R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree22Likes

Old 03-12-2016, 04:43 PM   #9211
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielc3009 View Post
Could some please give me some advise about running the awesomatix on asphalt as I've never drive outside before.

What chassis do people use on asphalt? I've currently use a alloy chassis on my evo on carpet. I was thinking about putting the original carbon A700L chassis back on as it should flex more generating more grip.

I've heard the raceberry chassis was best on the A700L, but they're hard to find now. Would it be ok to use it on a evo with no top deck as the L always use a top deck?

Also would be a good idea to fit the gearbox covers when running outside to stop the gears getting damaged.

Thanks for your help
IMHO, One of the best things you can do to your A700 for asphalt is upgrade the original dampers to the D2 ( or newer dampers.) Also, the GD2 gear differential, if you don't have it already, is a nice upgrade as well. I believe the EVO2 came with both standard, but my memory is a bit fuzzy on that. 1000 cst is a good starting point.

As far as which chassis deck, its all dependent on the track conditions, tires, etc.

Jake
Old 03-13-2016, 04:21 PM   #9212
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default How to stop gear diff from leaking?

After every race day I notice that the oil has leaked out of the diff. It hasn't completely leaked out but enough that it appears as if half the oil is gone when I open the diff. I have tried replacing the o-rings, using green slime grease and Dow 55 on the o-rings and it still leaks. Is it normal for the diff to leak this much? Is there any other way to prevent leaks? Does the GD2 gear diff have this issue as well?
jdawg81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:06 PM   #9213
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg81 View Post
After every race day I notice that the oil has leaked out of the diff. It hasn't completely leaked out but enough that it appears as if half the oil is gone when I open the diff. I have tried replacing the o-rings, using green slime grease and Dow 55 on the o-rings and it still leaks. Is it normal for the diff to leak this much? Is there any other way to prevent leaks? Does the GD2 gear diff have this issue as well?

Here's where i would start....

Run heavier oil......but not as much. On carpet (new black crc) .9g of ae 7k. I've run anywhere from there up to 15k with absolutely zero leaking ussues. If you overfill the diff they will leak.....
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:58 PM   #9214
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Gd2 style leak less.
There is a lighter / heat method of bleeding gd2 diffs that is also recommended.
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:46 PM   #9215
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 302 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet Top View Post
IMHO, One of the best things you can do to your A700 for asphalt is upgrade the original dampers to the D2 ( or newer dampers.) Also, the GD2 gear differential, if you don't have it already, is a nice upgrade as well. I believe the EVO2 came with both standard, but my memory is a bit fuzzy on that. 1000 cst is a good starting point.

As far as which chassis deck, its all dependent on the track conditions, tires, etc.

Jake
I did the D2.1 dampers, and to be honest I'm back to the original ones. The D2.1 I can see the appeal but after a hit they bind up so the suspension arm doesn't drop back down after compressing without being pulled free and this just ruins handling. Has done it on 2 out of the 4 dampers now, can't see a reason why everything else is fine, the rod, leaf spring, spring holder, arm etc, change out the assembled damper and problem fixed, so just gave up for now. A bit miffed at flushing $100 us + down the toilet in doing the upgrade though.

Don't worry about what I'm doing.
Worry about why you're worried about what I'm doing.

"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity."

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:35 PM   #9216
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to nomaak

��
nomaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:55 PM   #9217
Tech Champion

...she's dead Jim!

Old 03-31-2016, 07:18 PM   #9218
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
I did the D2.1 dampers, and to be honest I'm back to the original ones. The D2.1 I can see the appeal but after a hit they bind up so the suspension arm doesn't drop back down after compressing without being pulled free and this just ruins handling. Has done it on 2 out of the 4 dampers now, can't see a reason why everything else is fine, the rod, leaf spring, spring holder, arm etc, change out the assembled damper and problem fixed, so just gave up for now. A bit miffed at flushing $100 us + down the toilet in doing the upgrade though.
You may need to use the Up-stop limiters. Commonly set to 15mm and ensure you have your dampers rotated for full travel.

( There are 4 damper vanes in 4 chambers in each individual damper. So movement is limited to 90 degrees. There isn't much room for error here, so if you are having odd issues, as you are, its probable that you need to use the unstop limiters and make sure you set each damper for maximum travel when securing the damper to the damper holder. )

Solutions :
1) Set the upstop to 15mm

2) Make sure you rotate the damper vane and damper body so SPR02 hits the back stop but also simultaneously allows full travel before tightening the clamping screw in the damper holder.

Best luck,

Jake

Last edited by Magnet Top; 04-01-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Magnet Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:28 AM   #9219
Tech Regular

Completely agreed with Jake. Once you get the new dampers properly aligned and use the up-stop limiters the D2+ will not bind. Also make sure you aren't cranking down on the AM17 too much; it doesn't take a lot for them to hold the damper cans in place. After upgrading several parts on an old Evo1 the new dampers yielded the most significant reduction in lap times for me, and just made the car more of a pleasure to drive. This was on a bumpy outdoor asphalt track though, perhaps they are less significant on a smoother surface.

Next best upgrade was the Raceberry chassis, but as you pointed out good luck finding one.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:43 PM   #9220
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Is the A700 discontinued, was trying to buy one from the use store and its sold out for a while. Also the international is sold out?
Old 04-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #9221
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloksatoor View Post
Is the A700 discontinued, was trying to buy one from the use store and its sold out for a while. Also the international is sold out?
All the 2015 shaft cars - a700l2, a700evo2 are still available..
And can be special ordered thru AwesomatixUSA.. Just put in a back order.. Its that simple
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:49 AM   #9222
Tech Champion

so being referred to as a past year car, and as back order, it's pretty obvious lol

No love for the A700, time to set up my T4

Old 04-12-2016, 05:34 AM   #9223
Tech Addict

I have a brand new EVO in the box if anyone is looking for one ready to ship!!!
🤓
https://www.facebook.com/ValkariaRcraceway/
chiefj48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #9224
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
so being referred to as a past year car, and as back order, it's pretty obvious lol

No love for the A700, time to set up my T4
Not entirely sure I understand this line of thinking. Don't mean to pick on you specifically Nexxus, I've just noticed this general consensus form since the A800 came out.

The A700 shares near all of the suspension parts with the A800, and every part that takes common wear is still available. Aside from people looking for brand new kits (which Mike H already addressed) I don't see anything keeping us from running the A700 successfully. I still run mine for stock spec classes. Unless I'm running mod, I still prefer the A700.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:13 AM   #9225
Tech Initiate

Ran my A700 EVO for the first time in a class faster than 21.5 boosted this past Sunday and the car is a beast. Could never get it to handle in 21.5, but in the 17.5 boosted class the car was unbelievable. Ran my A800 in 21.5 boosted and the car was in a class of its own. Fastest laps in every round. Cant wait to try the A800 with a 13.5 boosted system. Will never retire my A700 after this weekends racing.
NovakSA is offline   Reply With Quote