Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
I think the A700 can be pushed harder, but after spending nearly $1000 on the kit , people tend to baby the Car around the track rather than push it... I doubt I'll find anybody here with 3.5t + motors in their cars!!!
The A700 is about $830USD. It isn't the only touring car at that price level. Consider that similarly equipped Kyosho, X-ray, Yokomo and Tamiya are in the same group. You can either spend it upfront or like most folks realize that you can easily spend a couple hundred over the initial costs of the premium kits just get it to pro spec.

As for horsepower, even at 360 Raceway, guys will not running anything hotter than 4.5T. Even then that is too much power even for most driving any car. Other than some outdoor tracks where mod is still a novelty (mod - anything faster than a 13.5).

The limitation of being able to use that power is track, grip and electronics. You don't need a hemi, turbo or blown diffuser to go fast.

The a700 with the right setup for conditions will just as many races as the next car. Freddy was quick with his Hot Bodies. He is even faster with the A700. If you can out qualify the WC and give the top 4 drivers in Europe a good run, that is worth a couple of dollars.

Not everyone needs to own a BMW or Mercedes but those that do feel pretty good about how their stuff works, gets maintained and performs.

People tend to forget that just a couple years ago we were paying an extra $50-75 per nickel metal pack just together tenths/hundredths of a volt!

Driving 'punched' might make a great show but it doesn't always win races.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

I also think that it's for sure more than stupid to use 3,5T motors. Nobody can handle it with the modern LiPo and no tire will be strong enough whatever belt or shaft drive ...
For the tourque steer I can only say that it really depends on the carpet/ track but I normally never feel any problem while accelerate...

I just came back from the ETS race. The track was large and very bumpy, also some tape and small holes made it in the end very hard to drive.
Bad driving and no luck dropped me down to 4th. But we learned a lot about the car with the ride tires and I am really happy in the end. :-)

The only problem was the first lap in the finals. I didn't get the tires temperature up and the result was huge understeer for the first corners. In the last final I tried tire warmes and the car was much better than.

I think Oleg will post the setup on the Awesomatix page and here. I don't have the possibility to reduce the size of the pdf...

I drove the standard kit, with just the ball bearings blades as an option part.
We found out that asymetric front and symetric rear shock mode made the car a lot better over bumps. But we are working hard on solutions for the future :-)

Freddy
Old 04-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FreddySudhoff
I also think that it's for sure more than stupid to use 3,5T motors. Nobody can handle it with the modern LiPo and no tire will be strong enough whatever belt or shaft drive ...
For the tourque steer I can only say that it really depends on the carpet/ track but I normally never feel any problem while accelerate...

I just came back from the ETS race. The track was large and very bumpy, also some tape and small holes made it in the end very hard to drive.
Bad driving and no luck dropped me down to 4th. But we learned a lot about the car with the ride tires and I am really happy in the end. :-)

The only problem was the first lap in the finals. I didn't get the tires temperature up and the result was huge understeer for the first corners. In the last final I tried tire warmes and the car was much better than.

I think Oleg will post the setup on the Awesomatix page and here. I don't have the possibility to reduce the size of the pdf...

I drove the standard kit, with just the ball bearings blades as an option part.
We found out that asymetric front and symetric rear shock mode made the car a lot better over bumps. But we are working hard on solutions for the future :-)

Freddy
Well done!

Interesting take on the dampener setup. We just move to our outdoor season. Normally ran ASY front/rear. On asphalt, bumpy track the SYS felt like it held the front end up better, more initial steering. Kept the rear ASY. The car was pretty good. Basically my carpet setup with the from dampener change.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MDawson
Well done!
+1
Old 04-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Okay, I hope I can practice soon outdoor. Will test than both I forgot to say that with the ride tires we used a longer wheelbase. Instead of 4-5° rear "caster" we ran 0-2° which made the car a lot more easy and less edgy to drive :-)
Old 04-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

