R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #4651
Tech Master
 
Travis S's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Moline, IL
Posts: 1,372
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche928gs View Post
ThIs car looks very nice and is definitely different than the rest, but something I cannot comprehend is that you could buy two of the cars that constantly finish on the podium of major races for the price of it.
Money is just paper and debt is just a term...

The most popular A700L USA spec costs $727 new vs say $520 for your T4... Not sure what car you are talking about that you can get 2 of them for the price. I am sure whatever cars that are finishing on top are not "Box Stock" either.

I came from all Tamiya cars and when you start adding up all the "blue crack" hop up's, suspension blocks, springs, raceberry chassis for example it's really not that much different...

I got mine used... Still a lot of money no doubt, but I am very happy to be on team vodka and no plans on going back. I have found this car much easier to drive in all classes I have tried it in. The shock changes are so easy and I would never want to go back to standard springs/shocks with that maintenance.

I do highly recommend anyone who gets this car to get some Hudy setup gauges and the "caster doodles." This makes changing the rest of the car setup SOOO much easier.
Travis S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #4652
Tech Regular
 
masterhit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 468
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche928gs View Post
ThIs car looks very nice and is definitely different than the rest, but something I cannot comprehend is that you could buy two of the cars that constantly finish on the podium of major races for the price of it.
And just to pour it on some more... Most of the common consumables are very durable, and if they do break they are symmetrical. No left or right of anything, or front or rear of anything, except the add on pieces for the front and rear hubs.

In the end I wasn't toting nearly as much stuff and my parts stash was considerably smaller than with past cars.

Mike Slaughter
masterhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #4653
Tech Champion
 
Solara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,040
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkspeedo View Post
Are you using plastic gears in the rear diff?
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhit View Post
I agree with where Brent is going if you are using plastic diff gears. Grab and hold a rear wheel and the spur and give the other wheel a spin to see if the clicking noise shows up. Or even spin the drivetrain (without pinion) by hand and quickly grab one of the rear wheels.

Or pull the diff out (its so quick and easy to do) and give the gears a look over and if you can see significant gear material in the fluid and add a .1mm shim behind the outdrive gear.

You should hitch a ride with Dave Arnold sometime and come check out the freshly carpeted GR track!

Mike Slaughter
Thanks for the heads up....actually, nothing on the diff, diff still works great. It turned out to be the old style SPUR GEAR adaptor that use the HEX NUT and tighten it down, and that nut was loose....it stripped one of the ball diff housing on the kimbrough spur gear and making that clicking sound when I brakes...

I think I need to update to the slipped adaptor for it....there is no way I can tightened the old system without getting slipped with couple brakes using...

Btw....driving down with DAVE ARNOLD...? OH no...no thank you, I rather walk by myself, because I am sure Dave will give me a BS, Master and PHD degrees on 12th scale for dummy lesson once we are on the road.....
__________________
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/

Last edited by Solara; 10-31-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #4654
Tech Regular
 
porsche928gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Saginaw Texas and Orlando Florida
Posts: 379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis S View Post
Money is just paper and debt is just a term...

The most popular A700L USA spec costs $727 new vs say $520 for your T4... Not sure what car you are talking about that you can get 2 of them for the price. I am sure whatever cars that are finishing on top are not "Box Stock" either.

I came from all Tamiya cars and when you start adding up all the "blue crack" hop up's, suspension blocks, springs, raceberry chassis for example it's really not that much different...

I got mine used... Still a lot of money no doubt, but I am very happy to be on team vodka and no plans on going back. I have found this car much easier to drive in all classes I have tried it in. The shock changes are so easy and I would never want to go back to standard springs/shocks with that maintenance.

I do highly recommend anyone who gets this car to get some Hudy setup gauges and the "caster doodles." This makes changing the rest of the car setup SOOO much easier.
Team Associated t6.1 wc for example. I'm sorry but when I check the price on the web site it was over 800. As far as Xray, I haven't break a single part since I bought it.(over a year ago) the only and theonly upgrades were specr front axles and a set of 2.7 springs. The rest has been bodies, tires and shock oil. But regardless if there's value or not I understand is a personal choice and I respect it.
__________________
AKA Gilberto Santos
MikesHobbyshop.com SuperiorHobbies.com
Xray T4 and Yokomo BD7 2014 -Airtronics M12 Sponsored by Amex :-) open to other sponsorships!
porsche928gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:41 PM   #4655
Tech Master
 
Magnet Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,926
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

By the way , Dual joint front axles are included in all A700 kits.

With the car being very popular now, one doesn't need to purchase much in spares because it's becoming commonplace to have support at almost any race.

Our local club has over 10 A700 drivers now.

Jake D.
__________________
AWESOMATIX -- ORCA -- GRAVITY R/C -- SEATTLE R/C RACERS
Magnet Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #4656
Tech Champion
 
hanulec's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: @ the post office
Posts: 8,007
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.C View Post
My VTA setup from this past weekend's Halloween Classic is posted below. The setup is a 99% carbon copy of Larry's TC setup. The deviation in setup is the additional weight to make the 1550g min and roller center to get the feel I was looking for. I don't get to say this often, but, I felt I had the fastest and best handling car in the VTA class. My next event will be the Indoor Champs, I look forward to meeting up with the other Awesomatix drivers again.

Attachment 1128648
John- I'm happy to hear the Fairtrace/Hanulec base setup worked for you. It is right now my go-to from the outdoor season. I cannot wait to try Karl and Gee setups in the next few weeks...

i've added your setup online too -- http://www.awesomatixusa.com/p/setup-sheets.html
__________________
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:17 AM   #4657
Tech Champion
 
hanulec's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: @ the post office
Posts: 8,007
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Good luck to everyone at the ETS opener this weekend. Hope everyone does MAXIMUM good...
__________________
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #4658
Tech Elite
 
bkspeedo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fort Fun, CO
Posts: 3,067
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I haven't seen this posted yet but i know it's happened to many as I've found them on the track at the 2 national races I've been to lately.

I'm having problems loosing swaybar mounts, P05. If you tap a corner hard enough with the wheel turned the wheel can turn in hard enough to hit the swaybar causing the mount to pop out and fall off the car. I've done a few things like put longer screws in the steering block to stop the wheel from turning in to far, and I've put the sway bar in upside down so the angle at the end is up versus down but everyone once in awhile I hit a corner just right and loose a mount.

Has anyone come up with a method to keep the mount at least on the swaybar so you don't loose it?

I was thinking about putting a small piece of shrink wrap on the end of the bar so the mount won't be lost it will just need to be reinserted.

Oleg, If a better solution to keep the bottom of P05 in P04 could be found it would be greatly appreciated. Maybe make the opening in P04 where the ball of P05 inserts smaller so it snaps in harder would help. I think this happens more in the US than Europe due to the bearer systems we use.
__________________
Brent Klingforth
Sponsors: Awesomatix USA ~ Roche USA ~ ORCA ~ AVID Bearings ~ R1 Wurks
TQ Wire ~ ProtoForm ~ BSR Racing Tires ~ 2mm Design
5280raceway.com [Operated by - Colorado On-Road RC Club]
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 20-23rd 2017 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #4659
Tech Master
 
Travis S's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Moline, IL
Posts: 1,372
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkspeedo View Post
Has anyone come up with a method to keep the mount at least on the swaybar so you don't loose it?

I was thinking about putting a small piece of shrink wrap on the end of the bar so the mount won't be lost it will just need to be reinserted.
The only part other then spurs that I have had to replace in my A700 so far is that U mount for the sway bar. Mine came off as well with hitting a board. Simple fix is to not hit anything I know.

I do have an idea for the future, but I think it would require a little bit longer ends to the sway bars. You could then add a circle type clamp at the end. So if it does pop off the U holder will not get lost. The way it is now the clamp at the end doesn't have enough room. So another say 3-5mm on the end should give plenty of room to add one of these without interfering with the movement.

Attached Thumbnails
Awesomatix EP Touring Car-20131101_110849.jpg  
Travis S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #4660
Tech Master
 
John.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Track
Posts: 1,290
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkspeedo View Post
I haven't seen this posted yet but i know it's happened to many as I've found them on the track at the 2 national races I've been to lately.

