Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 4T in motor longititude layout

I just run my a700 in 4T transverse motor layout and it is prefect while a700 is the easiest vehicle to drive I ever try. Does anyone try 4T in logititude layout? Is the counter sink effect significant in high power motor?
Old 02-05-2012, 06:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You should read through the thread, there is no effect
Old 02-05-2012, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MDawson
Update - Snowbirds

Considering that it is my first big event with this car - I am happy with it. It is great to meet a lot of the folks that have been following this thread that wanted to get their hands on the A700. It has been a challenge not having a brain-trust of other drivers to bounce ideas off. The XRAY, TOP and AE guys do a great deal of sharing.

Car and driver are adapting well to the high-bite surface. The classes are uber-competitive with best carpet racers in the sport. The lap times are very very close and every hundredth of a second can mean a lot of positions in the overall qualifying. We still have 1 qual to go for tomorrow and currently sitting in the top 20 in both expert tc and non-boosted. Hopeful to move that in a positive direction.

I have found myself getting softer and softer with the car. The track is high-grip and dont expect it to get 'greasy' any time soon. My setup is going from spool/gear diffs to gear diff/diffs as the bite has increased. Making small changes now and focusing on clean runs.

I have really good power from ORCA and feel competitive. I am ready to race for another week!

http://rcactionpics.com/gallery/2012...rsday_205.html
It was a pleasure to meet you and thanks fot letting me take take a ton of pics yesterday
Old 02-05-2012, 06:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Drove one of these today, was really good Car has crazy free drivetrain, needed to add more drag brag than a conventional car!
Old 02-05-2012, 07:34 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3
Drove one of these today, was really good Car has crazy free drivetrain, needed to add more drag brag than a conventional car!
Now you can see what I've been banging on about
Old 02-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Question for Oleg,
when switchin from SB25X8 to SS3X4 on shock absorbers, how far in should i screw the set screw ?
Is some thread lock required ?

Thank You
Old 02-05-2012, 10:40 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ropezz
Question for Oleg,
when switchin from SB25X8 to SS3X4 on shock absorbers, how far in should i screw the set screw ?
Is some thread lock required ?

Thank You
The button head screw goes all the way ,until it is snug...not too tight .and the set screw only for to keep the dirt or dust out.. just the cover ...
Old 02-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by OVA
The button head screw goes all the way ,until it is snug...not too tight .and the set screw only for to keep the dirt or dust out.. just the cover ...
I have nothing to add to that.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by hana166
Ran the IAS today and it seemed to do what I hoped it would, which was to help stability into sweepers. In exchange for ease of handling I've given up a little corner speed. However, lap times are right on the money.

The car has the potential for insane speed if you really understand what you are doing, and have the ability to drive it within the window of the set up. It is not difficult to drive, not at all, but I think I realise its me holding the car back, not the other way around
hello,
just wanna know when u say that u've been givin' up a little corner speed is the car loose off power?
i also tried it and think that it's makin my car loose at highspeed corner running with Ride32 tires..

i was hoping to gain some middle and exit steering but not at corner entry off power..

thanks.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Tech Initiate

hello,

i need some advices to help me setup my car with the Ride32 tires high sidewalls
i use to drive with the sorex32 and 28 tires..with Tom Maquel setup handle nice now i really don't know wich way to go..

thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Tech Champion

So I had another good weekend with the A700... really starting to get clicked in with how to get the best from it, and my concerns about modified running have been blown out the water, which is nice.

Saturday, headed to the outdoor gas track. Wasn't feeling to bright to be honest, having had a heavy session the night before, and didn't sleep particularly well. Given I wanted to practice mod (given the upcoming TITC), I thought best just to take it slowly, so gave the 417 a run first to get my eye into the track, and get used to the power having only run blinky 13.5 recently.

Still, gave me the opportunity to check the setting of the A700, and whilst originally I was going to strap in a boosted 10.5 to build up to speed, than plan got blown out the window when the 10.5 refused to work... so straight in with the 4.5t. And actually, I don't know what I was worrying about!
Car felt really nice and easy to drive with the setup I had on the car, and seemed to be riding the bumps quite well. Would get a little loose if coming off power quickly, but could correct this, and the forward traction was just immense! Braking was very good too, which I was a little surprised as the traction wasn't so good in the track.
Now I didn't make too many changes, apart from softening the damper off a little. Really was struggling not feeling so well, and it was cold... so just concentrated on turning laps. One thing I did change was going to 3mm under the rear inner links, helped to make the car a little more stable throughout the corner. Then the rain came, and put paid to any more running, but overall I was happy with how it went.