3.5t motors are the next best thing in shaft cars(ie my tc4), but I thought some of you more experienced drivers would recognize this. I guess not. I refuse to follow the belt Car setups in my tc4, and it has paid Off in the bottom End department with a 3.5t gtb: nobody out accelerates my Car eventhough it's on the heavy side at 1500grams.... I do run ceramic Bearings, and a titanium shaft along with Sweep exp40 Tires... I know it depends on track size, but gran canaria is huge: 3.5t should easily run there... I still have alot to learn before I can convert this acceleration to lower laptimes, but I am sure that my Car in better hands would be uncatchable. I also have zero heat issues, and only burn 2300mah in a 6minute main when I gear the Car at 8.4fdr. If a tc4 can , the A700 should do better ! Belt Cars with 3.5t motors overheat easily though, and will burn through a 6000mah pack in 6Minutes, without being able to accelerate like the A700... Watching the videos, Freddy gets left in the dust when he takes the short straight, while it should be the other way around ! I also watched John Ducakis's race in greece, and he clearly out accelerates his competition after each turn on a bigger track with less traction... So what's holding the A700 back ??? Probably too many racers following belt Car gearing guides !!!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Cool

THE AWESOMATIX A700 HAS ALOT MORE POTENTIAL FOLKS!
GET IT TOGETHER FREDDY ! YOU REPRESENT THE WHOLE WORLD OF SHAFT CAR RACERS !!!!!! YOU DON'T WANT TO PISS OFF THE RUSSIAN'S ....LOL......
Old 04-16-2012, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FreddySudhoff

Freddy
Congrats Freddy !

And by the way, regarding the torques steer talk , A while back Freddie told me to run thicker gear diff oil ( I was running 1000 cst ) because on hard acceleration the car would pull a bit which looked and felt like torque steer. I just want to say thank you, you were right, going to 1500 CST solved that completely. ( on carpet )

I too am in need of some help finding a good setup on asphalt for the Reedy race. Our weather here in Seattle probably isn't going to cooperate so I'll likely get little time on asphalt, let alone high grip asphalt which is what NorCal will have. Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Jake D.

Last edited by Magnet Top; 04-16-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
I too am in need of some help finding a good setup on asphalt for the Reedy race. Our weather here in Seattle probably isn't going to cooperate so I'll likely get little time on asphalt, let alone high grip asphalt which is what NorCal will have. Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Jake D.
Hey Jake,

I think my latest setup is getting close (note: I'm running transverse). For a pretty good longitudinal setup, see if ddd2k will share his setup. We both run modified by the way.

Ethan
Old 04-16-2012, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by erchn
Hey Jake,

I think my latest setup is getting close (note: I'm running transverse). For a pretty good longitudinal setup, see if ddd2k will share his setup. We both run modified by the way.

Ethan
Thanks ! ! I'm coming down for the club race the weekend before Reedy. I'm fairly certain I'll be running 13.5.

Jake
Old 04-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Freddy's car was deff awesome at ETS race once they got it working. He consistently had some of the fastest laps in Modified.

It was nice meeting you Freddy and also Mr. Oleg.

EA
Old 04-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Freddy's car was deff awesome at ETS race once they got it working. He consistently had some of the fastest laps in Modified.

It was nice meeting you Freddy and also Mr. Oleg.

EA
EA in poland? anyone got video of that? Had to check the results, not bad, am I looking at that right, about 95 racers in pro stock? and they run triple mains for ALL?
Old 04-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Team EAM

Yes I traveled over for the event. Results were not very good for me but their tracks are truly different than anything any US racer has ever been on here. Its a huge difference in just car setup and adjusting to track size, carpet type, driver stand height and of course racing on dots in every corner. It was a great event and I will go back first opportunity I have!

Triple mains for all mains were simply awesome! US racers do not know what they are missing!
Old 04-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Yes I traveled over for the event. Results were not very good for me but their tracks are truly different than anything any US racer has ever been on here. Its a huge difference in just car setup and adjusting to track size, carpet type, driver stand height and of course racing on dots in every corner. It was a great event and I will go back first opportunity I have!

Triple mains for all mains were simply awesome! US racers do not know what they are missing!
And they get it all done in 3 days! Perfect!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard
And they get it all done in 3 days! Perfect!!!
Yep. 1 hour of open practice each day, 4 rounds of practice by heat Friday, 5 qualifiers and triple A mains for all classes. Done by 7:30 Friday and Saturday and All mains done by 5 on Sunday.

EA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.