R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree13Likes

Old 08-11-2015, 11:12 AM   #8656
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesRaven View Post
Any idea when you may get more AT12s back in stock?

Also, what was updated with the FFG1.2? And are there any plans on offering the updated parts to update the FFG1.1 to the 1.2?
AT12 -- we can probably dig one up. most replace with AT12M

FFG1.1 to 1.2 parts are in stock, but not in the store. give us a few minutes...
AwesomatixUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #8657
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomatixUSA View Post
AT12 -- we can probably dig one up. most replace with AT12M

FFG1.1 to 1.2 parts are in stock, but not in the store. give us a few minutes...
The store speaks! Sweet

I have the AT12M, but prefer the AT12 because I can get it in and out a lot faster and easier with the TT01 tranny tool because how thin it is. Also, I think the lower rotating mass is preferable for the stock classes I run. I'm about to make an order today, so if you could add one to the inventory I'd really appreciate it.

Have any inside info on the 1.2 changes? I haven't read or seen anything on the 1.2 yet.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:25 AM   #8658
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to E-BUSS
Default SD2

Hi All,

Are most people using the spur gear damper in modified only or is this something you'd consider using in 17.5 non-timing as well?

Thanks!
www.rcgears.net
E-BUSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:15 PM   #8659
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Just placed my first order with Awesomatix USA yesterday. Got my tracking number today so hopefully I will have some parts in time for this weekends racing.
waltss2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #8660
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesRaven View Post
Have any inside info on the 1.2 changes? I haven't read or seen anything on the 1.2 yet.
the changes are in the "unused" whole positions in the FFG. i.e. not a necessary update. some people 'have to' have the latest/greatest. if you have those "problems", ok -- but otherwise there is no performance advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-BUSS View Post
Are most people using the spur gear damper in modified only or is this something you'd consider using in 17.5 non-timing as well?
SD2 is for modified. It replaced the SD1. TBD how effective/necessary the SD2 will be with the RFG.
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:52 PM   #8661
Tech Master

Eddie, You take out a second mortgage and get new car?
Old 08-12-2015, 05:55 AM   #8662
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 301 (100%+)

...really struggling with a bit of information overload here. I have the A700 Evo, and am running it in 21.5 Blinky, on a large outdoor asphalt track (avg laptime for 21.5 is 20-21 seconds) If you want a visual of it you can see it all here www.wcmrc.asn.au

Grip is low - medium as there is a clay offroad track in the same complex and a lot of the fine clay dust is blown onto the asphalt track. I have put the top and bottom diff covers on the diffs being outdoor asphalt but it seems to hamper the FFG movement a bit?

Sway bars I only have one brown and one black, not sure where to go from there. I am going to order the new motor mount just as I prefer the slider sort of mounts anyway (like in my Tekno and S811) and probably the feeler guage and some basic spares. Set up wise there seems to be a more carpet focus with most of the stuff out there, I know the chassis I have is the std CF one, Electrics are BLS551, Tekin RS and R1 Wurks motor. If it helps I have attached a set up of my T4 2015 which I have been running in 21.5 but will now be using in 13.5, and am sort of looking for some sort of rough starting point based on that. Also what spurs fit? I read some need heatshrink or something to work? Spur damper kits needing bushings etc, at the moment I was just going to change the 12mm nut to the clamping one to make life a bit easier?

..kind of lost!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EPSON007.PDF (127.8 KB, 61 views)

Fry crack corn and I don't care,
Leela crack corn, I still don't care,
Bender crack corn and he is great!
Take that you stupid corn!

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:40 AM   #8663
Tech Champion

Looking further none of the I guess you'd call them camber link posts on my car seem to correlate to any of the set up sheets I have seen, most show 4 options for front and 5 for rear, I can't see how that is possible?

And I see a lot of talk about Raceberry chassis etc? How do I tell which one I have?
Attached Thumbnails
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)-img_3385.jpg   Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)-img_3386.jpg   Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)-img_3387.jpg  

Old 08-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #8664
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
I have put the top and bottom diff covers on the diffs being outdoor asphalt but it seems to hamper the FFG movement a bit?
The gear covers have a small flat rectangle protrusion that rides on the chassis. You probably need to shave this down slightly to get smooth movement.

Quote:
Sway bars I only have one brown and one black, not sure where to go from there.
I hope you have a set of digital calipers, because they are pretty much required for this car. At the very least they make life a lot easer. Awesomatix went through a couple different ways to identify their sway bars, so I just measure the thickness so I can more easily share setup with others. They generally range from 1.0 - 1.4 mm thick. On low traction, you will want to stick with the smaller bars, or none. With low traction I will often remove my rear sway bar.

