R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #3841
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
How much taller is AM18-1 than the top deck?

How much shorter is AM19 than AM18-1?

In the setup Mike mentioned, Kutvonen says he's measuring the shim height from the top deck, and is using AM18-1 up front. It appears to be in the hole that overlaps with AM19, so I'm trying to figure out how much I would need to shim AM19 to be at the same height.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRGDcux4GEw&sns=em
Old 07-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #3842
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood View Post
I know... I know.

I don't have an AM18-1, but it shares a common hole with AM19 which I do have, so I was just trying to figure out how I need shim the ball to keep it the same height between the two of them.

Does this method for measuring caster work okay? It's one Korgae mentioned last year. I was thinking I could duplicate it by just screwing a spare tie rod into the hole and using it as an indicator.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #3843
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Does this method for measuring caster work okay? It's one Korgae mentioned last year. I was thinking I could duplicate it by just screwing a spare tie rod into the hole and using it as an indicator.
I tried using an old shock shaft and it worked good, so I'm sure a tie rod would too. Though once you get used to using calipers like the manual shows I think it's easier that way.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:20 AM   #3844
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Using a shock shaft is a great idea. Gotta put that ancient technology to use some how.

Just imagine syndrome... Once you figure out your best way to set caster you can start to heckle everyone about how often they rebuild their shocks..
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #3845
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Does this method for measuring caster work okay?
I am not so hung up on if I have 2,4 or 12 degrees of castor and I don't like to do math. I like to just measure off the ground with calipers to the top of the screw head on the steering block or rear block. This measurement method can change a little depending on if you measure with tires or set up gauges on, or the static ride height. I do feel it helps to make sure you have both sides the same height off the ground, which is the most important thing. If I want to make a change I just adjust it any where from .05 to .100 and I can feel a difference on the track.

I like to dumb things down a lot and keep things simple. I am sure some racers have to know an exact degree but to me it's all relative. Just be consistent on how you measure and it will work out fine in the end.

Monti
Monti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #3846
Tech Initiate

Send a message via ICQ to !Mad Max! Send a message via Skype™ to !Mad Max!

Hey Guys ,
here are my way to measure the caster. A friend of me made it on a CNC.
It fits perfectly with the Hudy Setup System
Viljami already use the Tools from me.

Best Regards
Max
Attached Thumbnails
Awesomatix EP Touring Car-image-11-.jpeg   Awesomatix EP Touring Car-image-12-.jpeg   Awesomatix EP Touring Car-image-10-.jpeg  
!Mad Max! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #3847
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Setup

Your setup adapters look almost like mine . The only problem with yours is there's nothing to square them up to the axle. If they are twisted just a little it can be as much as 2 degrees at the gauge. Mine have a small ridge that you push it back against the face of the hub . The screw hole is also slotted so you just loosen the screw and slide them in place.
AARON YOUNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #3848
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by AARON YOUNG View Post
Your setup adapters look almost like mine . The only problem with yours is there's nothing to square them up to the axle. If they are twisted just a little it can be as much as 2 degrees at the gauge. Mine have a small ridge that you push it back against the face of the hub . The screw hole is also slotted so you just loosen the screw and slide them in place.
His have a counter sunk bottom that wraps around the top of the hub so it doesnt look like it can twist from the pics.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #3849
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post
I tried using an old shock shaft and it worked good, so I'm sure a tie rod would too. Though once you get used to using calipers like the manual shows I think it's easier that way.
I still use my method today easy to do and easy to repeat... I use a X-ray 808 outer hing pin, it has a machined head on it so you can screw them in tight and straight. But... If anyone wants to machine those pointer pieces and sell them, put me on the list!

WCICS- Competition Director
Korgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #3850
Tech Master

Is this car good out of the box and what spares would i need
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #3851
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosko View Post
Is this car good out of the box and what spares would i need
yup. the a700l won the reedy race 17.5t class box stock!

spares- http://shop.awesomatixusa.com/catalo...sult/?q=spares
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
Old 07-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #3852
Tech Lord

I finally got an opportunity to run the A700L yesterday. Here are my thoughts:

Our current layout is the same as we had at MHIC, though the grip is lower. I've put down many thousands of laps on this layout, mostly with a T4 but some with a 417X as well.

