R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2014, 07:57 AM   #5176
Tech Elite
 
Jerry P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Astoria, NY
Posts: 2,436
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboy View Post
Is there a new chassis comming? I'm not a lover of ali, too easy to get tweaked in a bang, a stiffer carbon (not thicker) might be a good option, I found the original chassis carbon to be a bit soft. I do really like the new parts on the EVO though.

Bb
Which Chassis are you currently running? EXL or L?
__________________
Jerry P
Awesomatixusa - Side Piece Racing - LRP - Sweep Racing Tires - Mike L Designs - TQ Wires - Crispy Critters Raceway

www.awesomatixusa.com
Jerry P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #5177
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry P View Post
Which Chassis are you currently running? EXL or L?
I'm not. I had an A700 a couple of years ago and the chassic was soft, very easy to scratch up if you rode the kerbs, it felt "floppy" compared to other carbon, felt more like GRP sheet. The track I raced at was brutal, I loved the A700, hated the "DNF's" In truth I probably bought the car a bit too early, spare were difficult to get, trackside help and set ups were none existant. In the past 2 years things have changed and I am seriously looking to get another.

Bb
bucketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:51 AM   #5178
Tech Elite
 
Jerry P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Astoria, NY
Posts: 2,436
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboy View Post
I'm not. I had an A700 a couple of years ago and the chassic was soft, very easy to scratch up if you rode the kerbs, it felt "floppy" compared to other carbon, felt more like GRP sheet. The track I raced at was brutal, I loved the A700, hated the "DNF's" In truth I probably bought the car a bit too early, spare were difficult to get, trackside help and set ups were none existant. In the past 2 years things have changed and I am seriously looking to get another.

Bb
I am currently running the EXL chassis on carpet and ran it on asphalt and didnt feel the chassis was too flexible. I have even run T cut top decks because i wanted to soften the car up even more. Lot's of L chassis cars locally and i havent heard anyone complain about the chassis being soft. Some have even cut holes in to the chassis.
__________________
Jerry P
Awesomatixusa - Side Piece Racing - LRP - Sweep Racing Tires - Mike L Designs - TQ Wires - Crispy Critters Raceway

www.awesomatixusa.com
Jerry P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:06 AM   #5179
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 290
Default

The chassis is wide with few cut out so it was not too flexible but the sheet material was soft and compared to other carbon it certainly was not as springy, tap it with an allen key it had a duller thud rather than a matalic ring. It was also much easier to drill, file and sand than any other carbon I have used.

Where and when do you race? I'm in NY at the end of the month, if I find time, the wife lets me and the snow allows I might pop over for a look.



Bb

Last edited by bucketboy; 01-07-2014 at 09:27 AM.
bucketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #5180
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 290
Default

DP
bucketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #5181
Tech Elite
 
Jerry P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Astoria, NY
Posts: 2,436
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboy View Post
The chassis is wide with few cut out so it was not too flexible but the sheet material was soft and compared to other carbon it certainly was not as springy, tap it with an allen key it had a duller thud rather than a matalic ring. It was also much easier to drill, file and sand than any other carbon I have used.

Where and when do you race? I'm in NY at the end of the month, if I find time, the wife lets me and the snow allows I might pop over for a look.



Bb
I live in the NYC area and i race on Saturday's in Horsham PA (about 1.5 hours from nyc) and on sunday's i run at Crispy critters in NJ (about 40 minutes from NYC). A few of the Awesomatix guys (me included) will be going to snowbirds in FL at the end of month.
__________________
Jerry P
Awesomatixusa - Side Piece Racing - LRP - Sweep Racing Tires - Mike L Designs - TQ Wires - Crispy Critters Raceway

www.awesomatixusa.com
Jerry P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #5182
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 290
Default

Bit to far
bucketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #5183
Tech Elite
 
L.Fairtrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 3,746
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace
Default

Im curious as to why a "soft chassis" would cause DNF's?
__________________
T.O.P Racing - Awesomatix USA - EaMotorsports - BSR Racing Tires - Orca - TQ Wire - Solaris Racing Tires - Side Piece Racing

Horsham RC. Where champions practice Failing. I'm your everything.....
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #5184
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ipswich, England
Posts: 12
Default

Iv just been looking at Freddy's and viljami lastest set ups with the evo kit and I noticed that on the front top links they are running them at different lengths. The ff link is 2 or 1 holes longer than the fr link, I was just wandering why they are doing this and what affect it has on the car?
garnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #5185
Tech Champion
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,803
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry P View Post
I am currently running the EXL chassis on carpet and ran it on asphalt and didnt feel the chassis was too flexible. I have even run T cut top decks because i wanted to soften the car up even more. Lot's of L chassis cars locally and i havent heard anyone complain about the chassis being soft. Some have even cut holes in to the chassis.
DITTO
__________________
R C 3 G R A F I X _ F U S I O N . G R A P H I X _ S E A T T L E - R/C - R A C E R S _ E M E R A L D C I T Y R C . C O M

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #5186
Tech Champion
 
hanulec's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: @ the post office
Posts: 8,015
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Please sound out if your going to the 2014 Snowbirds. Right now I'm aware of the following folks attend (along w/ myself).

Karl Hoffmesiter
Jerry Perez
Monti "The Mangler"
Brian Wynn
Larry Fairtrace
Roberto Falcon
__________________
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:16 AM   #5187
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
Im curious as to why a "soft chassis" would cause DNF's?
Chassis was fine, caused no problem but there is now an ali (stiffer) chassis which is why I mentioned stiffer carbon chassis. DNF's were due to ball studs popping off, CVJ's springing apart, the tiny E clips on the drive shaft and CVJ'S pins falling off, steering rack over-riding the ball races on the steering posts, plastic C clips coming off the balls that hold the whishbones, stripped spur gears, shock torsion spring popping off, bent track rods that make up top A arms and a bent front' to rear drive shaft that shorted out and fried my speedo. As I said the track was brutal and to be fair, I never acually broke anything, it was fast, consistant, easy to drive and a joy to build but IMO is was too fragile.

Bb
bucketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:37 AM   #5188
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 717
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnham View Post
Iv just been looking at Freddy's and viljami lastest set ups with the evo kit and I noticed that on the front top links they are running them at different lengths. The ff link is 2 or 1 holes longer than the fr link, I was just wandering why they are doing this and what affect it has on the car?
You can get some benefits with the unequal top links.

The sample of FFG top balls arrangement:

FF hole is the 2nd
FR hole is the 4th

At this configuration the effective top link length is about 1mm shorter than at 3rd holes for FF and FR top balls and this is more easy to install as you do not have to unscrew AM42 and AM54 link holders every time to add some shims under balls. You can use ST24 steel ball studs with easy at this configuration.
Oleg Babich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:51 AM   #5189
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 424
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default GD1 Question

So I have two of the GD1s built exactly to the manual specifications. If I hold them with gear side down and when I turn the out-drive, the other side doesn't move. However if i push the out-drive into the diff, it moves fine (although slightly notchy). Both of my diffs are exactly the same... and i have built and rebuilt them 3 times. Granted, I know I am new to this car, but the only think i can think is there needs to be some shims added somewhere, but it isn't noted anywhere in the manual that it needs to be done. I saw a few posts on Petit that talked about grinding down a small part .15mm and adding .1 shims in there, but it really baffles me that would be necessary given how precise everything else is on this car?

Anyone else experience this with the Diff? is that why they came out with a GD2?

Thanks,
Justin
gocoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #5190
Tech Fanatic
 
erchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Union City, CA
Posts: 779
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocoogs View Post
So I have two of the GD1s built exactly to the manual specifications. If I hold them with gear side down and when I turn the out-drive, the other side doesn't move. However if i push the out-drive into the diff, it moves fine (although slightly notchy). Both of my diffs are exactly the same... and i have built and rebuilt them 3 times. Granted, I know I am new to this car, but the only think i can think is there needs to be some shims added somewhere, but it isn't noted anywhere in the manual that it needs to be done. I saw a few posts on Petit that talked about grinding down a small part .15mm and adding .1 shims in there, but it really baffles me that would be necessary given how precise everything else is on this car?

Anyone else experience this with the Diff? is that why they came out with a GD2?

Thanks,
Justin
The grinding down step was to push the larger gears closer to the 4 gear set, tightening things up slightly, and I think is a good thing to do. The gears in the diff are one of the very few things that aren't manufactured by Oleg's team, as as such have varying levels of quality, IMO. GD2 is a step towards quality, using XRAY gears (at this point), but also some other nice features. GD1 can be made to work extremely well, just take your time with it. If you can get it feeling smooth, which should be very possibly, it should perform nicely.

This is the original post by oleg.
Awesomatix EP Touring Car
__________________
RCAmerica ; Team Powers USA ; Reflex Racing ; RC≥ RC Crew Chief ; Bezerk RC
erchn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bendigo..Vic.. On Road Car Club VoneSkip Australian Racing 17189 Yesterday 03:25 PM
Topeka Onroad Racing Aaron P Kansas/Missouri Racing 10912 12-03-2016 08:53 PM
T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car keithander Electric On-Road 9053 02-24-2016 07:51 PM
Touring Car Custom Cut Urethane Chassis Protectors!! Rommel Electric On-Road 220 07-07-2013 10:23 PM
The prototype car is on the winning pace number_one Electric On-Road 163 01-12-2009 11:52 AM


Tags
yokomo


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:24 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0