R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #1276
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,892
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hana166 View Post
I've actually cut the top deck all the way through, its just two strips of carbon now. I was suffering from snap oversteer in fast sweepers. This is how I cured the problem with the 417 (not quite so drastic) and it worked with the A700 providing more stability. Just ordered the IAS hoping to calm the car further in high speed transitions whilst using less toe out

Also I run 1mm under the wishbones at the rear (equivalent to hingepin 8mm from underside of baseplate), 0.5mm in front. Similar to a typical 416/417 set up, and exactly where I run my Xray. Quite different from what others are doing but I couldn't make any sense of the car until I did this, just could not get the rotation and exit corner steering I wanted low and medium speed

Active castor rocks
Thanks for the information. What surface do you run on?

The IAS definitely improves overall steering - used with std castor.

Active castor - didnt like it as much as std castor with the std rack. Active castor gave me more mid/exit steering but lost a little on initial. I should go back and try it now that I have the IAS installed.
__________________
● AWESOMATIX USA ● ABSOLUTEHOBBYZ ● HEBIKI DESIGN WORKS ●
MDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #1277
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 717
Default

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0GEP...3&feature=plcp

DHI CUP 2012.
Three A700 cars are in the A-main of SuperStock 17,5.
One A700 is in A-main of Mod.
Oleg Babich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #1278
Tech Addict
 
hana166's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 675
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDawson View Post
Thanks for the information. What surface do you run on?

The IAS definitely improves overall steering - used with std castor.

Active castor - didnt like it as much as std castor with the std rack. Active castor gave me more mid/exit steering but lost a little on initial. I should go back and try it now that I have the IAS installed.
Carpet all year but still learning about asphalt. But really love asphalt

OK that sounds about right as I was looking for more mid/exit and it worked great. It smoothed entry also and I must say the turn in is unreal now. I've got 1mm under the rear wishbones to get more rotation in the rear so the active castor isn't a problem to corner entry, its just very smooth and progressive.

In what way do you think the steering improved with the IAS?
hana166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #1279
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hana166 View Post
I've actually cut the top deck all the way through, its just two strips of carbon now. I was suffering from snap oversteer in fast sweepers. This is how I cured the problem with the 417 (not quite so drastic) and it worked with the A700 providing more stability. Just ordered the IAS hoping to calm the car further in high speed transitions whilst using less toe out

Also I run 1mm under the wishbones at the rear (equivalent to hingepin 8mm from underside of baseplate), 0.5mm in front. Similar to a typical 416/417 set up, and exactly where I run my Xray. Quite different from what others are doing but I couldn't make any sense of the car until I did this, just could not get the rotation and exit corner steering I wanted low and medium speed

Active castor rocks
IAS? Lost me? Care to explain??

How do you feel the car goes in transverse? I suffered massive overheating issues with the normal layout at the weekend, can only think the position of the motor doesn't let enough air get to it?
Mb3195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #1280
Tech Addict
 
hana166's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 675
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb3195 View Post
IAS? Lost me? Care to explain??

How do you feel the car goes in transverse? I suffered massive overheating issues with the normal layout at the weekend, can only think the position of the motor doesn't let enough air get to it?
Increased Ackermann Set. I've only run transverse so can't say about inline looking forward to trying it
hana166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #1281
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,892
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hana166 View Post
In what way do you think the steering improved with the IAS?
Going back to some of my earliest notes about this car I was always in search of more steering. Tried droop, battery position, raise/lower links and roll center changes.

The IAS was what I was looking for. My car felt like I gained more initial steering and exit. All around the car just felt to turn better. The car had a good arc, didnt fell like it was diving in to hard. Over the longer term, it might be a little easier on the front tires even with the battery in R2 or F1.
__________________
● AWESOMATIX USA ● ABSOLUTEHOBBYZ ● HEBIKI DESIGN WORKS ●
MDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #1282
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,892
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb3195 View Post
IAS? Lost me? Care to explain??

How do you feel the car goes in transverse? I suffered massive overheating issues with the normal layout at the weekend, can only think the position of the motor doesn't let enough air get to it?
Because of the cars efficiency in L-motor position - I have been able to actually carry more gear on my car. Motor temps have not been an issue.

You might want to check the rotor, stator, gearing, timing and ESC settings (drag brake/static brake). Sounds like the problem is elsewhere.

I want to try the T-motor position for chassis dynamics and drivetrain feel.
__________________
● AWESOMATIX USA ● ABSOLUTEHOBBYZ ● HEBIKI DESIGN WORKS ●
MDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #1283
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDawson View Post
Because of the cars efficiency in L-motor position - I have been able to actually carry more gear on my car. Motor temps have not been an issue.

You might want to check the rotor, stator, gearing, timing and ESC settings (drag brake/static brake). Sounds like the problem is elsewhere.

I want to try the T-motor position for chassis dynamics and drivetrain feel.
Exactly the same setup as my X-ray, motor runs 20 degrees c hotter!

I may try the transverse setting though
Mb3195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #1284
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,892
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb3195 View Post
Exactly the same setup as my X-ray, motor runs 20 degrees c hotter!

I may try the transverse setting though
Did you have fan on your car? On the Xray?
__________________
● AWESOMATIX USA ● ABSOLUTEHOBBYZ ● HEBIKI DESIGN WORKS ●
MDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #1285
Tech Master
 
Magnet Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,926
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDawson View Post
Going back to some of my earliest notes about this car I was always in search of more steering. Tried droop, battery position, raise/lower links and roll center changes.

The IAS was what I was looking for. My car felt like I gained more initial steering and exit. All around the car just felt to turn better. The car had a good arc, didnt fell like it was diving in to hard. Over the longer term, it might be a little easier on the front tires even with the battery in R2 or F1.
Yeah, the little I've run with the IAS rack I felt it created more steering everywhere but I didn't get much time to sort out which geometry works best. This Wednesday and Saturday I intend to focus on ackermann. Hopefully the "groove" will come in on our new layout so I can share what I learn.

Jake D.
Magnet Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #1286
Tech Champion
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,803
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Gotta get myself that IAS set....
__________________
R C 3 G R A F I X _ F U S I O N . G R A P H I X _ S E A T T L E - R/C - R A C E R S _ E M E R A L D C I T Y R C . C O M

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO

Last edited by JayBee; 01-09-2012 at 05:39 PM.
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #1287
Tech Master
 
Magnet Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,926
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Gotta get myself that IAS set....
Just wanted to know if there was a link as to what the kit actually comes with, description of the features and what not ?
http://shop.awesomatix.com/index.php?productID=837
Magnet Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #1288
Tech Champion
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,803
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet Top View Post

Last edited by JayBee; 01-09-2012 at 05:38 PM.
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #1289
Tech Champion
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,173
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDawson View Post
Going back to some of my earliest notes about this car I was always in search of more steering. Tried droop, battery position, raise/lower links and roll center changes.

The IAS was what I was looking for. My car felt like I gained more initial steering and exit. All around the car just felt to turn better. The car had a good arc, didnt fell like it was diving in to hard. Over the longer term, it might be a little easier on the front tires even with the battery in R2 or F1.
This is such a timely discussion, as I have the IAS sitting in my pit box ready to test out, so was going to ask about what affect it had on the car. I've had the steering plate and rack from both out and compared side to side, and there is quite a difference between them (basically the rack moves further forward)... are you using the fully amount of parts, or just the replacement hub plates.

Which settings are you using on the IAS set Mark?

Cheers
Ed
__________________
| THard.co.uk | Xray | Hobbywing |
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #1290
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,892
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
This is such a timely discussion, as I have the IAS sitting in my pit box ready to test out, so was going to ask about what affect it had on the car. I've had the steering plate and rack from both out and compared side to side, and there is quite a difference between them (basically the rack moves further forward)... are you using the fully amount of parts, or just the replacement hub plates.

Which settings are you using on the IAS set Mark?

Cheers
Ed
I am using the revised hub plates and rack.

Rack is full forward. Middle holes on rack with 1.5mm spacers. Steering ball has 4mm spacers
__________________
● AWESOMATIX USA ● ABSOLUTEHOBBYZ ● HEBIKI DESIGN WORKS ●
MDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bendigo..Vic.. On Road Car Club VoneSkip Australian Racing 17189 Yesterday 03:25 PM
Topeka Onroad Racing Aaron P Kansas/Missouri Racing 10912 12-03-2016 08:53 PM
T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car keithander Electric On-Road 9053 02-24-2016 07:51 PM
Touring Car Custom Cut Urethane Chassis Protectors!! Rommel Electric On-Road 220 07-07-2013 10:23 PM
The prototype car is on the winning pace number_one Electric On-Road 163 01-12-2009 11:52 AM


Tags
yokomo


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:08 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0