I couldn't decide on a setup, so I created my own. My goal was to use as many different colored shims as possible so that my car would look like an anodized rainbow. Once I got it on the track, I made a few changes. Most notably, removing the sway bars and all the optional flex screws from the bottom of the chassis. By the end of the night, I had beat all of my best times set by either of my other cars, went faster in the main than all 3 13.5 A-mains's from MHIC, and missed Art's track record by .2. In traffic. And traction was crappier than usual last night since summer turnouts are always on the low side. There's certainly more time to be found through coming up with a meaningful setup.

The car turned like a car should turn, and the rear gripped well enough to get it around the track easily. I would like it to rotate harder, and not want to spin out at the end of the sweeper, but those are the sort of things that work themselves out with more grip and a setup that isn't based on clown shoes. I didn't hit anything all night, the car was ridiculously predictable and easy to drive on a night where my other cars would have struggled with the traction.

I've often wondered, and am now convinced: Shaft drive is undeniably faster in spec classes. It was pretty stunning to me how fast and hard the car would leap out of the turns. I could see it in every corner. Other people could see it as well. I felt like I was able to get back into the power faster than other people, and hold more power through sweeping sections.

There's a corner on our track around the first pole (we call it "Rick Hohwart corner" after MHIC) where you're almost full speed, and then make a hard left turn into a short section, so that you've got a ton of weight transferred to the outside of the car. You can see it in the video if you're interested. Anyway, with the T4 and the 417, the cars would often get unsettled there if you didn't lift because they would roll over too much. With the A700L, it's like that turn wasn't even there. I just glided through with as much speed as I wanted. And the way the car transitions through fast sections is stunning. Chicanes have never felt so effortless.

Complete strangers visiting our track (local off-road guys) came up to me asking about the car, saying it looked amazing on the track. Nobody ever says my cars look amazing, or even good. I drive in deep, brake, drive out hard. It's an ugly style, I get it. But not with this car, I was able to drive easy and smooth, and went faster when I did.

Do I sound convinced? I am. I've driven a lot of cars. I feel like I've been on a quest for years now to find one that has the right feel on the track. A car that complements the way I like to drive. It's still early, after all, I've only driven the car in a single club race, but it certainly feels like I'm finally moving in the right direction.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #3853
Tech Champion

Congrats Syndrome. Makes me happy to see you happy. Now we just need to get you to ditch that wedding you have to attend and go to IIC . Relationships fail.... Make things happen

I'd like to see that setup as I'll soon be hitting the rub again...
Old 07-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #3854
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

That's cool to hear Syndrome. Too bad you aren't able to go to IIC with it ! I assume you are still using Jaco Blue's , so a setup that is good at 5280 should be a good setup for IIC ( once traction cones up ) since Jaco blue is the usual spec tire there too. Ditto what Mike said on breaking up that relationship ( joke ). I'm not sure I can go to IIC but it would be helpful to see your setup, hopefully you can post it here for everyone to see?

Cheers,

Jake D.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #3855
Tech Lord

Unfortunately, it's my brother-in-law (wife's youngest brother), so there's no reasonable way out. I did let them both know to inform me first if they break up. I'm gonna try to make 'birds, we'll see though.

I don't mind sharing the setup, but I'd feel pretty silly giving you guys something I mostly just guessed at, and spent almost no time trying to improve. I'll get something together though.

And yep, Jaco blues still. I was surprised how many people said our track was as close to IIC as anything. I always feel like it throws people off since we get a lot of forward grip but side bite is much slower to come up. Probably the kind of sub-floor we use. You get used to it after a while, but when I'm at tracks with a ton of side bite, I feel like spend most the time remembering to throw the cars into the turn more aggressively.