Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 01:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default first impression

Just like to share about the new car. Main overwhelming impression is a great deal more initial steering, both into and on exit, with less midcorner. Good reaction but slower laptime. After putting identical setups on both old and new cars I traced it down to the flex cuts on the baseplate. Amazed it makes that big a difference. Put an uncut top deck on and the car was transformed. Similar to the original car with a heavily cut top deck, it restored the laptime.

Can't believe I actually stiffened a car..in the past I thought more flex=more traction=easier handling, but gained rear traction and confidence from stiffening the car. It seems there exists a correct amount of flex for a given set up and track condition. Car is fastest when it floats on the top of the carpet, not in it, except for the apex where you need the sidebite.

The flex cuts might be an asset particularly on low traction asphalt (UK) because there will be both more turn in, and rear stability in sweepers. Think I can see the logic of the changes, the 'flex window' is just where it needs to be for various conditions. Well anyway that's what I understand from it..

Well done to the team
Old 11-14-2012, 01:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Congratulations to Jake Danilchik!!!

Jake took TQ and won the 4th Annual Time Zone II Grand Prix (Stock touring division).

His setup is here: http://awesomatix.com/download/

Last edited by Oleg Babich; 11-15-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hey hana166,

yes, you're right. We had the previous season sometimes a problem on low grip tracks, most time asphalt. With this new flex options we are able to get more mechanical traction into the car. But we are also able to use the stiffener to get the hard settings for high grip.

I always use a only in front cutted topdeck and set the flex setting with the chassis options. You can also try to use stiffeners only in rear, or only in front. Front softer/ rear harder you will get mor bite and slightly less rear traction. This is on high grip carpet really good.
Front harder/ rear softer will be less bite, but a lot rear traction.

A lot to test and suitable for all tracks.

Regards,
Freddy
Old 11-14-2012, 01:55 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for your response Freddy. At least I know I am thinking in the correct way.

Yes, lots to test
Old 11-14-2012, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

To clarify , I won the Stock touring division with the Awesomatix A700L at the TimeZone II Grand Prix.

Thank you Oleg, you've made a great car even better! The A700L was great especially only having had it for a short time before this race. It will only become better as I have more time finding the sweet spot for my driving style. The adjustability of this chassis is one of its greatest assets. It will be a lot of fun exploring the possibilities going forward.

Please enjoy a video of my Top Qualifying run. The car was easy to drive and very precise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KzeF16o-qs

Jake Danilchik
Attached Thumbnails Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)-img_1548_2.jpg  

Last edited by Magnet Top; 11-14-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Tech Addict

In A2 You were losing power towards the end and changed your lines to defensive lines infield. Under really a lot of pressure. Great driving in the final man, congrats!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hana166
In A2 You were losing power towards the end and changed your lines to defensive lines infield. Under really a lot of pressure. Great driving in the final man, congrats!
Hana,

Thank you. I had some issues with tire preparation that led to slippery handling for the first few laps in the three mains. The car was very very good , but I didn't want to change my tire prep routine from qualifying. In retrospect I should have gone with new tires for the mains ... but it all turned out OK In A1 my tires caused me to let the second qualifier by on the first lap before my tires could "come in" and then I was spun out on the second lap by third place , then made a mistake trying to catch back up. So I had to win both A2 and A3 to secure the victory. Knowing my tires needed more laps to come in A2 I ran extra laps in the warmup but my motor faded sooner than normal which is what you saw. In A3 I didn't want to experience the same motor fade but I had to fend off second place early until the tires would come in. I took that risk. I did drive defensively but I'll admit some nerves sank in and my lines suffered in A3. The orange and white car of Devin Patterson is one of the best stock drivers in the country nearly winning the 17.5 stock Reedy Race last year and I believe was second at the Nationals two years ago as well. A top notch driver and great to race with.
It was a fun time for sure. Thanks again.

Jake Danilchik
Old 11-14-2012, 04:29 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

nice run Jake..
Old 11-14-2012, 11:37 PM
Tech Rookie

I use to run the old A700 with transverse layout. Now the new A700 with longitudinal layout and the torque steering is significant especially on the less bite asphalt. I go thru the threads that old A700 torque steering is not obvious, would the new cut A700 chassis sensitive to the torque steering?
Now, planning to go back transverse layout.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Good job Jake!

@ tinngsmile

Yes, the chassis with slots will be much easier to drive on low grip tracks with both, north/ south or west/ east layout.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi,

I drive the old A700 Car here in Germany in
the 17,5 Turn Lrp Hpi Challenge West and i was 9 Seconds faster with
this Car. Is so Awesome to drive this Car.

Sorry for my bad English

Greets Dirk
Old 11-15-2012, 07:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi Dirk,

can you give us your setup for 17,5T?
Old 11-15-2012, 08:10 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tinngsmile
I use to run the old A700 with transverse layout. Now the new A700 with longitudinal layout and the torque steering is significant especially on the less bite asphalt. I go thru the threads that old A700 torque steering is not obvious, would the new cut A700 chassis sensitive to the torque steering?
Maybe check your tweak and your shocks/springs... The new L and EX feel the same to me as the A700, no torque steer. If you feel it doulbe check everything.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

New victorious setup from Manuel Henriet ( Belgium):
http://awesomatix.com/download/
Manuel won RD2 of Modelifun Indoor Challenge 2012-2013 ( Belgium) in superstock 10.5T class.
Congratulations!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tinngsmile
For what its worth, I ran a 4.5 turn in the A700L version ( longitudinal ) on high grip carpet just two weeks ago. I don't feel any torque steer at all. Freddy suggested I go from 1000 to 2000 gear diff oil when I thought I felt some torque steer last year in my A700. After this change there was no longer an appearance of torque steer at all.

p.s. Thank you Mike, Franko, and Freddy for the nice words.

Jake D.

Last edited by Magnet Top; 11-15-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.