Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

John,
Your video+music is something mystical.
You are a real filmmaker!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oleg Babich
John,
Your video+music is something mystical.
You are a real filmmaker!
I do wish the video showed the shock action from the other side as well, showing the arm of the shock moving.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Doucakis
Here it is guys!
Enjoy it, hope you like it..

JD & RACING BLOG

I think I need therapy at this point...
because I just watched that freakin' video 3 times...
and I kinda want to watch again...

This will be my next car.

JD is officially the keeper of RC history
I can't wait to see this car all wired up...for one JD's famous picture sessions.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

@ Olhipster1
Thanks for the positive feedback.
I tried my best with this presentation as I have a real jewel in my hands.

@erchn
Actually you are quite right on your remark. I though this afterwords but was already 3am and too tired to remake the film.
In any case I will add more videos in the near future, showing some of the cool features of this car.

@Oleg
Thanks Oleg. Your aproval means a lot to me. I am glad I met your standards which judging by your product are pretty damn high!

@OVA
Thanks mate, tried my best.

@daleburr
Thank you for the good comments.
I also own a Ttech Predator. That had to be one of the biggest dissapointments. Such a shame as it had great potential but execution was below average. Don't know about the X11 edition but it seems it's no longer popular.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As always a great report John.
I think now it has been the tenth time I really had to resist the urge to order this car.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Negative:
*--- I received the kit for presentation purposes only but now I want to keep it and not return it so I'm in trouble!

made me laugh.. but i'm not surprised and can't blame you.. i would have felt the same thing.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Very professional indeed.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Tech Initiate

John,

I had, what I thought was a very good, photo story. How wrong was I!

Would it be okay to link your Photos! to a local web page we use in N.Ireland? If I didn't already own a A700, I would be ordering one now!

You managed to show what we have been talking about, in a very professional session, I would think that Oleg will Give you the Car after this :-) WELL DONE........

Last edited by MarkMcC; 01-14-2012 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Drunkness
Old 01-13-2012, 10:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default inline

More nimble with inline option, I like it!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:11 PM
Tech Champion

I've only 'broken' the edges and sanded the cf pieces but thats just how I intend to run the car.....if only for the simple fact that transverse has been the standard for years

Last edited by JayBee; 01-13-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So, unfortunately, my plan of two days of modified testing went out the window this morning when, sod's law, heavy rain arrived during the night despite it having been dry all week! Still, decided to make the most of the local indoor track, and spent a mammoth 12hours there, having run close to 25 packs through the car, got a much better understanding on what I need to do to get it to my liking. Still not quite 100%, but boy it's fast...

Anyway, started out with the setting's I had worked towards from last time, with a high front Roll centre, roll bars, and relatively soft springs and dampers. Car felt pretty good, managing to hit an 11.9 on the first run to give a good baseline to start from.
Second run, I wanted to give the asym damper option a try, as I hadn't yet had the opportunity too... anyway, felt a little calmer to drive, and improved the fastest lap to an 11.6, so suffice to say it was quicker!
Next few runs I played around with the springs and dampers again, before trying the roll-centre setup that Tom used in his GP3F setup (0/0.5 F, 0.5/0.5 R), plus most of the geometry to match.
Now, given the bumps on this track, I also kept the softer dampers and springs coupled to the softer roll bars, but matched the front and rear rates, and using the same roll bar F-R. Straight from the off there was noticeably more front end (as expected really!), with almost too good rotation middle to exit. Dropped the lap time down to an 11.3, but that was a one off, as I did find the more front end to more difficult to drive.
So again, next few runs were simply working through a range of spring and damper options, making large changes to see what worked best.. but by this time, the set of MuchMore36's I was running were starting to go off, so developing a mid-corner push. Did manage to match the 11.3's with a couple of runs, but no further improvements.
In an attempt to combat the mid-corner push, I then tried moving the cells back to the R2 (rearmost) position. This did negate the push... but also made the car rotate too much, and over-rate in the miiddle. I tried it for a couple of runs, mainly as I was forced to change the tyres over. Only suitable things I had in the box were some Sorex32's, with a Hara Grey insert. From previous testing, these aren't ideal for this track, with the insert being a bit too hard.
Still, straight off the bat, way way way more steering, so much so the rear just couldn't keep up and was sliding around too much. So cells back to R1, and a harder roll bar on the front were the next few options.

Still felt like the car was pitching too much on entry, so next on the agenda was removing a little more droop (which helped), and then started playing with the rear wheelbase. Now this proved to be quite a powerful tool to help lock the rear end in mid corner. Going from 9° of rear castor to just over 2° (lengthening the wheelbase) reduced the rotation in the middle again as expected, and just generally helped to make the car more stable.

Now, despite all this, I would still on occasion have an issue with the front being too reactive with the matching damper/spring setup, so then moved the front damping rate up a little, but keeping the springs the same... and that was right on the money. Now, I only moved the damper out 0.2mm (and didn't change the spring either), but straight away noticed the change on track. The hard breaking sections were less snappy, and I had more confidence to push the car through the high-speed chicane... result of dropping the fast lap down to an 11.1, and managed a few of them as well.

Only real issue left un-resolved was occasional willingness to flip mid-corner. Now I ran out of time (how, given 12hours, I have no idea ) to sort it, but I think it's due to slightly stiffer spring rate, and pitching over the outside of the tyres.

Overall, I'm just becoming more and more impressed with this car.. it does require a different driving style, as it is very direct and positive on the front, but even when setup right, it is still possible to drive round pretty sharpish!
Also, I'll admit, did have a few big hits today, two of which I am sure would have broken my 417... but (almost) not a scratch on the A700! Only reliability issues I had were an upper ball joint falling apart after a big hit, and the spur nut fell off leaving no drive, and that was it! Impressive for sure.

Anyway, I've attached the final setup, anyone with questions just let me know!

HiH
Ed
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
EC - RCI second run - 140112.pdf (347.6 KB, 313 views)
Old 01-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MarkMcC
John,

I had, what I thought was a very good, photo story. How wrong was I!

Would it be okay to link your Photos! to a local web page we use in N.Ireland? If I didn't already own a A700, I would be ordering one now!

You managed to show what we have been talking about, in a very professional session, I would think that Oleg will Give you the Car after this :-) WELL DONE........
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the nice comments. You are welcome to use my photos. Only request is to mention the source...

John
Old 01-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Tech Champion

Wow! What an impressive day TryHard, thanks for that!
Old 01-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
Anyway, I've attached the final setup, anyone with questions just let me know!

HiH
Ed
12hrs . I am off to the track today and will be testing your setup along with another guys setup just to see if it suits me and if I can go quicker. We have the first big meet of the year (2012 Summer Nats) next week here in Sydney so I need the A700 to be on its awesome behavior
Old 01-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Default electronics installed

trying to speed up the chance of testing, today I installed the electronics.
Unfortunatelly weather forecast is rain and very cold, so first taste will be postponed to a later date.

as usual, a few more here:

JD & RACING BLOG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.