Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #3601
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Babich View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet Top
Just remember that until Awesomatix / Oleg offers a spur gear with the required 5mm holes you will not be able to use it *unless* you modify your own spur gear
**OR** use a small bushing. This would allow normal non modified spur gears to be used with the optional dampener
Is SH2.7R done with rubber? As a 5mm hole in my spur is pretty impossible to do (Panaracer/Xenon Spurs), can I replace SH2.7R by a piece of hose (? = "durite" in french)?

What do you suggest to replace SH2.7R when it's very difficult to make a bigger hole in the spur?
What brand of spur do you recommend to use with the dampening spur system?

Best regrads,
G-rem
G-rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #3602
Tech Addict

Use these holes.

SH2.7R is the rubber collar.
Oleg Babich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #3603
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Oleg, good day.

Any plans of making/creating our own line of spur?
And, yeah, (just like G-rem's inquiry) what spur would you recommend for this mod?

Cheers.

JC
On-road 1/10 F1: 3Racing FGX + RC9394 Carbon Conversion AE BD/Team Orion/Ko Propo
josecarlo1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:25 AM   #3604
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-rem View Post
Is SH2.7R done with rubber? As a 5mm hole in my spur is pretty impossible to do (Panaracer/Xenon Spurs), can I replace SH2.7R by a piece of hose (? = "durite" in french)?

What do you suggest to replace SH2.7R when it's very difficult to make a bigger hole in the spur?
What brand of spur do you recommend to use with the dampening spur system?

Best regrads,
G-rem
If you are in a situation where you have to use a standard gear without being able to enlarge the holes you can use a ball point pen's ink tube that has the correct dimension for using the existing 3mm holes in the gear. 3mm OD, 2mm ID tube. I just happened to have a ball point pen within ten feet of me that has nearly perfect dimensions so I was able to use it successfully. Hopefully it can be tested soon. See picture. Its a "Paper-Mate" brand pen.

Jake D.
Attached Thumbnails
Awesomatix EP Touring Car-photo.jpg  
Old 06-07-2013, 02:42 AM   #3605
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet Top View Post
If you are in a situation where you have to use a standard gear without being able to enlarge the holes you can use a ball point pen's ink tube that has the correct dimension for using the existing 3mm holes in the gear. 3mm OD, 2mm ID tube. I just happened to have a ball point pen within ten feet of me that has nearly perfect dimensions so I was able to use it successfully. Hopefully it can be tested soon. See picture. Its a "Paper-Mate" brand pen.
Jake D.
But please remember that you will not have the damping of the spur gear with these hard plastic collars.

We plan to produce our line of Delrin machined spur gears with two additional 5mm holes.

I recommend RW gears for use now. But it is possible to use any other spur gears except of the spurs with 3-holes configuration ( some of XRAY gears for example).
Please use the spurs with more than 2.7mm thickness. The thinner gears require the additional shims.
Oleg Babich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:50 AM   #3606
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE SI View Post
What kind of set up wheels are those? They look awesome
TAMIYA Part Nr. 49140 Aluminum Setting Wheels

Regards,
John
John Doucakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:50 AM   #3607
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks a lot for all the replies, so I can note that Panaracer spurs and Xenon spurs are not the same regarding the hole for the fixation of the spur. Will try to get some Xenon or RW...

BTW, if Awesomatix is planning to make his own range of spurs, I hope it will be CNC machined Delrin spurs, like the RW... just a tought ;-)

