Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

This past Saturday I ran my A700 for the first time at our local indoor asphalt track. It was a club race with the normal 3 qual and main format. Like some of you I had some play in the springs which I resolved by using o-rings. On the track I didn't notice the sporadic spin outs that were mentioned by some racers (my upper deck is uncut). The car was very composed in corner entry, mid, and exit.

Setup
-Built per the manual (roll center, dive, squat)
-Upper links: Long front; Long rear
-Front universals: Bushing R
-Rear Universals: C-Drive
-Front gear: Spool
-Rear gear: Gear diff w/ AE 80wt oil
-Motor layout: Longitudinal (Spur = 81; Pinion=45)
-Body: LTC-R regular weight
-Tires/wheels: Solaris Hard pre-mounts
-Ride height: 5mm
-Droop: 2mm over ride height (front and rear)
-Camber: 1.5mm all 4 corners
-Toe: Front=0 degrees ; Rear=3 degrees
-Caster: 4.5 degrees
-Wheelbase: I shortened it but I haven't come up with a great way to measure it yet.
-Shocks: SRS/RHS arrangement and Symmetric Damper Action Mode
(Front A=5mm and B=2.4mm; Rear A=4mm and B=2mm)
-Sway bars: Front=SB12; Rear=SB10

Electronics
-Servo: Fut S9551
-ESC: Tekin RS
-Rx: KO 409
-Motor: Trinity D3 17.5
-Battery: TP 5600mAh 60C w/ Deans
-Full steering travel and -5 expo on the Tx

The car is balanced with each corner registering at around 310g (give or take 5g). With the LTC-R regular body (1 coat of paint and no decals) comes in around 1360g. The car is pushy (overall) so I'll be working to get a little more steering from this point on. In terms of durability I've not had any issues with the upper turnbuckles, front universal ring, etc. The car did get 'tweaked' really bad after a run in with another car but was resolved by resetting the upper deck. Of all the cars I've driven and bad accidents I've been involved with I've never seen a car come off the track that 'tweaked'. So far the car is very easy to drive and very consistant throughout the race. I'll need to work on the various shock dampening and spring rate at my next outing. I still haven't found the combo that feels similar to my TRF417 setup.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John.C
This past Saturday I ran my A700 for the first time at our local indoor asphalt track. It was a club race with the normal 3 qual and main format. Like some of you I had some play in the springs which I resolved by using o-rings. On the track I didn't notice the sporadic spin outs that were mentioned by some racers (my upper deck is uncut). The car was very composed in corner entry, mid, and exit.

Setup
-Built per the manual (roll center, dive, squat)
-Upper links: Long front; Long rear
-Front universals: Bushing R
-Rear Universals: C-Drive
-Front gear: Spool
-Rear gear: Gear diff w/ AE 80wt oil
-Motor layout: Longitudinal (Spur = 81; Pinion=45)
-Body: LTC-R regular weight
-Tires/wheels: Solaris Hard pre-mounts
-Ride height: 5mm
-Droop: 2mm over ride height (front and rear)
-Camber: 1.5mm all 4 corners
-Toe: Front=0 degrees ; Rear=3 degrees
-Caster: 4.5 degrees
-Wheelbase: I shortened it but I haven't come up with a great way to measure it yet.
-Shocks: SRS/RHS arrangement and Symmetric Damper Action Mode
(Front A=5mm and B=2.4mm; Rear A=4mm and B=2mm)
-Sway bars: Front=SB12; Rear=SB10

Electronics
-Servo: Fut S9551
-ESC: Tekin RS
-Rx: KO 409
-Motor: Trinity D3 17.5
-Battery: TP 5600mAh 60C w/ Deans
-Full steering travel and -5 expo on the Tx

The car is balanced with each corner registering at around 310g (give or take 5g). With the LTC-R regular body (1 coat of paint and no decals) comes in around 1360g. The car is pushy (overall) so I'll be working to get a little more steering from this point on. In terms of durability I've not had any issues with the upper turnbuckles, front universal ring, etc. The car did get 'tweaked' really bad after a run in with another car but was resolved by resetting the upper deck. Of all the cars I've driven and bad accidents I've been involved with I've never seen a car come off the track that 'tweaked'. So far the car is very easy to drive and very consistant throughout the race. I'll need to work on the various shock dampening and spring rate at my next outing. I still haven't found the combo that feels similar to my TRF417 setup.
The C is a very unique track.

