Old 08-18-2015, 07:03 PM   #8701
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarta View Post
What problems?
Battery fly out..
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:09 PM   #8702
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Any vids on the RFG yet?
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:17 PM   #8703
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry View Post
Any vids on the RFG yet?
the torque of my 17.5t hardly made the RFG move. you could see most movement around the bearing -- but the degree of movement is nothing like the FFG as the leverage point is so much smaller.

my mod setup will be worked on next week...
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
Old 08-18-2015, 11:28 PM   #8704
Tech Regular

This last weekend I was at my local indoor off-road track doing some testing and setup as I just got back into rc vehicles after a twelve year hiatus. This day had quite a few folks doing the same as me and working on getting their off-road cars dialed in for the weekly races, it also had a large group of touring cars as they had an outdoor race going on, asphalt in a parking lot. My last go with touring car was a very large indoor carpet track back in 2002-2003. It was fun seeing the new designs of the current generation tc.

Prior to the outdoor race getting started there was a group of guys pitted on the opposite side of the table from me and I overheard one of them mention his racing a TC3. I thought that was pretty cool and asked to see his chassis. He laughed as he pulled the car off the table, white body with a big TC3 sticker on the hood and lifts the body off to show the most insane chassis I have laid eyes on. He went on to explain it was a Russian designed chassis called the Awesomatix. He brought the car around the table to show it to me and all I could do was drool on the most anal retentive engineering geeks neurotic take on a modern tc car.

I have to say that there are few things that are built in this hobby that are not a rehash of something that has been done before and this car is one very rare exception. The attention to detail is beyond anything I have seen in all the years I have been around the hobby, it makes the first sightings of Serpent and Xray pale in comparison and those are some pretty special companies that elevated the hobby and the designs of the time by quite a bit.

A quite a few folks were teasing this individual over the cost of the Awesomatix and I had to laugh to myself as the cost seems fairly reasonable to me. Back in 2003 I threw my credit card at my TC3 and built just about the most expensive roller you could for back then, about $1,300.00 USD, and it does not even come close to the technology that is being offered in this Awesomatix. It did have a shaft drive and you either love them or hate them, at the time Losi was the major competition and the debate hasn't changed one bit in all those years. If you need to be sold on why this car is the one for you, the point of it has been totally missed and it was never going to make you the sponsored driver you were hoping for.

It has been a couple days since I laid eyes on this chassis and I can not get it out of my head, seriously considering ordering one to just place in a light box as a piece of art on my desk. I have zero desire to run asphalt and do not see any carpet tracks opening up anytime soon in my area.
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:23 AM   #8705
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

That was my car you were looking at. It was nice meeting you. I work as a quality engineer and always appreciate a well designed, high quality car.

Check out 209 Raceway in Stockton for carpet racing. There is a race on Sept. 27 I think. There are a few other local guys who run Awesomatix as well, they are much faster than me!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:12 AM   #8706
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrak View Post
I have to say that there are few things that are built in this hobby that are not a rehash of something that has been done before and this car is one very rare exception. The attention to detail is beyond anything I have seen in all the years I have been around the hobby, it makes the first sightings of Serpent and Xray pale in comparison and those are some pretty special companies that elevated the hobby and the designs of the time by quite a bit.
This was my reaction, too.

I took the plunge and finally got one, both to improve my race results and simply because gazing upon this chassis makes me happy. For me, the second point is more important than the first!
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:01 AM   #8707
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
This last weekend I was at my local indoor off-road track doing some testing and setup as I just got back into rc vehicles after a twelve year hiatus. This day had quite a few folks doing the same as me and working on getting their off-road cars dialed in for the weekly races, it also had a large group of touring cars as they had an outdoor race going on, asphalt in a parking lot. My last go with touring car was a very large indoor carpet track back in 2002-2003. It was fun seeing the new designs of the current generation tc.

Prior to the outdoor race getting started there was a group of guys pitted on the opposite side of the table from me and I overheard one of them mention his racing a TC3. I thought that was pretty cool and asked to see his chassis. He laughed as he pulled the car off the table, white body with a big TC3 sticker on the hood and lifts the body off to show the most insane chassis I have laid eyes on. He went on to explain it was a Russian designed chassis called the Awesomatix. He brought the car around the table to show it to me and all I could do was drool on the most anal retentive engineering geeks neurotic take on a modern tc car.

A quite a few folks were teasing this individual over the cost of the Awesomatix and I had to laugh to myself as the cost seems fairly reasonable to me. Back in 2003 I threw my credit card at my TC3 and built just about the most expensive roller you could for back then, about $1,300.00 USD, and it does not even come close to the technology that is being offered in this Awesomatix. It did have a shaft drive and you either love them or hate them, at the time Losi was the major competition and the debate hasn't changed one bit in all those years. If you need to be sold on why this car is the one for you, the point of it has been totally missed and it was never going to make you the sponsored driver you were hoping for.

