R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #6361
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post

Unless of course spending unnecessary money is something you are looking to do then by all means. Buy it.
buying an Awesomatix, so what do you think, lol

I actually have a special area on my home bench that is perfectly level for balancing etc
Old 05-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #6362
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
buying an Awesomatix, so what do you think, lol

I actually have a special area on my home bench that is perfectly level for balancing etc
The problem with that is you dont race at your home. You need to be checking Caster at the track consistently not at home

Horsham RC. Where champions practice Failing. I'm your everything.....
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #6363
Tech Elite

Quote:
The problem with that is you dont race at your home. You need to be checking Caster at the track consistently not at home
ok, wow, I didn't realize the car was that fragile that caster would be moving all day. Well I did order the doodles, so I will use those at the track.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #6364
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Quote:
That is a huge waste of time and money IMO. First and foremost your pit table will have to be perfectly level.

Second. That things looks heavy and large. When screwed into the steering it will be hanging off the backside and due to the weight will most def be twisting the whole setup downwards creating extra caster angle.

The doodles are fine IMO. If your caster is off by .2 believe me you wont notice.

Unless of course spending unnecessary money is something you are looking to do then by all means. Buy it.
This response comes off unnecessarily harsh towards such an innocent request.
IIGQ4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #6365
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
ok, wow, I didn't realize the car was that fragile that caster would be moving all day. Well I did order the doodles, so I will use those at the track.
It doesnt really move around a lot, but if you change camber you really should re check the caster, or if you change other things like camber gain or reactive caster you should re-check all the alignment as well. Plus the caster is a good tuning option, so why not use it? Its not like you have to tear the front end apart to change a C hub

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/LRP/Sweep Racing/RSD/Middle River Hobbies/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #6366
Tech Elite

Quote:
Well I'm not sure how you usually maintain your car but If you check and adjust camber regularly you will also have to check caster at the same time.

Unless you are cool with it being all out of whack. There is basically no way to adjust camber without caster changing at least a little bit.

And that brings up another point. If you are not doing this type of stuff regularly then maybe a gauge that is that accurate is not needed.

Unless I'm doing a morning pre-racing scramble I check caster and camber every run. Its the only way to replicate your setup and know what changes do. I do it with every car not just the Awesomatix. I obviously dont bother with checking caster every run on other cars but def camber. The added step in the awesomatix car is you have to change 2 turnbuckles to adjust camber without changing caster. Unfortunately turning each of the 2 upper turnbuckles the exact same amount is not as easy as it sounds. Remember we are talking about degrees and half degrees of adjustment. These are pretty minute adjustments so accuracy is of the utmost importance.

I have found that I can have a perfect run not touch anything (I know I know it doesnt happen often but it happens) and camber will be changed as much as a degree per wheel in one way or another. Remember we are playing with toy cars and using plastic pieces to set our camber that cost probably 3 cents a piece. Plastic stretches from stress being put on it.

The Awesomatix is not any more or less fragile than any car. This is the case with all cars I have owned.

Accuracy is important in setup as a control. When adjusting rear camber/caster on this car you are also going to have to check rear toe each time as well. That is a minute adjustment to the rear link and will change easily.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #6367
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Remember, Larry is faster than the average bear. There must be some reason why.
It is obvious and intuitive to the most casual of observers that RC racing is better than golf.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #6368
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIGQ4U View Post
This response comes off unnecessarily harsh towards such an innocent request.
Hello I don't think we have met. My Name is Larry Fairtrace. If you dont want to hear my honest opinion you should ignore me now.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #6369
Tech Elite

well,
1. I was asking hanulec, not you, so please just go away.

2. I have never had a car change camber after one run before, now I am worried about the Awesomatix if camber changes every run. I ran my vbc all day sat, 3 quals and main, and checked the camber after the third round and at home after the main: it was identical to what I set it at home before the race day. Same experience as every other time for 9 months I have run the car.

That wasn't a question so please don't respond, once again I am asking hanulec a question not you.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #6370
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

There's a lot more camber links on the AMX than other cars, and the settings (camber/caster) interact with one another. While it does hold its adjustment pretty well, it's not like a traditional sedan where a lot of the settings (rear toe, caster) are static. More moving parts means more chances for things to change a little bit. It's just the reality of things. If you're looking for a car that you can run all day without touching like the VBC, this might not be the right choice for you. This car is at its best when you pay close attention to detail and make sure things are right. You also get the advantage of not having to fiddle with shocks and springs, it's amazingly quick to swap out gear diffs and spools, you can change caster infinitely and quickly, etc. I personally find the amount of work the car takes to be similar to a traditional sedan, you just spend your time doing different types of things.