I would try front gear diff, move battery forward and droop of 3F/4R there. Had a really good runs with the T car there. Also go with 1d toe out in the front & try to disconnect the front sway bar for a run. Also can probably reduce the rear toe to 2.5.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MDawson
The C is a very unique track.

I would try front gear diff, move battery forward and droop of 3F/4R there. Had a really good runs with the T car there. Also go with 1d toe out in the front & try to disconnect the front sway bar for a run. Also can probably reduce the rear toe to 2.5.
I'm putting together another order to include a gear diff and another top deck among other things. I'll try the 1 degree toe out in the front and go to 2-2.5 degree in the rear. I'm curious to see what no sway bars will do to the handling. I started out with the SB13 and dropped down to SB12 and noticed the car transferred weight much better through the corner. I've never ran a TC car with sway bars, didn't even think to try it. I'll also move the battery forward and increase the droop. The C is hosting the Toys for Tots race this weekend so I'll get to try drive my car again and test out these setup changes.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by John.C
I'm putting together another order to include a gear diff and another top deck among other things. I'll try the 1 degree toe out in the front and go to 2-2.5 degree in the rear. I'm curious to see what no sway bars will do to the handling. I started out with the SB13 and dropped down to SB12 and noticed the car transferred weight much better through the corner. I've never ran a TC car with sway bars, didn't even think to try it. I'll also move the battery forward and increase the droop. The C is hosting the Toys for Tots race this weekend so I'll get to try drive my car again and test out these setup changes.
T car was never happy without sway bars, even at the C. Good luck.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Tech Master

Will do. Good luck (at Horsham) this weekend! If not sooner I'll catch up with you at MRH for the Sweep challange race.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
If you are not commenting any useful information then don't post here at all
Its a great car but at least a of the owners have a sence of humour failure

Bb
Old 12-09-2011, 03:22 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Hey MDawson
I got my A700 Today...The bad news...PM
Old 12-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OVA
Hey MDawson
I got my A700 Today...The bad news...PM
Vlad or Oleg - can you get back to OVA re: his order?

Ova - happy to share parts I might have to tie you over until your shipment shows up. I have a couple of spares of things. I am not supported by Awesomatix by any means but happy to get you going. LMK.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Dawson is like Awsomatix USA East Coast ...
Old 12-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default A700

Anyone have video of the car racing on carpet? Like 17.5? Thanks
Old 12-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MDawson
Vlad or Oleg - can you get back to OVA re: his order?

Ova - happy to share parts I might have to tie you over until your shipment shows up. I have a couple of spares of things. I am not supported by Awesomatix by any means but happy to get you going. LMK.
My first aide kit was in a bag amongst all the rest of the kit parts. Regardless, it sounds like he has enough to build it and I have a few spares too if he should need anything. Franko ( Ova ) races at my local track. I guess I'm no longer unique around here. :roll eyes:

Jake D.
Attached Thumbnails Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)-img_0178.jpg  
Old 12-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by haywood
Anyone have video of the car racing on carpet? Like 17.5? Thanks
The ATS race in Japan is the highest profile A700 win. Ivan Laptev drove to victory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w47c...layer_embedded

but here is video from my club

I'm the multicolored red white yellow orange car that is 2nd on the grid and take the lead on the second lap. Coasted the rest of the way for the win. 17.5 blinky....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsA2QLoGiSc

Jake D.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
The ATS race in Japan is the highest profile A700 win. Ivan Laptev drove to victory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w47c...layer_embedded

but here is video from my club

I'm the multicolored red white yellow orange car that is 2nd on the grid and take the lead on the second lap. Coasted the rest of the way for the win. 17.5 blinky....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsA2QLoGiSc

Jake D.
Very nice run!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hanulec
Dawson is like Awsomatix USA East Coast ...
I learned well from Tamiya East Coast, Top East Coast, RC America East Coast. I think we should just open up a pro-parts supply house.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
My first aide kit was in a bag amongst all the rest of the kit parts. Regardless, it sounds like he has enough to build it and I have a few spares too if he should need anything. Franko ( Ova ) races at my local track. I guess I'm no longer unique around here. :roll eyes:

Jake D.
Thought Ova might have checked this. The car has a relatively small (size/amount) parts count and without header cards and such it can be deceiving how things are packed out.

Nevertheless, the Pacific Northwest is well represented. I hear a few more folks are looking at the car as well.

Good luck at the track this weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.