Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 05:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HawaiiBob
meh..... there's a better solution. I think you know what that is.
Whatever, if your that good you must have your name on your shirt and get cars for free... And either open or closed end ball cups... And in that case, I have no idea why anyone wouldn't choose easier to remove camber links over closed in ball cups??? Makes no sense to me... If you don't hit walls, sure you don't have to worry about it, but everyone hits walls... And when you do and your ball cup pops off, you will likely be upset.

It's silly they didn't include those ball cups... It's silly they don't include the improved GD2 in the new kit...it's odd that the gd1 diff needs more shims and grinding and shimming to work more effiecently, but that isn't in the manual. Its silly they don't have parts in bags according to steps like other cars...

All that beings said though, It's a good car and an engineering masterpiece ... And it performs well... I don't regret buying one, but do hope they change things in the future so other buyers don't have the frustrations in the build like I did. I am thankful of all the help available in this forum though... Everyone has been very helpful ... Which is definitely very much appreciated!
Old 01-15-2014, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jerry P
i ran the car with standard ball cups and didnt have issues. I went to the top stuff because i ran those cars for years and had lots of stay laying around. Funny thing is the A700 is the more durable car i've owned. I cant say i've broken anything on the car. Have i blown off a ball cup or stripped a spur sure.
I run 10.5 boosted, the A700 is a truley great car, the speed it is able to carry into the corners is frightening, the load it put onto the tyres, suspension and chassis is substatial, at one of the fast tracks I race there is a small bump at the start of the sweeper, on more than one occassion I had ball joints pop off without hitting anything

Bb
Old 01-15-2014, 06:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Performance improvement maybe? Or will that be chalked up as user error?
I should have an EVO soon...
Old 01-15-2014, 06:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gocoogs
Whatever, if your that good you must have your name on your shirt and get cars for free... And either open or closed end ball cups... And in that case, I have no idea why anyone wouldn't choose easier to remove camber links over closed in ball cups??? Makes no sense to me... If you don't hit walls, sure you don't have to worry about it, but everyone hits walls... And when you do and your ball cup pops off, you will likely be upset.

It's silly they didn't include those ball cups... It's silly they don't include the improved GD2 in the new kit...it's odd that the gd1 diff needs more shims and grinding and shimming to work more effiecently, but that isn't in the manual. Its silly they don't have parts in bags according to steps like other cars...

All that beings said though, It's a good car and an engineering masterpiece ... And it performs well... I don't regret buying one, but do hope they change things in the future so other buyers don't have the frustrations in the build like I did. I am thankful of all the help available in this forum though... Everyone has been very helpful ... Which is definitely very much appreciated!
Awesomatix is a small company, very small compared to Xray, associated, serpent, hpi, kyosho, yokomo.... I think you get the idea. Imagine what the cost increase would have been if Oleg would have done things to your standards. Oleg has come up with a evolutionary car, there will be things about it that some may not like. However, I believe if your main gripe is about ball cups your missing the big picture. Other larger companies have had issues a lot bigger then ball cups. My suggestion would be to spend the 6 or 7 bucks and get spare ball cups, they all wear and stretch and will eventually create more play than one would like. I have hit more than my share of boards and had a ball cup pop off. Had I avoided that board(s) it might have come off with contact with another car who knows. Just spend time learning the car, and enjoy it's awesomeness.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HawaiiBob
Awesomatix is a small company, very small compared to Xray, associated, serpent, hpi, kyosho, yokomo.... I think you get the idea. Imagine what the cost increase would have been if Oleg would have done things to your standards. Oleg has come up with a evolutionary car, there will be things about it that some may not like. However, I believe if your main gripe is about ball cups your missing the big picture. Other larger companies have had issues a lot bigger then ball cups. My suggestion would be to spend the 6 or 7 bucks and get spare ball cups, they all wear and stretch and will eventually create more play than one would like. I have hit more than my share of boards and had a ball cup pop off. Had I avoided that board(s) it might have come off with contact with another car who knows. Just spend time learning the car, and enjoy it's awesomeness.
+1000000 ... if ball cups is an issue then you will have bigger problems driving the guys car
Old 01-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hawaii...

Bro, I agree with you for the most part... I am definitely making a bigger deal about "ball cups", but the main point I guess was that Oleg has done the work already figuring out that gd1 needed some modifications to make it function better and didn't change the manual accordingly or put a one page insert in there with the print out of the recommended modification. They even created a new diff that allegedly functions better and doesn't include it in the new evo... I'm not sure why? I'm sure there are reasons ... And I'm sure they make complete sense, but I have just been pretty frustrated that I have to go figure out details by asking questions in this forum instead of just reading it for myself in my kit... I wasted lots of time building and breaking down a diff when the 'work' has already been done identifying and addressing the issue, but yet an update to the manual wasn't made or a supplemental sheet wasn't placed in my kit explaining what I should do.

I mean I built my FFG and I don't know what it should feel like ...should it easily move back and forth or be slightly firm and stick on one side or the other? How much of the carbon bar do I need to sand down the to get the parts attached to move freely??? I just don't know the answer... And I have built it, broken it down, built it again, broken it down... And still don't know how it should feel...But that doesn't frustrate me... It just is what it is and I'll figure that out eventually...