Quote:
I am going to order the new motor mount just as I prefer the slider sort of mounts anyway
I really like the MM2 over the original, this is a good move. It's SO much easier to set the mesh, plus gives you more adjustability with its different flex modes. Here are instructions for building and setting the flex. I would recommend mode 3 to start with. You probably want to pick up a pack of SH3X5X0.1 because I don't think the MM2 comes with them (at least the last one I ordered didn't).

Quote:
Also what spurs fit?
Most standard spurs with the inner ball holes fit well, but I would recommend the Xenon VSS spur, which Awesomatix USA carries.

Quote:
Spur damper kits needing bushings etc, at the moment I was just going to change the 12mm nut to the clamping one to make life a bit easier?
You definitely don't need the spur damper running 21.5. As a few others have confirmed, this is really only for mod motors. I would recommend sticking with the solid unit.

The 12mm (AT12) nut is a preference thing in my opinion. I personally have a harder time getting the round thicker AT12M in through the AM40 plate, and then getting my fingers in there to find the threads and screw it down, but most others prefer it over needing a wrench for the AT12. Although the standard AT12 has a chance of backing off if you don't tighten it well enough. So there are definitely advantages to the AT12M if you don't have trouble installing it.

Last edited by WesRaven; 08-12-2015 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Added more info on the MM2
WesRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:43 PM   #8665
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to twk-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-BUSS View Post
Hi All,

Thanks!
Do it, or youll burn though spurs. really rodeo it up with 48P, Mah told me to!

-b
twk-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:48 PM   #8666
Tech Champion

Thanks for the reply Wes, gives me a good starting point as far as placing an order goes, still very unclear on this flex thing (mm2 instructions seem to be missing a bit which shows what does what?) and even a starting asphalt set up (seems the instructions is carpet orientated) or why my camberlink locations seem different?

Old 08-13-2015, 12:02 AM   #8667
Tech Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Wes, gives me a good starting point as far as placing an order goes, still very unclear on this flex thing (mm2 instructions seem to be missing a bit which shows what does what?) and even a starting asphalt set up (seems the instructions is carpet orientated) or why my camberlink locations seem different?
No problem, I was pretty bewildered by the same things at first.

Regarding the MM2 flex modes; Basically Mode 1 has the most flex, and Mode 4 is the stiffest. I have found in general more flex is good for low traction scenarios, but you'll need to experiment with it to see what suits your situation the best. I believe you will be limited to what modes you can run with the older carbon chassis unless you drill a couple holes (don't quote me on this, haven't done it). I wouldn't worry too much about this setting though since its far more subtle than the other things you will need to worry about first I would recommend mode 3 to start with mainly because I feel it has the best balance overall.

Regarding starting setups, that's a tough one. There really is no great "box stock" generic setup for this car that works well overall. I have found the setups to be extremely driver style and track dependent, and have yet to be able to drop someone else's setup in my car and have it work well without some tinkering.

What I would recommend is going to Awesomatix USA setup sheets, sort by Asphalt, and start trying setups. PetitRC is also a great place for setups. Just look for your car type and track type. Once you find something that makes your car drive somewhat close to what you're looking for you can start fine tuning from that point on. As you try different setups, take note of the drivers, you may find someone's style that's close to your own. I personally tend to gravitate around Mike Gee and Kyle Bergstrom's setups.

I attached a diagram I threw together in Paint that should help show where the settings on the setup sheet correspond to on the car. Some holes (like number 4 on the front) are only possible with optional parts that give more adjustment. Pretty much everyone I have seen runs the shorter links and holes nearest the wheels, so it looks like you're already setup good there.

Quote:
And I see a lot of talk about Raceberry chassis etc? How do I tell which one I have?
That looks like the original carbon chassis. The Raceberry has an open section under the motor and battery, and rounded flex points instead of the slots.

One last thing while I'm thinking about it. If you don't have them already, you will probably want to pick up some caster doodles. While adjusting your camber you will inevitably throw off your caster, so these are pretty much a must have.
Attached Thumbnails
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)-evo1camberlinks.jpg  

Last edited by WesRaven; 08-13-2015 at 12:25 AM.
WesRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:04 AM   #8668
Tech Champion

Ok thanks for the replies, just did an order with the phillipines? store, hope they don't take ages to process an order like some stores I have used. I think I have the caster doodad things from my old integy set up station somewhere.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:13 AM   #8669
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Ok thanks for the replies, just did an order with the phillipines? store, hope they don't take ages to process an order like some stores I have used. I think I have the caster doodad things from my old integy set up station somewhere.
The Caster Doodle is a product specific to the Awesomatix. Although there are alternative ways to measure caster, this is certainly the most simple

http://shop.awesomatixusa.com/caster...scription=true
Old 08-14-2015, 05:42 AM   #8670
Tech Apprentice

RFG is here!
http://www.awesomatixusa.com/2015/08...as-landed.html
AwesomatixUSA is offline   Reply With Quote