R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-29-2014, 11:57 PM   #6271
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

I agree that the final voltage will be higher in a bigger pack, but I don't think it will make much of a difference though, specially when corner speed is the name of the spec game...
Also, the smaller pack makes for a better balance between what the motor needs, and the available energy in the pack: no need for a nuclear power source to run a 17.5t.... No wonder some racers endup cooking their motors, while I run mine at a much higher gearing with no heat issues at all !!!!!!! Take a look at stock brushed motors running nimh packs easily vs burning up with lipos, eventhough the lipos are lighter... Yeah I know brushless is more efficient than brushed, but brushless/nimh is more efficient than brushless/lipo for the same weight..... Don't overcook your motors guys with 7500mah packs while Bert passes you by....lol.... A 4300mah pack is the best size there is....

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 04-30-2014 at 12:09 AM.
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:04 AM   #6272
Tech Apprentice

I think I might have just lost IQ points.......
NickGroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:06 AM   #6273
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'm with you cause nothing said above your post makes sense ,,, lol
Old 04-30-2014, 07:06 AM   #6274
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
I agree that the final voltage will be higher in a bigger pack, but I don't think it will make much of a difference though, specially when corner speed is the name of the spec game...
Also, the smaller pack makes for a better balance between what the motor needs, and the available energy in the pack: no need for a nuclear power source to run a 17.5t.... No wonder some racers endup cooking their motors, while I run mine at a much higher gearing with no heat issues at all !!!!!!! Take a look at stock brushed motors running nimh packs easily vs burning up with lipos, eventhough the lipos are lighter... Yeah I know brushless is more efficient than brushed, but brushless/nimh is more efficient than brushless/lipo for the same weight..... Don't overcook your motors guys with 7500mah packs while Bert passes you by....lol.... A 4300mah pack is the best size there is....
Motors burning up has to do with gearing and timing, not the battery. Sometimes I wonder if you were sent here to work against us and slow us down... I am not aware of any stock driver to win any major race with 4300mah packs in recent days. I use 7200mah packs and still needed to add weight for stock rubber!
Travis S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:11 AM   #6275
Tech Addict

Quote:
Yes because a LiPo volt is not the same as a NiMH volt.

You should try some NiCads Bert, they are even better for stock racing. There are some good 1200mAh cells out there that really make you pass everyone.
napoleon1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:12 AM   #6276
Tech Elite

yep.. i don't understand the obsession with lighter batteries if you have to add weight to a car thats already under weight
Old 04-30-2014, 07:38 AM   #6277
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Please Stop quoting Bert. I have him on ignore and it hurts my head to read his incoherent ramblings.

Hes a Troll people. The dude does not race. He has no clue as to what is fast and what is not fast in any class. As far as I have been told he doesn't own an Awesomatix. Hes here to rustle Jimmies and misinform people.

Horsham RC. Where champions practice Failing. I'm your everything.....
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:50 AM   #6278
Tech Champion

I will be quoted forever ”Larry”, and will beat you soon too with my tc4+3300mah pack on carpet.... My theory is sound eventhough I don't practice enough because of Work schedule.... I also own the fastest Awesomatix in the World that will beat the ”Three Stooges” (Larry, Joe & Moe) soon....lol... Don't hate, appreciate !!!
Racing is not limited to Horsham & Jackson Rc !!! I guess someone is scared to race in NY....lol....

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 04-30-2014 at 09:07 AM.
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:52 AM   #6279
Tech Elite

yup its official every thread has a troll
Old 04-30-2014, 09:12 AM   #6280
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Just don't feed the troll, people... and he will go back under his bridge. The ignore feature is a great tool to keep you from dispensing your troll food.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:20 AM   #6281
Tech Apprentice

Question: Is a 6000 mah Lipo lower/thinner than a 7500-8000 pack?
I believe, a big pack gives you a little bit more punch at the end of the race.
But using a lighter pack and a lot of additional weight on the chassis the COG should be a bit lower equaling in more grip and less tendency to grip roll.
Worst87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #6282
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worst87 View Post
Question: Is a 6000 mah Lipo lower/thinner than a 7500-8000 pack?
I believe, a big pack gives you a little bit more punch at the end of the race.
But using a lighter pack and a lot of additional weight on the chassis the COG should be a bit lower equaling in more grip and less tendency to grip roll.
The battery will be 30g different... But that is only a 10% difference. Doesnt feel like enough yo solve a grip roll issue.

Work the springs/dampener first (making things softer).
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:55 PM   #6283
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Travis S I agree

To add

At my club there are several drivers who are not making any mistakes over the 5 mins. We all have fast setups. On any given week the driver with the fastest car will win. Its been like this for a year. If you can drive 17.5 its about chasing batteries speedos and motor. The setup generally needs to take grip away (to a point) so the car doesn't slow down in corners as traction is less of an issue because the power is so little at least on carpet.

As the power increases the setup needs more traction in order to make use of the power on corner exit. The extra traction help slow you down in the corner which is generally what you need in mod. So also the driving style changes in tandem with the setup. More power, lower corner speed, more exit traction, lots of off power steering to get the nose in and slow the car down also.

I mean its not a rule but I've found its a different way of thinking about setup and driving according to the power available.
hana166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:41 PM   #6284
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
I will be quoted forever ”Larry”, and will beat you soon too with my tc4+3300mah pack on carpet.... My theory is sound eventhough I don't practice enough because of Work schedule.... I also own the fastest Awesomatix in the World that will beat the ”Three Stooges” (Larry, Joe & Moe) soon....lol... Don't hate, appreciate !!!
Racing is not limited to Horsham & Jackson Rc !!! I guess someone is scared to race in NY....lol....
Wanted LF to see this. That is all. Bert'd. 87'd.
Sir Loin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #6285
Tech Elite

This thread makes me laugh. Don't taunt Larry unless you like losing.
It is obvious and intuitive to the most casual of observers that RC racing is better than golf.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote