Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 03:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Subliminal
I second the thanks to Oleg, I love the car and only just started to explore its potential.

Im not familiar with the set up you ended with but did you run with Roll Bars in the end ??
Didn't have time to experiment, all I did was soften the rear to kill the initial exit oversteer, which worked. I'm going to work on spring tension and damping first, then look at the ackermann and link lengths, then repeat the process over and over on different size tracks until I've got the default setting I need.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:32 AM
Tech Master

His car was great but I must say it was too noisy LOL
Old 11-16-2011, 04:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by yokemad
His car was great but I must say it was too noisy LOL
Noisy ?? strange casemine not make more noise than an other TC. I applied a little geargrease on the spool and geardiff from durango. Not noisy at all

regards Tom
Old 11-16-2011, 05:06 AM
Tech Master

Told him to apply some grease it was like a sound of Hummer drill that might be because he was using normal belt drive style motor mount...
Old 11-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MarkMcC
Guys

Does anyone one happen to have the turnbuckle lengths to hand? I want to order up some Lunsford items today at work and thought the lengths were in the manual.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.
Long AT25 are 39mm length, so 1 1/2" Ti turnbuckles are OK.
Short AT14 are 27,5mm.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Oleg Babich
Long AT25 are 39mm length, so 1 1/2" Ti turnbuckles are OK.
Short AT14 are 27,5mm.
Thanks Oleg.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:59 AM
Tech Adept

Now shop.awesomatix.com have images of all A700 parts.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Despite they are very high quality Part prices are very reasonable: )
Old 11-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yokemad
Despite they are very high quality Part prices are very reasonable: )
My pit bag is much lighter now. The cost of entry is higher but I expect total cost of ownership to be less than the 3 other premium priced kits.

Coming from my 417 I was enable to remove spares such as:

• Caster blocks
  • Hubs
  • Spare shocks
  • Complete spring sets
  • Shock oils
  • Complete sets of suspension blocks A-E series and X-series
Old 11-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Tech Addict

Default link lengths?

OK thinking out loud here but..

Most set ups I found used really long links, even longer than than the wishbone.

However, with conventional TC's I found shorter links gave more response, and mid corner grip on most occasions, and I could go faster provided I was able to handle the increased response.

So far I'm thinking to try out the second shortest link length, the car is very smooth (and fast!) but would like perhaps a little more aggression to hold tight lines and corner speed.

This winter we have some good carpet meetings where the grip goes up dramatically and traction roll becomes an issue.

This car allows for links longer than anything else out there. Is this what the team drivers are using to take away bite and response (and traction roll) at big meetings when the grip comes up really high?

Really interested to hear opinions about this, pros and cons..
Old 11-17-2011, 03:23 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Old 11-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Tech Addict

Tried the short links, good initial response then massive push so that didn't work. Went to the long link as per Laptev set up position 4(I started at Steen basic carpet length pos 3) and was a massive improvement but TBH the feeling is not good for me yet. Still the laptime is very, very fast. Fastest today.

I need to spend time to understand the damping and spring rates, I think this is the secret..when the feeling is good I am sure the car will be incredible.

Interesting that Anti Roll Bars are not used.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Had an 8 hour practice/test session with the A700. Close to having a good starting setup for technical/high bite carpet. My laptimes were on par with my 417 at that same track/layout from weeks previous. Surprised that the learning is as quick as it is. The car is very responsive to small changes. H

Took the car through the following changes:
  • With/without flex screws
  • Asy/Sym dampening
  • SRS I/SRS II
  • Long/short links
  • Long wheelbase/short wheelbase
  • With/without sway bars
  • Less/more droop
  • Body changes - LTCR v. P37
  • Spool/Gear Diff (putty vs. 500K) front, gear diff rear
Will run the final setup this weekend. Should have a setup to share. My preferences are in bold above.

Notes:
  • Wear on 'S' Bushings
  • Learning to drive a shaft car - corner entry/scrubbing speed, will have to play with drag brake
  • Gearing - carry 'more' gear
  • No durability issues. Had a few glancing shots off of the click-track but didnt take anything out of the setup or settings
  • Did not change motor package, battery location, tires (Jaco Blues). My guess is that the Jaco Blue is somewhere in the middle of the in terms of traction between Solaris Medium and Sweep 32. Sauce SXT
Questions for Oleg
  • Any feedback on the performance difference of using clips v. round v. square bushings?
  • Any feedback from the team drivers about increasing spacers under the front arm P03 mounts? Looking for feedback on increasing the front roll center. Does the car behave consistently with a more balanced rollcenter placement?
Old 11-19-2011, 02:29 AM
Tech Addict

I'd like to try bars next in combination with softer suspension..I'll get a much needed test day on December 11.

Would like very much to try exactly the options you just went through.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hana166
I'd like to try bars next in combination with softer suspension..I'll get a much needed test day on December 11.

Would like very much to try exactly the options you just went through.
Like most other kits, there are certain trends that you see in the setups that sometimes dictates characteristics like common springs, roll centers, camber positions and bodies.... I think it is early in this cars life to see those trends.

In most of the setups I am not seeing a lot of variation in any use of sway bars or big roll centers changes. As the only A700 I have seen in person is Steens it is hard to get perspective on what a good behaving A700 looks like. Steens car looked phenomenal. I have watched a few really good drivers take my car out for a test drive. In the hands of other, all things relative of course - the car looks really aggressive (good!), reactive and nimble.

It will be good once we see more owners provide feedback on their experiences.

Many of the characteristics that I liked in other cars are starting to show up well in this car. They aren't transferable in specific measurements, geometries or quantities - but they can get worked into the unique ways that the car reproduces the performance in its own implementation.

+++++ A tip that I picked up from the guys that used run the Alex Baracuda sedan - use White Lightning Clean or Finish Line Ceramic Wax Lube on the input/ring gears. Reduces friction, noise and makes the drivetrain really smooth. Apply thin coat, let dry and reapply. Race/practice with the car and reapply. It doesnt need a lot.

Last edited by MDawson; 11-19-2011 at 09:15 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.