I'm having problems loosing swaybar mounts, P05. If you tap a corner hard enough with the wheel turned the wheel can turn in hard enough to hit the swaybar causing the mount to pop out and fall off the car. I've done a few things like put longer screws in the steering block to stop the wheel from turning in to far, and I've put the sway bar in upside down so the angle at the end is up versus down but everyone once in awhile I hit a corner just right and loose a mount.

Has anyone come up with a method to keep the mount at least on the swaybar so you don't loose it?

I was thinking about putting a small piece of shrink wrap on the end of the bar so the mount won't be lost it will just need to be reinserted.

Oleg, If a better solution to keep the bottom of P05 in P04 could be found it would be greatly appreciated. Maybe make the opening in P04 where the ball of P05 inserts smaller so it snaps in harder would help. I think this happens more in the US than Europe due to the bearer systems we use.
Hi Brent - There's 2 ways to prevent or limit losing the mounts. 1st is to put a dab of Shoegoo on the tips of the sway bars. 2nd is to put a thin heat shrink or wire insulator on the tips of the sway bar. Both methods won't prevent the mount from popping out but you won't lose them when it does.
__________________
- Middle River Hobbies - The Track -
John.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #4661
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 2,147
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

definitely have had a problem with this too, thoguht about putting a dab of shoe goo on the end of my sway bar to prevent it from popping out. Have also seen guys run heat shrink as well.

I posted this before I read the other two.... had the thread sitting open for awhile
__________________
SpeedMerchant Rev7
oceanhighz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #4662
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,046
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
For the first controlled practice, Sudhoff will run a new design of differential in his car which was only delivered to he hotel just before lunch time. He said the diff is ‘typical Oleg (Babich) design’ and just in his hand already feels a lot smoother than the previous design.
Smoother gear diff? Sounds interesting.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #4663
Tech Champion
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,803
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.C View Post
Hi Brent - There's 2 ways to prevent or limit losing the mounts. 1st is to put a dab of Shoegoo on the tips of the sway bars. 2nd is to put a thin heat shrink or wire insulator on the tips of the sway bar. Both methods won't prevent the mount from popping out but you won't lose them when it does.
I'm definitely gonna give the heat shrink a shot John...thanks
__________________
R C 3 G R A F I X _ F U S I O N . G R A P H I X _ S E A T T L E - R/C - R A C E R S _ E M E R A L D C I T Y R C . C O M

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #4664
Tech Regular
 
masterhit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 468
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Wow! Freddy and the Evo are taking the fight to Yokomo in the first round!

Mike Slaughter
Attached Thumbnails
Awesomatix EP Touring Car-screen-shot-2013-11-01-5.14.36-pm.jpg  
masterhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #4665
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,644
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

If Usgt was 8Minutes, Ray's tc4 would have lapped the Field !!!! No way to beat that tc4 with an Xray T3 !!! The tc4 guys are superfast, and can only be matched by the Awesomatix.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis S View Post
Karl - DO WORK SON! Grats on the TQ and win. Would have been cool to see how an 8 min USGT main would have worked out (That is what they should be...)

I wish I could have a weekend do-over myself... Still had fun and learned plenty from my many mistakes I made. Anyways, it was nice to meet you guys. Hopefully the next big race I manage to make I can represent and not ride on the fail train.

Any setup sheets for the A main group in 17.5? Also John C. do you have a setup sheet for that VTA ride?
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Topeka Onroad Racing Aaron P Kansas/Missouri Racing 10912 12-03-2016 08:53 PM
Bendigo..Vic.. On Road Car Club VoneSkip Australian Racing 17188 11-13-2016 04:24 AM
T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car keithander Electric On-Road 9053 02-24-2016 07:51 PM
Touring Car Custom Cut Urethane Chassis Protectors!! Rommel Electric On-Road 220 07-07-2013 10:23 PM
The prototype car is on the winning pace number_one Electric On-Road 163 01-12-2009 11:52 AM


Tags
yokomo


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:11 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0