R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree13Likes

Old 02-28-2016, 02:28 PM   #9196
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardcano View Post
I have had quite the opposite experience with the A700. I had counted on initially having a large number of problems, since the car was such a departure from the chassis I have run for the last decade, and because I purchased my A700's used (which often means inheriting someone else's mistakes). While there were some problems, there were fewer than I usually have when running a new (to me) chassis. Now, after several months of running a pair of A700's, they are already at the point where I can race them, blow them off with the air compressor, and ignore them until the next race day. It took several years for me to get to that point with my previous cars.
I agree. To start with my A700 was a p.i.t.a to setup and work on being so different to any other car I've owned until I got used to it. I check the tweak after every hard crash as I run a alloy chassis over that that, the only problem I have with mine is the GD1 had a slow leak that I can't fix.

The big plus for me is that the d6 damper require no rebuilds as I hate rebuilding shocks.
danielc3009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #9197
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesRaven View Post
Now that it has been out for a little bit, I was curious if anyone has had a chance to run the RFG on asphalt with anything from 17.5 or faster. I'm considering it for my Evo 2 mainly because I'm fascinated at what it may do, but I'm afraid at worse it will just add another thing to maintain (or another thing to go wrong) without much gain in rear traction.
I ran it in 13.5 Blinky. I'm not sure I had enough experience with the base car to say either way. Although I did finish 2nd in our state titles with it.

It seems a bit more difficult than the ffg as there is not much movement and it's kind of hard to know how exactly to set it. Plus being right at the back, it's a bit tighter movement.
Schwarta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:02 PM   #9198
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 301 (100%+)

Quote:
I have had quite the opposite experience with the A700. I had counted on initially having a large number of problems, since the car was such a departure from the chassis I have run for the last decade, and because I purchased my A700's used (which often means inheriting someone else's mistakes). While there were some problems, there were fewer than I usually have when running a new (to me) chassis. Now, after several months of running a pair of A700's, they are already at the point where I can race them, blow them off with the air compressor, and ignore them until the next race day. It took several years for me to get to that point with my previous cars.
I can only wish for that, I only run 21.5 and I think with that class here at least you need a "tough" car because invariably you will either get cleaned up by a back marker or in my case just make a silly error and hit a non movable object.

Ran it again Sat night, car was fast, but got a DNF in 2nd qual (t boned by a lapped car, caused the rear left to bind up and then again in the 1st final, a collision with a slower car knocked the centre driveshaft out of the front socket.

When it was running it was great though. I just wish it was more durable! Reminds me of my old Corally RDX which broke if you hit a leaf or stray ant.

Fry crack corn and I don't care,
Leela crack corn, I still don't care,
Bender crack corn and he is great!
Take that you stupid corn!

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:29 PM   #9199
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That is exactly why I only run shaft cars: after several years sitting on a shelf, just blow off and go racing...Once you race with clean racers, you will never break...
My only issue is that I am constantly upgrading my cars...lol... I guess I read more Rctech posts than I race...lol...
Quote:
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:40 PM   #9200
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Your issue is that you never race, not that you're upgrading.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:06 PM   #9201
Tech Champion

My cars have to pass the BERT tests before I race...
BERT tests = constant upgrades...
I also race when I can take off from work on Sundays, like I did last summer at FBF (Brooklyn/NY)... I don't really like to go race out of state: less police brutality for me...lol....
Any videos of you racing Boomer ???
Old 02-29-2016, 09:39 PM   #9202
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

not lately, but some will come. Won't be in classes you care about though. anymore I do offroad and 1/12th. the sedan gets driven by the boy.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:09 PM   #9203
Tech Champion

Great... I know folks would like to see me race more than post here, but nothing beats applying the great ideas shared here to win on the track... I think alot of headaches can be avoided that way, and knowing you got a wealth of info here as backup always gives the confidence to improve performance on the track...
I got three more things(rear track bar bushings/front brakes/engine bearings) to sort out in my Jeep(BERT modded) in order to be able to make it to a local track... Cheers.....
Old 03-05-2016, 02:04 PM   #9204
Tech Initiate

Could some please give me some advise about running the awesomatix on asphalt as I've never drive outside before.

What chassis do people use on asphalt? I've currently use a alloy chassis on my evo on carpet. I was thinking about putting the original carbon A700L chassis back on as it should flex more generating more grip.

I've heard the raceberry chassis was best on the A700L, but they're hard to find now. Would it be ok to use it on a evo with no top deck as the L always use a top deck?

Also would be a good idea to fit the gearbox covers when running outside to stop the gears getting damaged.

Thanks for your help
danielc3009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:03 PM   #9205
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to nomaak

So I've hit Awesomatix USA up on FB about reactive front caster...they sent me here. What are your findings or is it even worth playing with? Looking for carpet settings both in the US and abroad. Thanks
nomaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:22 PM   #9206
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 301 (100%+)

For set up Q's the A800 thread may get more results, the suspension is the same and thats where all the cool kids with the shiny new cars hang out. The A700 has become the forgotten ugly twin sister.

Fry crack corn and I don't care,
Leela crack corn, I still don't care,
Bender crack corn and he is great!
Take that you stupid corn!

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:40 PM   #9207
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to nomaak

True! Lol
nomaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:06 AM   #9208
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
For set up Q's the A800 thread may get more results, the suspension is the same and thats where all the cool kids with the shiny new cars hang out. The A700 has become the forgotten ugly twin sister.
The A700 isn't forgotten by many of us, but we may not be cool, and some of us definitely aren't young.

The A800 may be the best thing that has happened to the A700! Now the A700 is very affordable used; I've expanded my fleet to three of them, for about what I would have paid for just one new chassis a couple of years ago. I'm looking forward to running them for the next ten years, just as I did with the chassis they are replacing.

Yes, questions on suspension setup will probably get more views on the A800 thread, and the answers will be applicable to both cars.
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #9209
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just wanted to let you guys know I still have a barely used A700 Evo for sale:

Awesomatix A700 Evo, full options like new!!

It has almost all the option parts
Old 03-12-2016, 04:07 PM   #9210
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

If anyone is interested in some of the floating front diff kits for the 700 I know someone who has 3-4 new in the package they are wanting to unload.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote