R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-20-2014, 01:18 AM   #5356
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
we all have had our 'b main' weekends. i'm hoping to avoid them over the next two weeks

so if Monti won in Region 5, and Gee won 17.5 in Region 2 --- Awesomatix had a good weekend at ROAR Regional events! that sounds like the making of a redrc post. we had four Awesomatix cars in the 17.5T A-main this past weekend -- Gee, Hoffmeister, Themelis and myself plus 3 cars in the modified A-main -- Gee, Fairtrace, myself.
Nothing of a note worthy regional, but at our club race this past weekend we had our second race weekend in a row with a new Awesomatix owner/driver win their first time out in 17.5 stock. This past sat it was Randy Sides and the event before that was Aaron Newport. Just crazy to see guys throw the car down for their first time out and win right away. Big thanks to Kody Knudtson for coming out and giving lots of help and also putting on a driving display in mod on our fuzzy old rug.

I'm still a rookie in RC but love my A700L and know that this will be a big year for the Awesomatix brand.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:09 PM   #5357
Tech Rookie

Hi guys. I'm one of A700 EVO user in South Korea.
At the begin of February, we will have Korean Cup Race of 17.5 class.
By the way, from this year, nobody can use any tire additive and warmer in this race by new rule.
And the race way is indoor asphalt circuit and normal temperature is 5~10℃ and control tire is SWEEP 30 EVO.
So, at the last weekend, I tested my A700 with used SWEEP 30 EVO (not new one) without additive and warming, and this was good and not bad.
But I tested a brand new controlled tire only just sanding the center rubber line, and this was like driving on the ice!
So, I had to change many settings to control my car even this kind bad condition.
Anyway, I'm asking some opinions of the following questions.

1. C01EX and C01Alu, which chassis is better for this kind of bad condition?

2. After changed many settings, I could barely control my car at this condition but still had difficult the below two thing.
a. Heavy understeer at conner entry
b. Very easliy spin on the acceleration at conner exit (so, I had to very smooth and slow acceleration)
To solve these how to change my settings?
<My set up>
A700 EVO with C01 Alu chassis and AM33 long stiffner
Ride height : F5.3 / R5.5
Shock Oil : F 3 / R 4
Shock Spring : F 3 / R 2.8
Downstop : F 5 / R 6.5
Caster : F 4 / R 0
Camber : F 1.5 / R 1.5
Toe : F -1 / R 3
Diff : 1000
Others are similar as the standard setup.

3. Any tip for new tire to get more grip without additive and warming. (for example scratch on the tire by knife...)

Last edited by gratank; 01-20-2014 at 11:58 PM.
gratank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:15 AM   #5358
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratank View Post
Hi guys. I'm one of A700 EVO user in South Korea.
At the begin of February, we will have Korean Cup Race of 17.5 class.
By the way, from this year, nobody can use any tire additive and warmer in this race by new rule.
And the race way is indoor asphalt circuit and normal temperature is 5~10℃ and control tire is SWEEP 30 EVO.
So, at the last weekend, I tested my A700 with used SWEEP 30 EVO (not new one) without additive and warming, and this was good and not bad.
But I tested a brand new controlled tire only just sanding the center rubber line, and this was like driving on the ice!
So, I had to change many settings to control my car even this kind bad condition.
Anyway, I'm asking some opinions of the following questions.

1. C01EX and C01Alu, which chassis is better for this kind of bad condition?

2. After changed many settings, I could barely control my car at this condition but still had difficult the below two thing.
a. Heavy understeer at conner entry
b. Very easliy spin on the acceleration at conner exit (so, I had to very smooth and slow acceleration)
To solve these how to change my settings?
<My set up>
A700 EVO with C01 Alu chassis and AM33 long stiffner
Ride height : F5.3 / R5.5
Shock Oil : F 3 / R 4
Shock Spring : F 3 / R 2.8
Downstop : F 5 / R 6.5
Caster : F 4 / R 0
Camber : F 1.5 / R 1.5
Toe : F -1 / R 3
Diff : 1000
Others are similar as the standard setup.

3. Any tip for new tire to get more grip without additive and warming. (for example scratch on the tire by knife...)
Without seeing your complete setup it's hard to say. Have you tried the top plate cut into the T yet? When I had some issues with low grip cutting the top plate helped immensely.