I just want to know how to Build it right the first time... So I can race on Thursday nite instead of change the ball cups out or rebuild the diff or etc etc etc...
Old 01-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (98%+)

hey guys, I bought my car used and I have a question. My car has a spool in the front and the gear ring came loose, is it just a pressure fit system? If that's the case has anybody had this problem? so now I have a loose during from my front spool does anybody know how to secure it?
Old 01-15-2014, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Guys im sorry about starting all this and I apologize.

This is not about ball cups, when you buy a car for 700,800, 900 dollars you expect not to have to modify, grind on or buy another manufactures part to get your car right. This car is bad to the bone, and I have done my homework and I would say best car on the market. But some things were over looked and they were small, and those small things are a big deal to some racer that saves up for a vehicle like this.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

It's all good gijoe. I wouldn't say you 'started' anything. But accepting praise of a product along with some criticism of said product is something that goes hand in hand when many hands and eyes are involved. No one should be told that their critiques are less valuable and unwarranted or the solution is to just gravitate to a different product. Why is there 3 iterations from the original a700? Because there's always room for improvement....
Old 01-15-2014, 07:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BardSmith
hey guys, I bought my car used and I have a question. My car has a spool in the front and the gear ring came loose, is it just a pressure fit system? If that's the case has anybody had this problem? so now I have a loose during from my front spool does anybody know how to secure it?
http://www.awesomatixusa.com/p/spool...ar-repair.html

you can get the fluids yourself, or ship it to Awesomatix USA to be repaired. please e-mail a tracking # to [email protected] if you send it.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (98%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
http://www.awesomatixusa.com/p/spool...ar-repair.html

you can get the fluids yourself, or ship it to Awesomatix USA to be repaired. please e-mail a tracking # to [email protected] if you send it.
Thanks mike!
Old 01-15-2014, 09:06 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hawaii...

I mean I built my FFG and I don't know what it should feel like ...should it easily move back and forth or be slightly firm and stick on one side or the other? How much of the carbon bar do I need to sand down the to get the parts attached to move freely??? I just don't know the answer... And I have built it, broken it down, built it again, broken it down... And still don't know how it should feel...But that doesn't frustrate me... It just is what it is and I'll figure that out eventually...
etc...

The FFG should be quite smooth side to side, and yes it should return to center. By far the smoothest one I have seen is Kody's he also spent quite a bit of time setting it up and tweaking it.. He would be the one at this point to look to for tips and tricks.

Also look to Oleg as well for some tricks just give it some time for everyone to get to grips with the FFG. I personally worked on mine at the last race and with some attension to detail and the use of a top deck got mine pretty smooth as well, this is with the graphite chassis.

I really think the CL01AL chassis makes the FFG shine and I am eager to test mine at the next race along with the long center brace. This is the combo Jake and Kody ran at the WCICS # 5 race last weekend, and both cars looked dialed in the mod classes.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
I cannot say how excited I am to be building my new car tonight (and tomorrow .. and Friday..). Hopefully during the weekend and/or at Snowbirds we can make some build videos to highlight the finer details of the car -- and its assembly.

Post some images on Instragram! Can't wait to see your OWN Mhike; finally. You sacrificed to hand the available units to us FIRST, your customers. Cheers and more power!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

...Open ended ball ends absolutely enhance performance over the long run... If you are constantly taking off the ball cup to adjust spacers, it weakens and in my opinion is much more likely to pop off if you hit a board...
The current solution of AT21 pivot balls and the closed P13 ball ends for A700 cars has several reasons and is the result of some compromises as any other technical solution:

#1. We wanted to have only one-type lightweight pivot balls for all inner upper and lower ball joints of suspension. As you can see the idea of using as much as possible identical parts is found in A700 concept.

#2. Lower inner balls joints have to be 100% closed type to minimize the friction at operation.

#3. #1+#2 give the aluminium AT21 closed type ball design.

#4. The choosed AT21 closed type ball design doesn't reguire open type ball cups.

#5. Due to #4 and some others reasons the proven closed type ball cups from the famous manufacturer were choosed for our P13 ball cups.

#6. Additional benefit of AT21 design - you can use the set screws of the different lenght for installation at wide range of the shims under AT21.

#7. We supposed the use of 5,5mm thin flat wrench for unscrewing of all AT21 without the taking off the ball cups.

Recently we got possibility to invest more money in our own plastic molding and our mold for ball cups is under production now. These ball cups will be open type to suit all our available 4,8mm ball studs and pivot balls.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oleg Babich

Recently we got possibility to invest more money in our own plastic molding and our mold for ball cups is under production now. These ball cups will be open type to suit all our available 4,8mm ball studs and pivot balls.
Hopefully that will make people happy.. Now let's get back to praising the car and all the engineering behind it. I started putting the electronics in one FFG now i'm trying to get the second one ready by Saturday.

Last edited by Jerry P; 01-16-2014 at 04:48 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.