Regards,
G-rem
G-rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #3608
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Well I got my kit and started the build.. WOW... couple reasons for the wow.... lol im used to the "normal" kits. this thing is hard to build. After taking your time and finishing up the part your on, I just put it on my pit board, sit back and go wow!!! The ECS and the axles are crazy no e clips or anything although a bit tricky to put together when you are done with them there is no slop or anything! Just finished the rear shocks this morning, only thing I had to skip was the droop screws? I dont understand does it press into the chassis? the other part I can not find is the locking pieces for the axles? Anyway just waiting for work to be done so I can finish it. With a little luck and determination first run tomorrow!
WEEZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #3609
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEZY View Post
Well I got my kit and started the build.. WOW... couple reasons for the wow.... lol im used to the "normal" kits. this thing is hard to build. After taking your time and finishing up the part your on, I just put it on my pit board, sit back and go wow!!! The ECS and the axles are crazy no e clips or anything although a bit tricky to put together when you are done with them there is no slop or anything! Just finished the rear shocks this morning, only thing I had to skip was the droop screws? I dont understand does it press into the chassis? the other part I can not find is the locking pieces for the axles? Anyway just waiting for work to be done so I can finish it. With a little luck and determination first run tomorrow!
Yes, the plastic inserts for the droop screws press into the chassis, and then you ca them in place to lock them in. The setcrews then thread into the plastic insert. The lock washers for the axles are black plastic rings, they almost look like all the other shims but they are plastic.

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/LRP/Sweep Racing/RSD/Middle River Hobbies/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #3610
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEZY View Post
Well I got my kit and started the build.. WOW... couple relocking or the wow.... lol im used to the "normal" kits. this thing is hard to build. After taking your time and finishing up the part your on, I just put it on my pit board, sit back and go wow!!! The ECS and the axles are crazy no e clips or anything although a bit tricky to put together when you are done with them there is no slop or anything! Just finished the rear shocks this morning, only thing I had to skip was the droop screws? I dont understand does it press into the chassis? the other part I can not find is the locking pieces for the axles? Anyway just waiting for work to be done so I can finish it. With a little luck and determination first run tomorrow!
The front axles are tricky.

The droop screws go I to the p06 and those are glued into the chassis.

The hub locking plastic parts are the p16. All in the plastic bag. They are super small.
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #3611
Tech Regular

Sweet thanks for the help, when I ordered the kit I think thats the difference between this car and other brands. Everyone helps out and answers questions with what is working with their cars! Thanks alot guys!
WEEZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #3612
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey Ryan ( WEEZY ),

It is a good idea to get to installing P06 sooner than later as it becomes difficult to install them as the build proceeds. Also, it is important to test them by installing set screws before moving on. My method for installation is this:
Slide P06 onto a suitable hex wrench ( some hex wrenches work better than others, so you might have to find an alternative. something with a step in it, but you could use a pinion gear as a step / shoulder ) so it acts as a guide and also allows you to put some pressure on P06 during and after it snaps into the hole. You'll have to hang the chassis over the end of a table to do this. Also, I put some CA ( that doesn't dry too quickly ) on P06 and in the chassis hole just before I install it.
Then I let it sit for a good while ( for me and my particular brand of CA , an hour seems to be enough ) before testing it by screwing in the set screws for the first time.
After a successful install you can take a flat razor blade and shave off the extra plastic that extends under the chassis. note that P06 should be installed from the top of the chassis.

Hope that helps,

Jake D.

Last edited by Magnet Top; 06-07-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Magnet Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #3613
Tech Champion

Kicker has become my new friend with the p06.
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
Old 06-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #3614
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet Top View Post
Hey Ryan ( WEEZY ),

It is a good idea to get to installing P06 sooner than later as it becomes difficult to install them as the build proceeds. Also, it is important to test them by installing set screws before moving on. My method for installation is this:
Slide P06 onto a suitable hex wrench ( some hex wrenches work better than others, so you might have to find an alternative. something with a step in it, but you could use a pinion gear as a step / shoulder ) so it acts as a guide and also allows you to put some pressure on P06 during and after it snaps into the hole. You'll have to hang the chassis over the end of a table to do this. Also, I put some CA ( that doesn't dry too quickly ) on P06 and in the chassis hole just before I install it.
Then I let it sit for a good while ( for me and my particular brand of CA , an hour seems to be enough ) before testing it by screwing in the set screws for the first time.
After a successful install you can take a flat razor blade and shave off the extra plastic that extends under the chassis. note that P06 should be installed from the top of the chassis.

Hope that helps,

Jake D.
I also ended up filing small notches in the graphite (very little is needed), so the CA has some more surface to grab onto. Roughing up the plastic external shoulder of P06 is definitely helpful as well.

Ethan
Old 06-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #3615
Tech Champion

Thanks for the tip Ethan..