If you can post your complete setup I'm sure the guys here can get you pointed in the right direction.
HawaiiBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:40 AM   #5359
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We are the same here in New Zealand, no tyre additive and lower traction tracks due to colder temperatures. From a quick glance at your set up I would change droop settings. Try running 6 in the front and 5 in the rear. This will allow more weight to transfer forward to help with corner entry. To aid in corner exit stability from what you have given go to 2 deg rear camber. I agree, definitely use a cut T top deck, makes a big difference with traction, or better still...get the FFG, this has made a massive difference on low traction asphelt. As suggested though, there are many other factors that can cause your issues, so a full setup sheet would be useful. What bodyshell are you using?
Simon Noton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:07 AM   #5360
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Noton View Post
We are the same here in New Zealand, no tyre additive and lower traction tracks due to colder temperatures. From a quick glance at your set up I would change droop settings. Try running 6 in the front and 5 in the rear. This will allow more weight to transfer forward to help with corner entry. To aid in corner exit stability from what you have given go to 2 deg rear camber. I agree, definitely use a cut T top deck, makes a big difference with traction, or better still...get the FFG, this has made a massive difference on low traction asphelt. As suggested though, there are many other factors that can cause your issues, so a full setup sheet would be useful. What bodyshell are you using?
Thanks for your advice.
And now I'm using FFG, so I don't use top deck.
And I'm using protoform LTC-R body.

Here I attached my setup sheet.
Attached Thumbnails
Awesomatix EP Touring Car-a700evo_gratank.png  
gratank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:19 AM   #5361
Tech Regular

I always found sweeps better on their second run when no additive is allowed. First run the car is terrible.
Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:11 AM   #5362
Tech Regular

In very low grip conditions you need the car to roll, the more roll the better, droop settings, a cut top deck will help, you could also remove the front and rear anti roll bar BUT if that is still not enough try adding a chassis weight the in inside the roof of the bodyshell, sounds odd I know but racing 1/12th on a very slippery floor years ago we used to have a brass weight that fixed to the arial post, by sliding it up it altered the CoG moving the roll centre higher, self adhesive wieght in the roof does the same thing.

Bb
bucketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:58 AM   #5363
Tech Rookie

In my opinion,you have under steering in corner entry and over steering in corner exit, try small caster, I always use 2degree C hub on my BD7 for indoor asphalt.
aeroace66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:08 AM   #5364
Tech Initiate

Using a slightly softer sway bar set up will help too. Go to a 1.2 front and 1.1 rear.
Simon Noton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:28 AM   #5365
Tech Addict

Quote:
Thanks for your advice.
Here I attached my setup sheet.
My suggestions:

1. Please check your downstops as I see that the rear downstop is bigger than the front downstop in your setup. It should be opposite I think.
2. Try the longer rear links ( without AM19) for more side roll.
3. 1,1/1,0 stabilizers or even without stabilizers ( for more side roll).
4. Softer springs settings (for more side roll).
5. Softer damping with lower A-size value. Try asymmetric mode or #3 dampers.
6. Higher center of gravity (for more side roll). Try the heavier body and Speed 6.
7. A bit more camber.
Oleg Babich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:25 AM   #5366
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks for your advice.
Please try type 2 shs/rhs configuration. This is my favorite setup for asphalt. Allows the tires to heat up quickly. You can see the Jackson RC setups at AwesomatixUSA for some examples..
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #5367
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Babich View Post
My suggestions:

1. Please check your downstops as I see that the rear downstop is bigger than the front downstop in your setup. It should be opposite I think.
2. Try the longer rear links ( without AM19) for more side roll.
3. 1,1/1,0 stabilizers or even without stabilizers ( for more side roll).
4. Softer springs settings (for more side roll).
5. Softer damping with lower A-size value. Try asymmetric mode or #3 dampers.
6. Higher center of gravity (for more side roll). Try the heavier body and Speed 6.
7. A bit more camber.
also could try a MazdaSpeed 6 body... its generally a lot smoother overall

+1 on the droop... it looks wrong.. most people will run 4.5-5.0 in rear downstop and 5.2-6.0 in front downstop. as you are coming out of a corner, if there isnt enough droop, the car doesn't have enough suspension travel to handle the change of direction well...
gocoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #5368
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default new evo ready!

Well... the new EVO is finally ready... here are some pics with electronics installed... maiden voyage Thursday night!

Awesomatix EP Touring Car-photo-1.jpg

Awesomatix EP Touring Car-photo-3.jpg

Awesomatix EP Touring Car-photo-4.jpg

Awesomatix EP Touring Car-photo5.jpg
gocoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:21 AM   #5369
Tech Adept

any news when the cars are gonna be in stock in the Czech warehouse?

i out my pre-order the day it was available, 27t of dec, and it still just says processing....
Old 01-22-2014, 05:58 AM   #5370
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Production C01AL 2mm Alloy Chassis just showed up yesterday. All pre-orders have shipped. The rest will be in (no so) sunny Florida at Snowbirds next week..

more pics at http://instagram.com/sidepieceracing
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote