R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree22Likes

Old 10-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #8926
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Do composite gears make the GD1 diff a bit smoother versus just running two metal spider gears?
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:57 PM   #8927
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yes but they strip very easy and thats why everyone ran the metal gears. The gd2 with plastic gears is super smooth and they are very durable
Old 10-19-2015, 02:30 PM   #8928
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Do composite gears make the GD1 diff a bit smoother versus just running two metal spider gears?
If you don't want to buy a GD2. Composite gears are smoother definitely. Build the diff dry and shim the sun gears 0.1mm at a time until it locks up and back off a shim. I shimmed between the sun gear carrier and its bearing. I ended up with one side shimmed more than the other at perfect mesh. It was a bit of a process but afterwards I didn't strip any gears in Stock at all.
hana166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:45 PM   #8929
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

So after almost a very busy summer with no time to race I'm looking forward to carpet this fall/ winter. I have a RFG that I had ordered but never had time to install. What's the consensus on it? What are the benifits to carpet racing? Thanks
branover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:21 PM   #8930
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by branover View Post
So after almost a very busy summer with no time to race I'm looking forward to carpet this fall/ winter. I have a RFG that I had ordered but never had time to install. What's the consensus on it? What are the benifits to carpet racing? Thanks
I would've thought it would benefit asphalt racing more than carpet? Isn't it help promote rear grip. Unless you're racing on low grip carpet?
Schwarta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:39 PM   #8931
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarta View Post
I would've thought it would benefit asphalt racing more than carpet? Isn't it help promote rear grip. Unless you're racing on low grip carpet?
That it what I thought got as well, just never installed it since I hadn't had a chance to race asphalt since I got it. Really just wondering if it's even worth installing for carpet?
branover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:36 PM   #8932
Tech Addict

Quote:
That it what I thought got as well, just never installed it since I hadn't had a chance to race asphalt since I got it. Really just wondering if it's even worth installing for carpet?
Viljami's Kutvonen mod A700 Evo II car with RFG is faster and more easy to drive on his carpet track than without RFG.
Oleg Babich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:10 AM   #8933
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For all of us who just got the A700 'RFG', I think it should not be furstrating that the A800 was introduced.
It is a different approach and under certain circumstances it might provide an advantage, but in the end the RFG is still a very very good car.
I was very pleased with its behaviour on our ultra low traction, old asphalt surface, bumpy and slick.
Winning, TQing, lap record and best run proved that against very tough competition.
Just to put things into perspective, my main challenger is currently 4times consecutive National Champion, very talented, consistent and in recent tests he was on a few occasions faster than Alex Hagberg.

So be confident that the RFG works well, just built it carefully and correctly and it will deliver.

John
http://jdandracing.blogspot.com
John Doucakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:36 AM   #8934
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
I've run the RFG a few times on medium grip carpet, and my opinion is the car feels more forgiving and stable vs. the traditional solid bulkhead rear version of the car.
RC Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #8935
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Professor View Post
I've run the RFG a few times on medium grip carpet, and my opinion is the car feels more forgiving and stable vs. the traditional solid bulkhead rear version of the car.
I ran my RFG the first time,it works great with the low grip carpet
as the grip came up my car started to push...
thinking about taking the RFG out..
Old 10-25-2015, 09:21 AM   #8936
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It takes a few weeks or a few test sessions to get it figured out but once you do, I don't think you will go back. I found that the RFG does produce more traction and a more consistent car on the track under all surface levels. But you will have to change your setup to compensate for more rear grip.

I went to slighly less rear toe in, as for me the RFG helped the car accelerate harder and straigher out of corners. ( Running Mod )

In the rear I went to a bit more dampening, and spring then my non RFG setup. I found that the car became more stable then ever before.

I also raised my rear links by 1mm over where I had them with the stock rear end ( remember the RFG links sit lower already) so you will have to a bit of math to get a higher link.

Overall I think my A700 is the best it has been.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:47 AM   #8937
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korgae View Post
It takes a few weeks or a few test sessions to get it figured out but once you do, I don't think you will go back. I found that the RFG does produce more traction and a more consistent car on the track under all surface levels. But you will have to change your setup to compensate for more rear grip.

I went to slighly less rear toe in, as for me the RFG helped the car accelerate harder and straigher out of corners. ( Running Mod )

In the rear I went to a bit more dampening, and spring then my non RFG setup. I found that the car became more stable then ever before.

I also raised my rear links by 1mm over where I had them with the stock rear end ( remember the RFG links sit lower already) so you will have to a bit of math to get a higher link.

Overall I think my A700 is the best it has been.
yes The RFG produce more traction and stable , but it is still too much rear grip for my taste....yes I also went for more damping and spring in the rear as well..
Old 10-27-2015, 12:53 AM   #8938
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 302 (100%+)

Has anyone else bent a SPR02 or a SPR03?

...21.5 is brutal indeed!

Don't worry about what I'm doing.
Worry about why you're worried about what I'm doing.

"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity."

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:12 AM   #8939
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxus View Post

What the...!!?

I think you can bend the spr02 if you don't set the upstop correctly. Never heard of the spr03 bending. I believe you can bend the spr02 back as a temporary fix.

I've got some spare spr02's if you need them in a hurry.
Schwarta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:18 AM   #8940
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxus View Post

ST05L longer shock rods are useful against SPR02 bending.
Oleg Babich is offline   Reply With Quote