessing you bought your car used and did not receive a manual. I believe Hanulec has an electronic copy of the manual on is website. Go to awesomatixusa.com. Oleg probably has it on his website as well.
No. Got the kit brand new the other week. And I saw damper charts that were formatted just like rollout/gear charts based on type of Spring and what measurements are used on the awesomatix dampers.....

Any one know where I can find this????
Old 04-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ghoppa
No. Got the kit brand new the other week. And I saw damper charts that were formatted just like rollout/gear charts based on type of Spring and what measurements are used on the awesomatix dampers.....

Any one know where I can find this????
Here's an excel spreadsheet i created that i believe has what your looking for. The "SPR01S Chart" tab is a table your describing. Better yet copy this Excel doc to your phone and use it live, you can type in your suspension settings and have it calculate the values instantly. You can also type in the swaybar stiffness and get a full suspension stiffness value.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
A700 susp.zip (40.0 KB, 175 views)
Old 04-02-2014, 08:51 PM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

So a used kit I just received, has a set of the old A700 dampers. How do they compare to the new ones (R6)? they look nice.

Also what amount of oil leaking from R6 dampers is normal and acceptable?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.