The reward is that this is the fastest car in stock racing without question. Everybody that gets one goes faster with it. It's not even up for discussion anymore, it's simply a fact. And it's been shaking things up in mod lately as well (carpet nats, MHIC).
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #6371
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
There's a lot more camber links on the AMX than other cars, and the settings (camber/caster) interact with one another. While it does hold its adjustment pretty well, it's not like a traditional sedan where a lot of the settings (rear toe, caster) are static. More moving parts means more chances for things to change a little bit. It's just the reality of things. If you're looking for a car that you can run all day without touching like the VBC, this might not be the right choice for you. This car is at its best when you pay close attention to detail and make sure things are right. You also get the advantage of not having to fiddle with shocks and springs, it's amazingly quick to swap out gear diffs and spools, you can change caster infinitely and quickly, etc. I personally find the amount of work the car takes to be similar to a traditional sedan, you just spend your time doing different types of things.

The reward is that this is the fastest car in stock racing without question. Everybody that gets one goes faster with it. It's not even up for discussion anymore, it's simply a fact. And it's been shaking things up in mod lately as well (carpet nats, MHIC).
I'm thinking I will spend the time I currently spend changing oil and springs checking camber and caster, like you said, which is fine and the reason I want it set exactly to start at least and then check every run
Stock racing is exactly why I'm getting this car and run the VBC in other classes.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #6372
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Quote:
Hello I don't think we have met. My Name is Larry Fairtrace. If you dont want to hear my honest opinion you should ignore me now.
I don't recall anybody requesting your opinion. What a great representative you are for Awesomatix and Awesomatix USA. Is this really the kind of treatment that new Awesomatix customers should expect?

You blasted a guy for making a simple product request and expressed your opinion in a very demeaning matter.

If you treat guys who run the same car as you this way, I'd hate to see how you treat the competition.

Oh, thanks for the ignore suggestion, but I think I'll pass.
IIGQ4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #6373
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIGQ4U View Post
I don't recall anybody requesting your opinion. What a great representative you are for Awesomatix and Awesomatix USA. Is this really the kind of treatment that new Awesomatix customers should expect?

You blasted a guy for making a simple product request and expressed your opinion in a very demeaning matter.

If you treat guys who run the same car as you this way, I'd hate to see how you treat the competition.

Oh, thanks for the ignore suggestion, but I think I'll pass.

I didn't realize that RC Car racers were so sensitive. I don't really think anything I said was that bad.

I'm glad you are judging me by my one post giving my honest opinion on a guy saving a bunch of money on an unneeded setup tool.

If you knew me at all you would know I'm one of the most helpful people at the track. I'm not going to sit here and explain every helpful thing I do at the track to someone I dont know Remember we are all grown men racing toy cars for bowling trophies.

Please put me on ignore. I'm not going away. You will miss some of the best, most truthful advice on this forum but it appears you don't want it anyways. So I guess it doesn't matter much.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #6374
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I would have to agree he did come off a bit harsh. if a guy want to spend the money on a tool let him. if he doesn't take your advice then take it with a grain of salt. everybody is entitled to their own opinion. However it is nice to have good setup tools. and one can get a level surface at the race track. thats what bubble levels are for. i keep one in my pit box for that reason.

Btw. i love my a700. still learning it but love the fantastic handling i get out of it. unfortunately we got rained out the first weekend of asphalt here in the NW. and its looking like it could possibly do it to us again even though its sunny and 75 degrees during the week. gotta love the PNW weather.
dragonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #6375
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
I didn't realize that RC Car racers were so sensitive. I don't really think anything I said was that bad.

I'm glad you are judging me by my one post giving my honest opinion on a guy saving a bunch of money on an unneeded setup tool.

If you knew me at all you would know I'm one of the most helpful people at the track. I'm not going to sit here and explain every helpful thing I do at the track to someone I dont know Remember we are all grown men racing toy cars for bowling trophies.

Please put me on ignore. I'm not going away. You will miss some of the best, most truthful advice on this forum but it appears you don't want it anyways. So I guess it doesn't matter much.

Larry your such a scrub...what do you know about setup anyway?

Just because you always have the fastest car at every track you go to gives you no right to respond accurately and directly to a question on the internet.

All kidding aside...Larry's input might be useful and worth listening to since he is one of the best racers in the country.

I think Larry meant to be direct instead of trying to belittle anyone so lets chill on the drama.