07-29-2014, 10:22 PM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Originally Posted by daktulos
Hi, I just bought for a fare price an used A700 from one of the first generation (produced mid 2012 I think).
I have a few questions...
- is the rear toe link position (shorter) on the AM19 really affect the handling or no or if adjusted accordingly is about the same?
It may be more difficult to keep bump toe from occurring on the older version due to the shorter links as caster dynamically changes. If the links are short bump toe will change at a faster rate
- is the lower deck behavior comparable to the EX/EXL, best outside or inside?
Except for two differences the original lower deck is identical in shape and thickness to the EX/EXL. The original does not have a .5mm counter bore ( reducing chassis thickness to 2.5mm ) for the lower AT21 ball to sit lower. This counter bore allows a lower roll center. ( Add AT21S and it is .5mm lower so this combination is good if you want to lower your roll center 1mm ) Also, the EX/EXL chassis has cuts that increase flex. I noticed a difference, in my opinion the slight bit of added flex allowed the car to maintain better traction on all surfaces
- this car was probably never updated with the newer plastic parts example P18/19 vs P01/02. Is other parts need to be changed to be reliable? AM23?
There was a running change to ST16 that resulted in a significant increase in durability of the front and rear "CV" joints. If your axles were not rebuilt in the last year and a half , it would be good to change these.
- from what I understand everything is the same geometry just less link positions on the AM01 vs the AM01-1...?
I believe it was only the inner rear toe link position. I didn't notice any other changes
- Are the #3 damper usable in normal weather? I will change the OR07 to be certain. Are they working well with the soft spring?
I haven't tested the #3 dampers nearly enough to have on opinion.
( edit : looks like MDawson and I were both typing out responses at the same time ! LOL , and used the same format too ! )
See my thoughts in Red above.
For sure, start using P01-P02 asap !
AWESOMATIX -- ORCA -- GRAVITY R/C -- SEATTLE R/C RACERS
Last edited by Magnet Top; 07-29-2014 at 10:37 PM.