Anyway, with the rain, Sunday I headed back to the indoor track to carry on running through different settings.
I started out with the car set-up the same way I had been before, with long links, reasonably stiff springs and dampers, low front roll centre, and roll bars. Running through my list, tried softer springs dampers (went slower), removing the roll bars (again went slower). Seems that with the long links, every time I tried to make the car a little softer, it would lose corner speed, and start to pitch around too much. One thing I did find interesting though was that adding the bulkhead flex screws back in did gain lap-time, going from a 12.5 to a 12.2. Maybe it was the car simply working the springs better, but the lap times don't lie.
Next on my list was to try out the shorter links. After a bit of phaffing, I made up a second set of top links just to making switching out easier if needed. On track.. big difference. Could instantly feel the car was more reactive, and rolling a lot less (as expected), but with an increase in grip too. I know now that the shocks weren't set right (now being too stiff), so I made some more alterations, basically softening off the springs and dampers again, and it all seemed to move in the right direction, getting a good consistent balance.
Part of my issues were with the bumps in the track, too soft, and it would be good over the bumps, but pitch too much into the corner. This is something I'm going to need to work on a bit harder (wondering if looking at the symmetric dampers again will help here to).

Anyway, I did try out Freddies settings at the end of the day, and I will say the balance felt good, but was too soft for the track. Given I was running out of time at that point, I simply moved the shocks and dampers out 2mm all round from his setting, and then found another 3/10ths of laptime... It's still not perfect, as the damping and spring rates aren't right IMO, and I want to get the roll bars back on the car for corner speed... but it's a move in the right direction for sure, and geometry wise I'll probably use that as the starting base setup for the TITC. Might need to run a little less rear droop to aid initial turn in, and possibly soften the rear a little to remove the slight oversteer tendancy in the high speed sweepers, so I'll add that to the list for testing next weekend, along with the IAS.

Apart from that, just need to improve my driving now!

Regards
Ed
Old 02-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Great test report. Maybe you can add the whole setup sheet :-)
Old 02-06-2012, 01:29 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by FreddySudhoff
Great test report. Maybe you can add the whole setup sheet :-)
Hi Freddy,

Setting attached.

Main differences between this and your warmup one...
  • Dampers/Springs are set harder, with 2.0mm F&R added to the A value.
  • Front damper is set up with Option II SRS/RHS, but if go to 0/1 (A/B) on that damper setting (now at 2/1) gives the same spring rate as Option I at 0/5.
  • Fully cut top deck (I haven't figured out how to re-glue it back together )
  • Different rear diff oil (Losi90 ~1200wt)
  • Didn't use the extra motor mount screws
  • Different Tyres (Sorex28's)

HiH
Ed
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
EC - RCI Practise 050212.pdf (238.5 KB, 277 views)
Old 02-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ok thanks! I think a big different thing is the surface. You drove on asphalt and I on carpet :P
Old 02-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miccal
Off topic, but that is one of the best looking bodies I have seen - any chance of some better pictures?
Keep checking the Snowbirds picture gallery. Sure to be a few more.

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
Hey Mark,

Sounds like fun in sunny Florida. Can't wait to see what setup you end up with. I hope you are able to document ( for yourself ) all the changes you make and how the traction changes throughout. I always regret not taking good notes for future reference. Best of luck, and btw, snazzy paint scheme. Really cool.

p.s. you have a pm

Cheers,

Jake D.
Hi Jake

Will have to put some note together. A lot to catch up on. There is still a long road to get a dialed setup together on carpet.

I started with something close to Freddys latest. As the bite increased - car pushed more. I was in the top 15 for most of qualifying. Slid down to 20th just before the mains. My finishing time in my main was equal to mid-pack in the A-main just the race after. The car was close. I have high expectations for car. With the only A700 at the Snowbirds it was a bit tough to compare notes but felt fast.

Post race - Sub-100 dampeners with the Jaco Blues feels too soft, too much chassis scrub. When the car pushes - change to Symmetric from Asymmetric fronts. Front DT - Spool was still faster than GearDiff with putty. Tried ball diff rear with 10wt oil vs. gear diff - thought ball diff rotated better and was easier to drive. If you break upper links with minor bumps - trying boiling parts for 8min. On carpet - thought the standard steering rack provided less initial steering than the IAS but had more corner speed. IAS was helpful to scrub speed and provide more steering in the higher technical areas of the track.

Originally Posted by dawgmeat
It was a pleasure to meet you and thanks fot letting me take take a ton of pics yesterday
Good to meet you as well. Anytime!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.