It has been a couple days since I laid eyes on this chassis and I can not get it out of my head, seriously considering ordering one to just place in a light box as a piece of art on my desk. I have zero desire to run asphalt and do not see any carpet tracks opening up anytime soon in my area.
209 Raceway in Stockton will be opening for the Carpet season. Just like the old days of racing at Stockton R/C.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:37 PM   #8708
Tech Regular

Quote:
all I could do was drool on the most anal retentive engineering geeks neurotic take on a modern tc car.
Nailed it. I had exactly the same reaction when I saw a video of the suspension, and then even more so when I saw it in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardcano View Post
and simply because gazing upon this chassis makes me happy.
Cool, so I'm not the only one that stares at this thing on the bench with a constant big goofy grin on my face?
Old 08-19-2015, 07:32 PM   #8709
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
That was my car you were looking at. It was nice meeting you. I work as a quality engineer and always appreciate a well designed, high quality car.
Check out 209 Raceway in Stockton for carpet racing. There is a race on Sept. 27 I think. There are a few other local guys who run Awesomatix as well, they are much faster than me![/QUOTE]

I am so glad I piped up and asked about your "TC3", I might never have learned of this awesome chassis. I will catch you next month and take a closer look at your chassis, bad ideas are forming in my head and getting to run some carpet sounds enticing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil View Post
209 Raceway in Stockton will be opening for the Carpet season. Just like the old days of racing at Stockton R/C.
Hi Art, it was very good to see you after over a decade away from the sport. In all the time I ran out at Gilroy, you were always one of the best examples of a good ambassador of this hobby, glad you are still enjoying the sport. Crazy to see your son has grown and is still racing by your side, pretty cool. I am seriously considering building up a chassis and hitting Stockton once I get comfy getting a setup to run well. Do you know if this new track is a permanent one or just another temporary track at the fairgrounds?

Having spent some time on the Awesomatix website, I see they actually several layouts for their chassis and curious what the better option is for carpet racing? What are the mandatory spare parts that should be ordered along with a chassis kit? I am always kitted out with spares before I step into racing a class, produces less frustration when crap happens and something brakes. I appreciate any advice you folks may have that are running this chassis.
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:57 PM   #8710
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:

I recently came back from a decade break as well, and have to say I had a very similar experience, I also had a TC-3 back in the day and have always been partial to shaft drive. Last time i was involved in RC I didn't have the means to have the latest and greatest (high school student on a gas station wage), and even first coming back to the hobby i thought i would do it on the cheap. that lasted one race night when i laid eyes on Blake's awesomatix. Needless to say 6 months later I have 3, i will say it takes a bit to pick up the "awesomatix jargon" people throwing out part numbers and upgrades and the different options, with that being said i have never enjoyed the hobby as much as i am now. my advice is if you can afford it, go for it, you wont be disappointed and also the on-line support is un-matched.

Doug Smith

Doug Smith

RC America - X-ray - Hudy - Motive
doug smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:20 PM   #8711
Tech Champion

Fasttrack - the evo 2 is the hot car. Works indoors and outdoors as the chassis stiffness can be adjusted. I posted a link to parts the other day here -- points to racerlog.com. check it out...
Old 08-19-2015, 11:58 PM   #8712
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 302 (100%+)

What would I need to upgrade my Evo to Evo 2? I have done the MM2, I know shocks are a major one, what else? Also for outdoor asphalt, CF chassis not alloy I take it? (as with other TC's) Also got told not to run sway bars? But on the plus side shimmed everything up last night, no driveshaft play and R1 21.5 is in geared 31/60

Don't worry about what I'm doing.
Worry about why you're worried about what I'm doing.

"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity."

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:06 AM   #8713
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Can anyone tell me the benifit of using larger holes and thicker oil in the d2.1 shocks?
The thicker oil would help with the shocks not leaking?

Thanks
Gtr r34 m-spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:51 AM   #8714
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
What would I need to upgrade my Evo to Evo 2? I have done the MM2, I know shocks are a major one, what else? Also for outdoor asphalt, CF chassis not alloy I take it? (as with other TC's) Also got told not to run sway bars? But on the plus side shimmed everything up last night, no driveshaft play and R1 21.5 is in geared 31/60
Dampers - 4x
Mm2
Chassis set -- chassis + brace

Amtx USA recommends the alloy chassis indoors and ouf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtr r34 m-spec View Post
Can anyone tell me the benifit of using larger holes and thicker oil in the d2.1 shocks?

Thanks
Its not a leaking solution. Dow and other grease hell that

Big holes and thick oil help the car to handle bumps better...
Old 08-20-2015, 05:49 AM   #8715
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtr r34 m-spec View Post

Thanks
I've found that 1.45mm holes with Asc 5k works best for bumpy conditions. I've run this dampener set up on both asphalt and carpet (not crc).

Monti
Monti is offline   Reply With Quote